Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
Joined
·
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry! I don't have any information for you. But, I'd like this thread to discuss our options. I've got wind-noise at highway speeds. Where's the best place to look for weather stripping? How much does it cost? How much to have it installed? At the dealer?

Next, I'd like to get information on quieting down road/tire noise.. Then, whatever else there is...

Ready? Set? Go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Well like I said in the other thread, you need to make sure your door closes fully.... Also you may want to check your window seals.....

Personally, Id get the weatherstrips from the dealer or anywhere else you can get OEM parts, and install it yourself.... They arent glued or anything (i dont think) and they should just fit right into little holes..... Very simple.... Window seals might be <much> more.....

Basically the best thing to do with road noise is to take all of the interior trim pieces off (sans dash and other stuff that doesnt come up easliy) and cover them with sound deadening material, like dynamat.... There is also a foamy spray stuff you can put into the quarter panels and other things.... There is also rubber spray stuff to put inthe wheelwells....
 

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
Joined
·
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first mission will be to get rid of the wind-noise. So I guess I'll need to bring my car to the dealer and ask if they notice anything visually wrong.. Or would that be a waste of time? Because personally, everything looks fine. In fact, it looks perfect. So I can't see what needs to be done.. Hopefully, a professional will be able to tell the difference...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Instead going to the dealer, find out the sub that they use for their trim work.
The guy around here works for all the dealers in the area doing their trim work,he use to work in the Oshawa car plant.
While dealer is around $70/hr?, he is like $45/hr out of his house and makes house calls.
The radio guy is also a sub in this area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Sal.... Do you have a FSM yet???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Yeah, of course they will tell you....

I highly suggest you get the FSM before you talk to the dealer because if you dont they could BS you to death...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Why does everyone think dealers are out to screw them.
The people who work their are professional
Dealers spent alot of money on training them.
They can make mistakes but most of the time I find the dealers I deal with are honest.
I think age has alot to do on how you view people.The old you get, the more honest mistakes you see people make and the more forgiveing you are.
Also the you learn on how much things really cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Well in this case, the dealer could EASILY take advantage of you, saying you need to replace door latches, weatherstrips, seals, windows, etc... Its much easier to replace than inspect and repair...

IMO, in this case only rubber components are at fault, and maybe the doors need adjustment......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
My Chevy dealer was excellent for about 3 years with me, helping me out greatly over the span of 2 Camaros and 1 Corvette...and then the head service writer with whom I was good friends up and left and I never heard from him again. With that service writer went many familiar service guys, and it turns out some of them got jobs in German/Japanese dealerships. Soon after, I brought my 97 C5 in for a service and when picking it up I discovered they had managed to back a Blazer's bumper into the front of my car. They buffed it out a bit and repainted it, but it looked totally off until I traded it in and bought from another dealer...also, it was at this point that they began denying extended warranty claims, etc. and joined the ranks of most GM dealerships as relatively awful.

I have never been serviced at a Caddy dealership, but I hope the experience is anything like Lexus or BMW provides. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
I have done this in great detail on my 2000 Prelude. Sal, you probably won't be able to do much about your wind noise. It's a result of the extra trim around the edges of the windshield. If you could manufacture a rubber gasket of some sort to go over the existing trim, it would eliminate some of the grooves that catch the moving air. On newer cars they've designed them to be flush with the body.

Working from the outside in, here's what I would recommend:

1) Go to a do-it-yourself car wash and pressure spray the inside of your wheel wells to get them as clean as possible. After everything dries, jack up the car, remove the wheels, and spray a product like "Dynashield" in several thin coats on the inside of the wheel wells. To do it right is an all-day job, but you should notice some results. Dynashield is not the only product on the market. Do a Google and you should find a few others.

2) Another place where a lot of road noise sometimes gets in is the door panels. If you can remove the interior panel and get to the sheet metal, apply a product like Dynamat or Dynamat extreme. This is not a sound barrier, it is a vibration dampener. Rap on the outside of the door panels with your bare knuckles and you'll see what I mean. The vibration resonates. With a vibration dampener, your knocking will sound like a dull thud.

3) If you're hearing tire or road noise from the back seat area, try removing the back seat and applying Dynamat to the exposed metal. Cadillacs are usually very well insulated, but this might be a vulnerable area.

4) Finally, the hard part. Remove the carpet and front seat (if possible, I know that thing's huge). You can add all the extra insulation here that you want. I would recommend something that's foam rubber with a lead foil barrier. Visit www.mcmaster.com for some suggestions. You'll have to do a CTRL-F and search for the word "sound" to find it.

Try these sites for more info.

www.dynamat.com

www.mcmaster.com

www.partsexpress.com

Something important that I learned--Dynamat is not any better than the generic stuff they sell on ebay. There's a guy on eBay who wholesales the stuff, I think his I.D. is RAAMAUDIO or something like that. I bought a lot from him, and he sells it cheap.

I was able to reduce the interior noise in my Prelude by more than 3dB. It probably saved me the cost of an amp. When I replaced the stock head unit, the Pioneer system I chose sounded perfect without an amp, so I didn't buy one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you go overboard you can add as much as 150 lbs. Probably not a big deal for Sal's Fleetwood, but for a 4-banger it makes a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Strange. My 1993 FWB has virtually no wind noise.
 

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
Joined
·
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Elvis.. That was a lot of information. I'll refer back to this thread when I get to this stuff.

Those big mirrors really make the difference, huh? I guess I'm not surprised...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
airbalancer said:
Why does everyone think dealers are out to screw them.
The people who work their are professional
Dealers spent alot of money on training them.
They can make mistakes but most of the time I find the dealers I deal with are honest.
I think age has alot to do on how you view people.The old you get, the more honest mistakes you see people make and the more forgiveing you are.
Also the you learn on how much things really cost.
I agree! Over the years I got "taken for a ride" a lot more at little independant garages than a big dealership who is trained specifically in your type of car. I have always tried to support "the little guy" but because they are in it to survive more and more now, I find some cut corners. Regarding a specialized car like a Cadillac, I will always take mine to the Dealer even if it costs more! Anyone who cares about their car should not use "Uncle Joe's" brand of alternator, or ?.

SAL: Want to quiet your car a lot, get it undercoated! Either the black tar stuff, or the rubberized, it is fairly cheap, goes a long way IMO to make road noise a thing of the past. It may add some weight to your car, but cuts the road noise. You can do it yourself in can form, or go to an auto place that can do it, and know where to spray it to make it more effective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
Ralph said:
I agree! Over the years I got "taken for a ride" a lot more at little independant garages than a big dealership who is trained specifically in your type of car. I have always tried to support "the little guy" but because they are in it to survive more and more now, I find some cut corners. Regarding a specialized car like a Cadillac, I will always take mine to the Dealer even if it costs more! Anyone who cares about their car should not use "Uncle Joe's" brand of alternator, or ?.

SAL: Want to quiet your car a lot, get it undercoated! Either the black tar stuff, or the rubberized, it is fairly cheap, goes a long way IMO to make road noise a thing of the past. It may add some weight to your car, but cuts the road noise. You can do it yourself in can form, or go to an auto place that can do it, and know where to spray it to make it more effective.
I guess it depends on where you live because I can't even think of a time we've ever been screwed by a shop, it's ALWAYS been a dealer! My Cadillac has never been to the dealer once for service, and except for maybe an oil change sometime it probably never will be. When it comes to replacing parts it depends on what the part is and how much it costs. Sometimes I'll buy them at the dealer and sometimes I won't.

Undercoating is one of the worst things you can do to a used car. Put that over the crap that builds up underneath or over any chips in the paint and say hello to rust. I've never noticed any major difference it makes in getting rid of noise anyway....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
brougham said:
I guess it depends on where you live because I can't even think of a time we've ever been screwed by a shop, it's ALWAYS been a dealer! My Cadillac has never been to the dealer once for service, and except for maybe an oil change sometime it probably never will be. When it comes to replacing parts it depends on what the part is and how much it costs. Sometimes I'll buy them at the dealer and sometimes I won't.

Undercoating is one of the worst things you can do to a used car. Put that over the crap that builds up underneath or over any chips in the paint and say hello to rust. I've never noticed any major difference it makes in getting rid of noise anyway....
Things might be better out west then? ;) For my Pontiac, I've tried aftermarket parts and they rarely worked good. For example, once I bought a new distributer rotor from Can. Tire, put it in, the next day drove to Saskatoon from my home town, and NOTHING BUT STATIC ON THE RADIO! The entire trip ruined IMO, with no entertainment! :disappoin Needless to say, when it comes to parts, I'll get the "perfect match" that can only come from a GM supplier. Well, to be fair, for things like brake pads, muffler, etc. I have gone to Midas. For things like electronics, transmissions, etc. I will go to the Cadillac dealer. I am going to get my AC recharged in the spring. I can save 100 dollars if I go to Midas, but I don't want to be back in the shop for a leak, so I will probably go to the dealer, although I haven't fully decided yet. That tells you that I am sick and tired of getting cars fixed all the time! (Mercury)

Regarding undercoating, from what I remember even back in 1980, the purpose of it was to prevent rust and corrosion, the sound deadening abilities are just a bonus? It all comes off anyway after a few years of washings every month at the car wash. (wand-type wash with warm water) After 22 winters with my Pontiac, there is no rust, even though all the undercoating has been washed away except for a few areas.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
Big Jim
Top