Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Seville SLS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys have a diagram of where the spark plug wires go into the coil pack, i need it with numbers, that would life so easy. Thank you guys!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Coil packs on my 99 are numbered as to which plug goes where - not sure about previous generation Seville. You have to look around the back though - its not obvious and they are often obscured by the wires.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Agreed. Each coil has two numbers on it in white. Those numbers correspond to the spark plugs. The front bank is 2-4-6-8 and the rear bank is 1-3-5-7.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Seville SLS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after looking for a picture online, I found it and i now know why my car had so much lose of power. 4 cables were mixed, I can't believe the engine didn't get messed up like this. The prev. owner changed the coil packs and they weren't OEM, so it didn't have the numbers. Now my Caddy is sounding great and accelerating like it should!

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Here is a question on the 2000 and newer that the coil packs are on the spark plugs directly. Do they connect directly to the plug or is there a short wire between them ? So if I am replacing the plugs do I need anything else or is it just the plugs ?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Here is a question on the 2000 and newer that the coil packs are on the spark plugs directly. Do they connect directly to the plug or is there a short wire between them ? So if I am replacing the plugs do I need anything else or is it just the plugs ?
I just did the plugs on my wife's coil-on-plug 2000 Concorde and all I needed were the plugs. I would think N* should be the same. The coil and spark plug boot were all one piece.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
yeah but I think you are suppose to replace the boots as well on the Northstar. Can someone confirm this ? I should probably get the boots from the dealer shouldn't I or will a place like autozone have them ?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
I don't know for sure, but unless they were carbon tracked I see no reason to replace them. I wouldn't. Admittedly, I have not checked to see what the "bible" says.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
What are the benefits of using an iridium plug ?
I had ngk iridiums in my 99 before the motor went and it seemed to have a stronger pick up speed does that mean the spark is stronger ?

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I would use the delcos I have always liked them but on visiting there site they don't make my plug in an iridium and I am wanting them because I want them to last a long time.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Original Equipment is great but by using Aftermarket you are getting a better product because the manufacturer probably uses a lower grade product to keep costs down. Especailly GM these days with them paying more for health care then steel !

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Well it's about that time she is starting to skip but I think I am going to stick with the delco plugs considering the densos cost 100 bucks for a set of 8.
So this weekend may be the weekend I finaly replace the plugs.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
yeah but I think you are suppose to replace the boots as well on the Northstar. Can someone confirm this ? I should probably get the boots from the dealer shouldn't I or will a place like autozone have them ?
My Northstar manual set disappeared. I looked up my CTS/V manuals. The section on the 5.7 says replace the plugs. Period. It also says to check the wires for cracks, carbon streaking, etc. It does not automatically say to replace them.

The 3.6 does not even have plug wires.

As I recall, the Northstars did have a problem with moisture and heat on the plug wires/boots. I wish I could be more specific. If the veh has 100k miles on it, I would seriously consider replacing the wires--with real GM wires.

(I am big on preventive maintenance.)

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Well I just got done doing my coil on plug 2000 STS and let me tell you it was no walk in the park. I did get them all out with no problems until I got to the last boot and it was stuck on there pretty good it took some time to get it off. By the looks of the old plugs they where due they looked pretty bad. The funny thing is I removed the first one I expected to see delco plugs in there and they where all Denso plugs. Did GM start using Denso plugs stock ? Well I thought they would be delco's so that is what I put in there and when I started her up she sounded alot stronger. Now I just need to get cleaned up and go take her for a ride and see how she likes her new plugs :)

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Well I'm perfectly happy with the delcos the car was at 104k and I noticed it was staring to run a little sketchy. Of course when I fired up the car after putting in the new plugs it runs perfect again :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts