Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a way to keep the spare tire and tools in the trunk of the CTS coupe. I don't like having the compressor and I have a new spare I'd like to use. Other than just throwing the spare in the trunk; that would fill all of the trunk space there is.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
I don't have a coupe.

Is there a place where you could drill a hole through the bottom and insert a piece of allthread or long bolt so you could secure this spare?

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring
98 Posts
For a long trip I wondered this as well.

What about jack and tools? I put a 22mm socket and breaker bar in the slot by the compressor, also a regular plug kit and some basic tools.

This way when I call AAA I can at least insure we can get the tire off for a good plugging job roadside so I can get back on the road to a better repair (inside patch).

I'm not a fan of pumping all that snot into the tire - neither is the guy at the tire shop that breaks it down.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
For a long trip I wondered this as well.

What about jack and tools? I put a 22mm socket and breaker bar in the slot by the compressor, also a regular plug kit and some basic tools.

This way when I call AAA I can at least insure we can get the tire off for a good plugging job roadside so I can get back on the road to a better repair (inside patch).

I'm not a fan of pumping all that snot into the tire - neither is the guy at the tire shop that breaks it down.
Yep, I welded my socket to my breaker bar as well. I agree, if you have to replace a shredded tire while on a road trip, how in the heck are you going to get that rim off?

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the old wheel is not as much a problem as have a spare to use if the tire is destroyed. The spare tire well on the coupe will not take the spare tire because it is too small. I'm trying to find out if some one may have figured a way to open up that well in order to fit the spare. The trunk on the coupe is extremely small and just putting the spare in there will take up most of the storage space in the trunk.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, but there is always a first time and it will be in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. I had just hoped someone had come up with a possible solution.

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
I had a flat a couple of weeks ago. I had to have the car towed because because the puncture was in the sidewall. On my last car I purchased the donut. The donut is not offered on the coupe. If I bought the sedan donut I'm not sure that there would be a jacking point on the coupe in the same location as the sedan. I never really checked though. I wish that they would supply a donut and I'm not a fan of run flats either.

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
Of course you have a jacking point. I can't tell you where, but your owners manual can.

No donut = less cost + less weight and therefore better mileage. It's a win/win, all for the manufacturers. At least we are not stuck with runflats like all BMWs.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
46 Posts
The jacking points on the coupe are not the same as the sedan or where the manual says they are. I didn't realize that until someone else mentioned it and he is right.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe, 12 CTS-V Sedan
91 Posts
there is no perfect solution due to the fact there is not a spare tire well just an area for the pump assy. I bought the sedan spare for my wifes coupe and just keep it in the trunk the jack and associated parts fit in the well

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring
98 Posts
Spre Tire "KIT" For 08-11 CTS Order Infor

OK here is what I came up with from the dealership. GM sells the Spare Tire setup with a single part number, internally they call it the spare tire "kit". Obviously if you buy it, you will have to come up with your own storage provision. For those of us who travel light, and might be driving more remote routes it's a good option.

The part number for this kit in 08-11 CTS vehicles is: 19179359 and approximate price is $475

The part number for the kit in 12+ CTS vehicles is not yet in the database, I will update when it is.

"KIT" includes doughnut spare, jack, lug-wrench, associated parts & tools.

The knowledgeable man who went through the microfilm with me was Steve Carpenter at 559-431-6055

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the part numbers but I already have the spare and tools, I just need a way to store it in the most efficient manner.

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
I appreciate the part numbers but I already have the spare and tools, I just need a way to store it in the most efficient manner.
You also need a jacking point. Look under your car where the jacking points are for the sedan. The whole bottom about 5 inches in from the front tire to the rear tire is covered with plastic and doesn't have the cutout for the jack to sit on the frame or the ridge that the u shaped part of the jack fits in. The manual describes how to jack up a sedan. Look on a sedan and you'll find the jacking point and then look on the coupe in the same place and there's nothing there.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have successfully jacked up my the sedan I had prior to the coupe. I would have to imagine there are jacking points on the coupe as well. If the dealer uses a post lift, they have to put the arms somewhere. But it's a good point and when I'm in for service next time, I'll ask to see the actual lifting spots while the car is in the air. By the way;on the sedan, there are actual cut outs in the jacking points and I used a hard plastic hockey puck with a bolt in the middle to insure the jack stayed steady against the lifting point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts