Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was trying to replace the old plugs. I bought new once and I forgot which wire goes in 1,2,...etc. A newbie :(

I have a 1992 Cadillac STS 4.9-liter. I would like help in the spark plug's wires from the engine to the coil. I mean the arrangement, how do I know which to plug in number one, two , etc

A picture or a drawing of an engine with these wire connect would be a great help.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I believe this engine uses the standard GM timing of "1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2"..... Correct me if im wrong.... The wires go into the distributor starting at the top left, and keep putting them in a counter clockwise direction....

Anyway, they have the pictures of what your talking about in the owners manual.... however, I think the no 1 cylinder is the one on the front of the engine, all the way right (facing the engine)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. The numbers are written on the cap of the distributor, but for the wire coming from the sprak plug or the cylinder. I should have no. 1 in the far right of the engine, then no.2 would be the in the opposite side, right? then no. 3 is right after no 1 and so on. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Yes you are correct.... No 2 would be in the far right, rear.. 3 would be in the front 2nd to the right, 4 would be 2nd to the right in the back, and so on.......

The numbers on the distributor mean you plug that number into that cylinder.... IE you put the spark plug wire going from no1 on the distributor to the no1 cylinder....

This is kinda confusing :bonkers: so I hope this makes sense!

If you are doing the plugs and wires, PLEASE save yourself the trouble and do one at a time...... It makes life so much easier, as you take all those wires off and it can turn into a real mess.......

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Try doing them one at a time so as to not get confused and run into problems. If need be label with tape and # each one from the cap then dissconect those ends. Then go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts