Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 CTS 2.8L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the Faq on oil changes for the CTS and it says that I need a washer for the drain plug, but after running to two different dealerships where one said that Cadillac does not even make my engine and the other looked at me like I was crazy when i said I was changing the oil myself.

I am posting here for help.

I have an 07 CTS the baby 2.8L and its about time for an oil change, so I picked up my Mobil 1 and K&N filter, all I need to know is there a seperate washer or not, and if there is can someone supply a part number.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
:horse:I have an 07 also and haven't had to change my oil yet. Not sure what it is your talking about but I would like to be informed also when it comes time for me to do mine! :hmm:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
My recommendation is to change your own oil (the simplest job on any car) and look to see if it has a washer. You can reuse the original copper washer, if need be, and then you'll know what to look for the next time you change the oil. All it does is keep the plug from having a very slow leak (weep is more like it). It won't hurt anything to reuse it as long as you torque the plug correctly. It's definitely not a show stopper. I don't think my 3.2L even has one on the plug (it has an embedded O-ring).

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 CTS 2.8L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I am going to do my own oil change, especially with the dealers using only regular oil and not synthetic.

I was just trying to figure out about the washer for the drain plug.

thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 CTS 2.8L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm Okay why cant I find the drain plug, it is located differently than the other two engine options?

As I know it is different for the V.

But then again I guess this is what I get for trying to change it in the dark with only my friends car as a light source.

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 CTS 2.8L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a box with a bolt in it facing outwards towards the passenger side, but it does not look like the one in the FAQs.

The box is much smaller, completely square and is basically smooth from what I can tell all the way around. Also another variation to the above picture is that there is two metal tubing that run past the box and the nut.

Could this be because I have the 2.8L and not one of the 3.xL engines?

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 CTS 2.8L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a box with a bolt in it facing outwards towards the passenger side, but it does not look like the one in the FAQs.

The box is much smaller, completely square and is basically smooth from what I can tell all the way around. Also another variation to the above picture is that there is two metal tubing that run past the box and the nut.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts

2.8 & 3.6 are the same engines. The bolt head is about 3/4". Be careful as the pan in aluminum and the threads can be easily stripped.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
So the pan should look like the one on the FAQs? I will double check now its its daylight out.

Thanks for your help, I am usually not noobish like this when it comes to cars, but then again this is my first Caddy, and the owners manual does not help whatsoever.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/36oilchange/4.jpg
yEP, THAT'S THE PAN BOLT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ANO:bouncy:

Let your engine cool off a little as the oil is friggin' HOT

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 CTS 2.8L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have the right sockets for it, just had to go out to get one for the oil filter, which I picked up last weekend from Sears.

Once again, thanks for your time and patience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts