Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02 ESC
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a way of securing a full size spare in the trunk? I have a donut in there with a chewed up tire.Where can you buy just the tire? I bought a beautifull rim,put a used tire on it but,I don't want it sliding around the trunk.Someone must have invented a tie down for a full size spare...

·
Registered
02 ESC
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donut is out...How about a longer bolt for the original hold down black plastic turn knob?I realize the top piece will be higher than floor of trunk.Maybe make sides for it out of 2x4's and cover them in carpet or just paint them?Just an idea,looking for other and better ideas.I know someone has come up with a fix. Bungee cords or ratchet straps?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Won't slide much if any actually, I've had full size spare in my Devilles for many years. I cut 2x4 for spacers and made a 1x4 top plate to support the tire cover(i keep jumper cables and bunch of emergency stuff in spare tire well now) so the cover didn't deform from tire on top all the time.
I did put a rubber mat in one car and a piece of carpet in the other so my spares don't hardly move.

·
Registered
02 ESC
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's what I'm talking about...To be clear,where are the 2x4 spacers positioned?And the top piece is over spare,under original top piece?When you say 1x4,inches or feet?With that set up,the screw down is not used,correct?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Hopefully these pics help.
I measured height of tire, i also put small piece of foam rubber under the feet keep it from squeaking or moving, plus it compresses.
For diameter just found the flatest spot for the feet. Due to the indentation on cover and desire to use for storage is reason just not a flat round piece of wood. I still use the bolt to hold cover and it compresses the rubber holding everyevery in place nicely.
The height of the feet ended up being the tricky part to get just right.

Attachments

·
Registered
02 ESC
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW,very impressive.Where does that go?where the donut was? or on top of the cover? A little refinement and you could sell them...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Yes goes in place of the donut, really just need to support weight of tire on top of cover is all.

·
Registered
02 ESC
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You say you can still use the OEM screw in? I tried mine with just the new full size spare and the bolt doesn't reach the part it's supposed to screw into...How did you make that work?? How can I extend my bolt? Disregard,I got it now..New tire still on top..Wood under cover for support..It took a little time but,I got it now...Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts