Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in New York and we've got lots of snow on the ground. While my Fleetwood Brougham did pretty good compared to everyone else, it was no match for my ETC. Even my girlfriend's Passat had no problem.

I was behind a brand new 745i and saw him fishtailing all over the place - even going slow. I thought to myself - "an expensive car like that and look"... If I weren't moving down South, I'd be wanting a FWD vehicle for my next car.

Now I understand there are plenty of advantages with RWD - and I don't want a FWD vs RWD war here - but I don't think it's a good idea for a company like Cadillac to do away with FWD. There ARE people like me who prefer it...

Cadillac. Are you listening?

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Well Sal, Mine's a tank in the snow! Unstoppable, unless of course, I want to stop. :)

A pair of cheap, 45 bucks a piece winter tires on the rear is the key. I can go anywhere, any time, in any conditions. And I wouldn't think twice. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Well Sal, Mine's a tank in the snow! Unstoppable, unless of course, I want to stop. :)

A pair of cheap, 45 bucks a piece winter tires on the rear is the key. I can go anywhere, any time, in any conditions. And I wouldn't think twice. :)

I agree with bill having owned multiple RWD cars a cheap pair of snow tires is GREAT makes you life easier. well worth the expense pep boy tires are cheap

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
There ARE also people like me who don't get snow more than 1 or 2 times a year and like RWD.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
davesdeville said:
There ARE also people like me who don't get snow more than 1 or 2 times a year and like RWD.
That's the thing - you don't have to worry. RWD will always be available. But FWD, on the other hand, might not be..

Do snow-tires really make that much of a difference? If so, I just may invest in a set of 4...

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
If you are serious about traction, find out if studded tires are allowed where you live, they cannot be beat! With all seasons, just slow down and you will be fine, but don't expect quick merges into lanes, allow lots of room and time. Maybe it's time to take down the FOSS label after all, eh Sal?? ;)

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
I'm in New York and we've got lots of snow on the ground. While my Fleetwood Brougham did pretty good compared to everyone else, it was no match for my ETC. Even my girlfriend's Passat had no problem.

I was behind a brand new 745i and saw him fishtailing all over the place - even going slow. I thought to myself - "an expensive car like that and look"... If I weren't moving down South, I'd be wanting a FWD vehicle for my next car.

Now I understand there are plenty of advantages with RWD - and I don't want a FWD vs RWD war here - but I don't think it's a good idea for a company like Cadillac to do away with FWD. There ARE people like me who prefer it...

My Brougham is in storage for the winter so I don't know what it's like in the snow, but I'm guessing it's similar to yours.

The car I'm driving now is RWD too with sensitive back brakes and overpowered steering. I got reminded about the brakes earlier this week when I slowed down and could hear the back wheels sliding on the hard snow. A couple years ago a buddy of mine came up from Toronto during the holidays and was having a blast driving around. Whe he got here I was outside holding a heatgun at my car doors because the lock mechanisms were frozen solid and he hops out of his car with this huge grin on his face after sliding and fishtailing up our street. :rolleyes:

I've got winters on the back. If you're going to get them I'd start with just the backs and then get the front ones if you think you need them. None of our front wheel drive cars have them.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Ralph said:
Maybe it's time to take down the FOSS label after all, eh Sal?? ;)
Does FOSS bother you that much Ralph? :D

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Ralph said:
Brougham, do you mean "overassisted steering?" With a loose feeling?
You can call it that. You turn the wheel with your baby finger all day if you wanted too :p

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:

They are. And since they must please everyone and still make world class cars, they are doing what they should have done in the first place. They will offer...AWD!!! :worship:

·
Registered
90 Posts
well as a former 68 Hearse owner it weighing 3 tons that rear wheel drive was a god sake in the harsh weather. but speaking for my sisters 1970 charger... well the heavier the car the more dependant it is on RWD. at least in my books. would i want FWD conversion in the charger? no. attempting to pull its heavy butt in FWD would be a fools decision. as for my moms carpice with FWD. still a rather bulky car... still hard to drive. my final decision, the heavier the vehical, the more RWD. the lighter the car, FWD all the way baby. its a personal preference really.
im gone.

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Sal, I'd just get a pair of cheapies for the rear first. I think mine are Cooper Weathermasters, 225-75-15. No need for studs. No need for weight in the trunk, either. As long as you have _any_ tread on the front tires, you shouldn't need snows up front. Just so you know, I was a skeptic about snow tires too. I never quite believed in them and never bought any. Finally, a couple years ago I thought, 'what the hell?' as I needed tires anyways, and bought some. WOW! What a difference! The make it seem like you're driving on dry pavement. I just put a set of four on my wife's FWD 2002 Protege'5 yesterday. Man, that thing SUCKED in the snow. It was impossible to drive with the sporty tires that were on it... I slipped and slided (sp?) all the way to the tire shop but drove home fine, and the conditions were worse by then...

I do sometimes need to turn off the traction control to get moving though, as sometimes you NEED to spin the wheels to get going. :) But then I turn it back on once I'm moving. Believe it or not, that TC works pretty damn good in the snow. That's the ONLY time I have it turned on! It's the first thing I do when I get in the car, I shut off the TC. :) (But I did move my switch to a more easily accessible spot on my console).

OH!!!! And let me tell you... That 6 speed is DAMN FUN in the snow!!! I was out driving in it all day yesterday!

Damn soccer moms in their SUV's doing 15 mph everywhere... ;)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Im sure that 6sp will do mad donuts in an empty parking lot!! I cant wait until a good snow!!!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
if you have a RWD car, I would DEFINITLY get studs on the back, if not all 4....

.... I had to go to work this morning, the back roads were pretty bad... I do not have snow tires on my car either.... it is FWD and has ABS, it wasn't too bad.... when I was pulling off of one bad road and onto a nother, I turned the wheel and started going, and noticed the car wasn't turning well, so i knew the front tires were spinning, so I let off the gas, and they gippd, which made the back end slide out to the right, so I just turned the wheel to the right and hit the gas a little and the car came back in line..... then when I had to go up this slight hill, my front tires kept braking loose and I had to feather the gas to get the car up the hill....

now, OTOH my mothers '89 Brougham has 4 snows, last night when I was clearing the driveway (snow blower) I cleared one side, and was about to clear the side where the brougham in on, but I cleared the car off, got in let her warm up a bit, and wanted to see if I would be able to clear all the unpacked fresh snow (about 12-14" at the time).... it stalled a few times as it didn't warm up enough (where FI is better then a carb) but once I got it to stay running, I backed up a little, then put it in 2nd and drove right over the snow... I was surprised, once the rear tires hit the snow, they were spinning a little, but the tuds were just digging right through the snow, it cleared all the snow with no problem... once I got on the cleared area, I pulled up too much and ran the front of the car into the un cleared snow, so I reversd and again, it pulled right out of it...

.... my winter car is most likly going to be an 80's Caprice or mid 80's Oldsmobile (big body RWD style) so both will be RWD, and I'll probally have 4 snows on there....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Plus there's about an acre of sheet metal, so if you wreck it youll be safe.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Funny......I came over Donner pass this morning in the snow & ice in my FWD Seville on street tires with no problems.......Imagine that!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Elvis said:
I'm glad you didn't stop for breakfast.

As a matter of fact....I did stop for breakfast in Truckee.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts