Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

After a long summer of fixing all mechanical issues/general maintenance items now am looking to button up some of the non mechanical items in preparation of my families Disney road trip later this year. Every few months I get under the truck and clean up any surface rust build up and generally clean up where the undercarriage car washes don't get to. I also drop the spare and inspect to mechanism and fluid film it to keep in running smoothly as I don't want any roadside surprises if I need it one day it it does not come down. I am thinking that my both the spare tire and the rim are past their prime. The tire date shows it was manufactured at the end of 2011 and the rim itself is absolutely rusted. These Chicago winters are brutal on the undercarriage and I would assume especially on the steel rim under the truck as the salt/snow just eat away it it. I am thinking of just getting a new steel 16 inch rim (80.00 bucks) and tire to replace the old one. The tread on the tire looks great but I have always understood that tires also have age lifespan. Any thoughts or is this overkill??

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,332 Posts
Probably a prudent thing to do. At the very least you would need to thoroughly clean up the mounting face of the wheel and the lug nut holes and refinish it to keep the rust from returning. With a new wheel costing only $80, it's probably easier to just get a new one rather than putting time and effort into the old one.

Any signs of dry rot on the tire? If not, I would say it's fine to keep using it as a spare. With it tucked under the truck it's getting little to no UV exposure, so the rubber should still be good to go. I'm sure other folks would say it's better to play it safe and get a new tire, too.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the note back. The tire looks good and seems to still have that good flexible tread. At this point, I am just going to replace the wheel and have the old tire mounted and balanced to it. Unless the tire shop finds something with the tire, I'll just roll with it...

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,398 Posts
Hello Everyone,

After a long summer of fixing all mechanical issues/general maintenance items now am looking to button up some of the non mechanical items in preparation of my families Disney road trip later this year. Every few months I get under the truck and clean up any surface rust build up and generally clean up where the undercarriage car washes don't get to. I also drop the spare and inspect to mechanism and fluid film it to keep in running smoothly as I don't want any roadside surprises if I need it one day it it does not come down. I am thinking that my both the spare tire and the rim are past their prime. The tire date shows it was manufactured at the end of 2011 and the rim itself is absolutely rusted. These Chicago winters are brutal on the undercarriage and I would assume especially on the steel rim under the truck as the salt/snow just eat away it it. I am thinking of just getting a new steel 16 inch rim (80.00 bucks) and tire to replace the old one. The tread on the tire looks great but I have always understood that tires also have age lifespan. Any thoughts or is this overkill??

Thanks
Buying a new spare tire will not hurt anything other than your wallet. However, i would just have a tire shop inspect the tire for any defects before buying a new one. I definitely would change your steel wheel due to the level of rust it have which could cause structural issues.

Back to the spare tire itself; I usually just coat the spare tire with a silcon based tire dressing to prevent dry rotting. Tires are really durable so age alone should not be an deciding factor if the sidewalls are properly maintained and the tires do not have any air leaks.

Reactions: Rivelite

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,398 Posts
Just had this done last week. I feel a million times better!
I would spray the rim with some Rustoleum black paint to resist corrosion. That steel rim will rust quickly in its unprotected state.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the product suggestion. I was going to research amazon to pick out a good primer/rust inhibitor spray to do that this weekend. There is a very glossy clear coat on the front of the wheel and a much less raw finish on the back. Do you think that spraying the front be necessary?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks for the product suggestion. I was going to research amazon to pick out a good primer/rust inhibitor spray to do that this weekend. There is a very glossy clear coat on the front of the wheel and a much less raw finish on the back. Do you think that spraying the front be necessary?
Well, if the front of the wheel is clear-coated than no I suppose since the steel already protected.

However, I like a black look so I would just spray it front and black with the rust proof paint to protect the metal to be sure since clear coats can peel away over time if the layer is thin especially if the rear of the wheel is untreated; which means that it will rust from the rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts