Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 | 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever thought changing the plugs on the V yourself is a great idea...was wrong. Ah, that was me. I almost forgot until I looked away from the screen and looked at my hands with scrapes, cuts, and band aids.

Anyone considering this, please do yourself a favor and remove the coil packs before removing anything. I got the right side done and started the left before putting the coil packs back on and calling it a day.

At this point, I will be headed to the shop with 4 AC Delco plugs and 4 NGK TR6 plugs. Not ideal, but ideally less pain.

Beating.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Ahhh..that doesn't sound promising! I hear it's easier if you remove the battery too, and I have headers so that should make it a little easier. I am going to be changing my plugs/wires this weekend!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blood on driveway...and clothes...and in garage...and pretty much all the way to the sink.

Forgot to mention it also helps if you have carney hands, or have a strong child to get in the tight spots. The right side was ok once I saw what I needed to do, but the left side just doesn't have the same amount of room. Removing the battery help, but you still have to work around the battery cradle, which doesn't come out. Also, you have the oil dipstick and the fuse box wire bundle RIGHT IN THE WAY.

I was quoted a max of $85 before I began, and should have taken the deal. Now, I am wondering if it will be half price....?:D

·
Registered
05 CTS V
600 Posts
getting mine put in with the headers and motor mounts at the same time... 200.00 to install headers, plugs and motor mounts.

thanks for the heads up, now I know I am glad I took my shop up on the install.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Yup. I remember this when I did the headers. Forearms and hands looked they did battle with giant eggbeaters ...

and lost.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I was quoted a max of $85 before I began, and should have taken the deal. Now, I am wondering if it will be half price....?:D
I had 21st change mine on the CTS-V when they put the headers on (at about 28K miles) simply because they were already in there taking things apart and I figured it was a good time to pay somebody else. On the STS-V the dealership has quoted me between 120-160.00 to do it because they say they need extra time to pull the air intake off ? I may go back to 21st and let them.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Definitely remove the coil packs! I feel ya about the bloody knuckles....if you try and wear gloves, then you can't feel the holes to line em up! Lose - Lose.

I don't see how removing the battery would help at all. I remember the back passenger side being the major B outta the group.

·
Registered
Cadillac
923 Posts
Plugs weren't bad, it was getting the boots off that sucked. I could get my hands in there but there was no where to go. Tough to get an leverage to pull those bastards off.

Try coming into work the next day, when you work with your hands all over people, with cuts, blood, grease, .... all over them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plugs weren't bad, it was getting the boots off that sucked. I could get my hands in there but there was no where to go. Tough to get an leverage to pull those bastards off.

Try coming into work the next day, when you work with your hands all over people, with cuts, blood, grease, .... all over them.
Yep, the boots are the problem. If you can get all the way to the plugs, you are home free. How are you supposed to twist and pull the stupid boot when you are only able to get three fingers on it at best and have something on the back side of your hand already digging in? Hence, where the cuts come from.

Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up to people. Not trying to beat a dead horse. Unless it is Tanto's horse. That guy can suck it.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
:lol:

Passenger side rear is the only one that gave me a real problem.

Coil packs definitely need to come off, and it's a good time to clean up those valve covers.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
So you guys recommend the NGKs over another set of AC Delcos? I came from a modular Ford that took Motorcrafts or nothing.

I'm bone stock approaching 40k miles...don't think my plugs have been changed yet...

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Plugs weren't bad, it was getting the boots off that sucked. ...

Yep, the boots are the problem. If you can get all the way to the plugs, you are home free. How are you supposed to twist and pull the stupid boot when you are only able to get three fingers on it at best and have something on the back side of your hand already digging in? Hence, where the cuts come from. ...
Totally agree.

Gotta get a pickle fork.

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Im about to change mine and I cant remember what Im running, I think its NGK T6s with the Maggie. T7s for a stocker? 1 cooler for the Maggie right?

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
So you guys recommend the NGKs over another set of AC Delcos? I came from a modular Ford that took Motorcrafts or nothing.

I'm bone stock approaching 40k miles...don't think my plugs have been changed yet...
I used AC Delcos when I switched mine out. I haven't heard bad things about NGK, but have never had probs with AC Delco in any car, let alone the V.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used AC Delcos when I switched mine out. I haven't heard bad things about NGK, but have never had probs with AC Delco in any car, let alone the V.
TR6 for forced induction

1 step colder than stock.

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Thanksm thats what a thought but couldnt remember fo sho.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
for N/A motors use ngk tr5 or tr55

1 - 20 of 71 Posts