Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 catera has been misfiring (again) as of late. I took it to a shop and they said they would start out by replacing the spark plug wires due to an arc around the plugs. Problem was, they wanted $800 for parts and labor! Thats crazy talk, so I said I'd do it myself.

I ordered the parts last weekend and they should be here by Thursday. Then I'll get started with the work. I was just curious as to if anyone on the board has replaced the plug wires themself and if they had any pointers. I noticed they look like they're pretty hard to get too, so I assume I'll be removing some parts for access.

Oh yeah, and after this fix, the Catera is GONE! I'm selling it due to its high maintenance cost. I spent $2000 in repairs in the last two months. Good god!!

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
i don't know it might be different but my 2000 has coil on plug setup it doesn't actually have plugs. but if yours has plugs it shouldn't be very hard. if your unsure which wire goes where i would pull and swap them one at a time so you don't mix the firing order up.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
i replaced my wires and coil pack not very hard to do had to take the wiper motor out to get to the coil pack you may have to take your plenum off just 4 bolts and some hoses no big deal what helped me was i went to my caddy dealer and he printed me a copy of how the wireswent and in what order from the coil pack to the spark plug this will take you a couple of hours

1 - 3 of 3 Posts