Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this 85 seville, was it me or who designed that spare tire location. It may have been me but trying to keep the tire up and put that hold down to stay up and then screw the bolt on I had to climb into the trunk. Hope i never get a flat.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,991 Posts
with all of the design flaws built into the 1985 Seville -
the spare tire is what ruffles your feathers?

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
105 Posts
just got this 85 seville, was it me or who designed that spare tire location. It may have been me but trying to keep the tire up and put that hold down to stay up and then screw the bolt on I had to climb into the trunk. Hope i never get a flat.
I sympathize with your frustration, just remember it is only the beginning. A lot of us have had more or less the same situation with the spare tire problem. Poor design and almost impossible to get the damn thing repositioned again so many have opted to just ignore it and lay it down in the trunk itself. Done!.... Just think of a rainy night along the highway trying to uncouple it out of the holder. The trunk is big enough to hold the groceries (do it all of the time with no problems with the volume) and I'm undoubtedly more anal than you are. If you have the donut that is good advice as you would have to replace it anyway; If full size like mine, comfort in the fact that if a front tire goes flat, you won't have to worry about 2 difference size tires grinding away with the front axles. Worth investing in a new/used rim and new tire.

Welcome to the 80 to 85 Seville Club hot line! Re read what basscat posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replaced both hood and trunk supports. after replacing trunk supports I kept my efforts on the trunk. Has bad pull down motor just took apart and lowered where it locks and will live with that for a while. So decided to clean the trunk, but in order to place the cover over crispy cream I removed the bolt and then you know what I had to go through. I am 77 and not as agile as need be to perform this task, got it done and I will admit it is a beautiful trunk,carpet every where.. I hope AAA doesn't cancel my road service if I get a flat. Keep me updated I like your comments. Today I even order a new trunk seal mw00101 ??? .Windshield wiper motor next will come on with a few blows from a rubber mallet, still investigating I here just replace it. friends say drive on a sunny day. My friend who just passed away had the car for 25 years and loved it and he was one of the best BMW mechanics you would want to work on your car, but was so proud of the seville. I always showed interest in it .and when he died at 93 his caretaker called me if I needed another headache so I bought it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with all of the design flaws built into the 1985 Seville -
the spare tire is what ruffles your feathers?
I have manage to handle the others so far. removing the inside door panel was also a little frustrating, hidden screws everywhere got to see my problem now I have to locate an inside door handle??. Try owning an old mercedes the BIRDMAN really Art

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,269 Posts
LOL don't let the pull down trunk deck lid go shut on you... oh f.............

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,178 Posts
This car was designed with one of those inflatable full size spares with the blue can in mind! By the time GM realized they sucked, it was too late. The donut was fitted to the Eldo and Seville in 1980 and always looks like it’s ready to fall down.

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
990 Posts
Welcome aboard 85. You should at least test the relay and the circuit board on the wipers before you buy a new wiper motor. My wipers have died at least twice, both times it was either the relay or the board. There's a troubleshooting chart in the factory manual. Which you should really get if you don't have it. Here's the cheapest on eBay at the moment... whole set cheaper than the Eldo/Seville alone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1985-Deville-Eldorado-Seville-Shop-Service-Repair-Manuals-Engine-Drivetrain/303368680601

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the 3 books if I sell the car i will leave them in the car. Picked up two very nice sun visers today white leather because they stayed in any position I put them in and reading the forum saying they cannot be fixed took a chance will need to spay the leather same color as seats. Got my inside door handles today and hopefully a good trunk pull down which looks very good out of an old fleetwood. Changed a headlight luckily I had a t-5 ?? to remove the two screws on the cover which are on the front of fender. Getting to know a little about this tank. Bad weather hindering my progress. thanks for info on books. Take care, Art

·
Registered
990 Posts
Happy to help, Art. Sounds like you have the right attitude. I think you'll get the FSM and be very happy about the purchase. Check out the wiper troubleshooting trees when it arrives. Straightforward stuff.

Hope the handles fit. I have a bad pull down switch too. I'm currently getting by fine with it removed.

Personally, replacing those hood supports was one of my all-time most satisfying fixes. I had a 2x4 for at least a year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome aboard 85. You should at least test the relay and the circuit board on the wipers before you buy a new wiper motor. My wipers have died at least twice, both times it was either the relay or the board. There's a troubleshooting chart in the factory manual. Which you should really get if you don't have it. Here's the cheapest on eBay at the moment... whole set cheaper than the Eldo/Seville alone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1985-Deville-Eldorado-Seville-Shop-Service-Repair-Manuals-Engine-Drivetrain/303368680601
Happy to help, Art. Sounds like you have the right attitude. I think you'll get the FSM and be very happy about the purchase. Check out the wiper troubleshooting trees when it arrives. Straightforward stuff.

Hope the handles fit. I have a bad pull down switch too. I'm currently getting by fine with it removed.

Personally, replacing those hood supports was one of my all-time most satisfying fixes. I had a 2x4 for at least a year.
I also replaced the trunk supports and on the pull down I took it apart and lowered the latch manually and now it at least closes and locks. The trunk supports were a little harder to remove. The clips on the back of supports a little difficult to get at. But now turn the key and it pops right up. Art

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also replaced the trunk supports and on the pull down I took it apart and lowered the latch manually and now it at least closes and locks. The trunk supports were a little harder to remove. The clips on the back of supports a little difficult to get at. But now turn the key and it pops right up. Art
Handles should fit same casting number. the trick is going to be getting rod into handle hole. Maybe there books will explain.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Art,
Well, for doors (and seats, front/rear end body, glass, stuff like that) there's yet another book, called the Fisher Body Manual. $15. You'll probably want that too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Fisher-Service-Manual-ONE-PER-OFFER/202736139665

There's a third manual too, called the "Parts and Illustration Catalog." I have the 1982 version. It has exploded diagrams and part numbers, but frankly it's not that great or worth buying. If your door handle doesn't work out, I can check the original part numbers. Let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts