Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a miss with a P0300 Current code. Low on power and mostly noticeable at idle and it's surging
100 rpms waiting at a light. Sometimes it'll smooth out a bit and then get bad again. Still driveable though. Easy
cruise on the freeway. Need to get it sorted out though. Looking at Coils on Rock Auto and the prices go from
$14 to $43. There is one cheaper but, at least the $14 ones look like the $43 ones! Guess which one is Standard
and which one is Delco! LOL Will the inexpensive ones work or ?????

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
I'm having a miss with a P0300 Current code. Low on power and mostly noticeable at idle and it's surging
100 rpms waiting at a light. Sometimes it'll smooth out a bit and then get bad again. Still driveable though. Easy
cruise on the freeway. Need to get it sorted out though. Looking at Coils on Rock Auto and the prices go from
$14 to $43. There is one cheaper but, at least the $14 ones look like the $43 ones! Guess which one is Standard
and which one is Delco! LOL Will the inexpensive ones work or ?????
I had same problem u having now ,, drivable for a week or so n all of sudden got worse at the point couldn't barely pull in my driveway,, so i bought a ignition tester and tested just 4 front coils on my 04 deville and 3 had weak spark and 1 had no spark at all,, so i went today just bought 4 coils in the rail n problem solved ,my car aint possesed no more

----------

I had same problem u having now ,, drivable for a week or so n all of sudden got worse at the point couldn't barely pull in my driveway,, so i bought a ignition tester and tested just 4 front coils on my 04 deville and 3 had weak spark and 1 had no spark at all,, so i went today just bought 4 coils in the rail n problem solved ,my car aint possesed no more
And i had just that same code to P0300

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Coils: Which Ones?

"so i went today just bought 4 coils in the rail n problem solved ,my car aint possesed no more"

What brand, store or salvage yard? Mind letting me know how much for the 4 on the rail?
I've never bought them before.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
"so i went today just bought 4 coils in the rail n problem solved ,my car aint possesed no more"

What brand, store or salvage yard? Mind letting me know how much for the 4 on the rail?
I've never bought them before.
I bought 4 on the rail at autozone $170 including taxes,,, they were cheapest i found good quality Duralast lifetime warranty,i never had problems with that brand so far,, i went to a salvalge yard but didnt find em ,,and honestly u dont want to buy them at salvage yard cause u dont know how long they will last

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Only thing I buy from salvage yard are hard parts. Nothing electronic. I've read a lot of slams on AZ but,
parts I've bought there have just worked. Years later they replace them if they fail and are on warranty.
Only parts I've replaced have been ones with a lifetime warranty. With 8 vehicles, it's just easier to
keep track of where you bought the parts! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts

:tisk: Stay out of AutoZone for anything other than "dumb parts" (wiper blades, fluids, filters, bulbs etc). We don't call them "Don'tLast" parts for nothing.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
:tisk: Stay out of AutoZone for anything other than "dumb parts" (wiper blades, fluids, filters, bulbs etc). We don't call them "Don'tLast" parts for nothing.
I got lifetime warranty,if they go bad i take em back get my refund,, i needed em asap n were cheapest for same day n in stock

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts

Salvage yards are littered with Northstars. I have like 3 banks of coils that cost me pennies on the dollar compared to OEM. I had one coil going slightly south and just swapped in a salvage yard bank and marked the old coil as "weak". Considering the "weak" coil has about 150k on it and still fires ~99% of the time I would s say these things don't die all too often.
Let 'natural selection' take its course... :sunnynana:

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1998 DeVille Cylinder Misfires

Well, updated my AE software today and hooked it up to the DeVille. Misfiring while at idle. Reason for lumpy idle and
low on power, most of the time. Sometimes she takes off like a scalded dog! Anyway, history shows Cylinder #3 270 misfires, Cylinder #7 over 31,000 misfires, & Cylinder #8 over 10,000 misfires. Rest are basically nothing. Running current misfires
7 & 8 will pop up while watching it and car riding rough. Have already replaced coils. Guessing I should be ordering Delco
wires and spark plugs next?
Ordered the recommended AC/Delco plugs and wires for the car. Clearing the codes/History today
and have a couple hundred mile trip today. Haven't done that since changing out the coils. Curious
to see where I'm at. Should be changing the plugs/wires next week. Looking forward to getting
my performance back!

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I will trace them back and make sure. Labeled all wires before removing them. Also took a picture with the labels on them.
I ordered new delco wires & platinum plugs today. Cleared all of the codes and I'll see what's current driving up to
Saginaw today. Thank you for the pic.!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts

There's more in my 2 picture albums. Click my username, open the profile. Left column - 2 albums, 6 pages of Seville and Northstar stuff.

Hover over each picture for the name.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Thank you!
Drove 220 miles after clearing the codes yesterday. I could still feel some stumbling but, expect that until the plugs/wires
get changed. No CES light this morning. Got to work and then checked for codes. Showed a current P0741 again. It comes and
goes. After it scrolled through the codes my CES light popped back on. Will update when plugs/wires come in this week and I get
them switched out. Look forward to getting my car running properly.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spark Plug & Wire Install

Just a quick basic question. Looked in ALLDATA and it's not mentioned there.
Is it a good idea to put anti-seize on the spark plug threads and/or dielectric grease
on the plug before installing the spark plug wires?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts
Re: Spark Plug & Wire Install

This has been discussed over the years. About 4 years ago I called three aluminum cylinder head manufacturers and here's the general consensus: A small dab of anti-seize on the first three threads of the plug is good, but don't get carried away.

Dielectric grease is usually already in new plug boots and wire boots, but for old wires I would smear a dab into each boot using a Q-Tip. Any parts store racks. The silicone grease seals the boot (coil end, plug end) from moisture and condensation intrusion, a common cause of boot tracking.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't sure, with the aluminum heads, what the best protocol was.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The plug wires came in yesterday but, the plugs won't be here until Friday, tomorrow. I replaced the 2,4,6, & 8 plug wires since they were
so easy to get to. I don't want to pull the coils twice so, I'll do the odd plugs/wires together tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
I read about a grease/paste that is supposed to go under the ICM. I thought it was some sort of heat resistant paste but, the store
said it's just dielectric grease? I already have that. Is that an accurate statement, dielectric grease under the ICM?
Also, I cleared the codes last weekend and the SES light hasn't been on until I changed the front plug wires. The engine runs noticeably better
though! I'll pull the codes and see. Only 2 codes. P0741 Current & IRC B1771 that everyone insists doesn't exist? Well, my car
seems to think it does. LOL

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts

dielectric grease under the ICM?
Can't hurt.

EDIT:
Wait............ UNDER the ICM? :hmm: No reason for that. Maybe on the spades that the coils plug onto, but those are on top.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

I put it on the spades. They seemed to think the metal surface on the back had something to do with it's grounding? :suspect:

Am I correct in thinking the coils have to be removed to change the spark plugs on the odd cylinder bank against
the fire wall?

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts

The easiest way is to dismount the ICM. Leave the coils and wires attached and just move it aside. That'll give you all the room you need.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts