Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious....how many of you guys and gals opted for the spare tire (compact) and how many went with the Sealant and Inflator Kit...and why?

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I went for the inflate and sealant. Mostly decided this because it's less weight in the car, and because I could pick up the spare tire aftermarket, if I decided to, at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Mine came with the sealant but replaced it with the spare tire kit. I feel better knowing if I break down in the middle of nowhere with a blow out, I'll still be able to get home.

·
Registered
'08 CTS
91 Posts
I bought mine used and picked up the spare tire on my own. It was very simple for me: if anything happens other than a simple / small puncture you will be stranded. If you pick up the spare tire kit, note that it needs to be mounted / balanced and you do not need the extra strap that is mentioned in the thread on this board (the kit itself comes with a strap for holding down a bad tire).

·
Registered
2008 CTS Radiant Bronze, Performance Collection RWD
175 Posts
The spare tire has saved me twice from being stranded due to blowouts due to road hazards. I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
Cadillac 08CTS Hot Lava 3.6DI RWD special edition
74 Posts
Mine also came with the spare, however I do want the air pump! :alchi:

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
mine came already equipped......my other GM car only has the inflator ....Pontiac Solstice....space and weight the issue with that one

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS4 AWD
69 Posts
I pulled out the sealant kit and replaced it with the spare tire kit. When you complain about the added cost (mine was about $250) your dealer hopefully will mount and install it for you at no cost.
I know we have Onstar and cellphones. etc but if your tire is cut or punctured in the sidewall I don't think any sealant will help. Anyway, my best reason for the spare tire is that I have always had one and just feel better knowing I have it if I need it.

·
Registered
'08 CTS DI (PDR, UAV, Y40, former GM Exec Vehicle)
29 Posts
Just curious....how many of you guys and gals opted for the spare tire (compact) and how many went with the Sealant and Inflator Kit...and why?
FYI
A similar thread in regards to removing the Selant/Inflator and installing a Spare Tire Kit can be found at:
Cadillac Forums: "Spare Tire Kit For 08 Cts"
Hope this may help.
>

·
Registered
08 CTS RWD with all options
178 Posts
I have both but I usually carry the inflator since I do most of my driving around town. The spare is in my storage shed, I use it when I go on vacation or a long trip.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
My car did not have the spare tire kit. When I purchased, I insisted that it have one or the deal was off. The dealer ordered a kit for me and had it installed a week or so after I took delivery. I kept the inflator kit and use it often to adjust the tire pressure. I just keep it in my garage and use it as needed.

·
Registered
08 CTS RWD with all options
178 Posts
my car did not have the spare tire kit. When i purchased, i insisted that it have one or the deal was off. The dealer ordered a kit for me and had it installed a week or so after i took delivery. I kept the inflator kit and use it often to adjust the tire pressure. I just keep it in my garage (storage shed) and use it as needed.
ditto

·
Registered
08 CTS
176 Posts
Mine came with the car, already mounted, balanced, and aired up, ready to use when needed. would not have nothing else. Inflator kit does real good on a small puncture, but useless on a blowout or any thing you may hit in the road that may damage the tire. Just this did happen to me, and I was lucky that I did have the spare.The inflator kit would not have even come close to fixing it.Just like insurance, "would not leave home without it".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine came with the spare tire and I must say it's the coolest spare I've ever seen. 18" black powder coated spare FTW!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts