Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - my warranty expired not even one month ago .... Today I went to pick up my son and really had to crank the heat way up 85-87 to get it hot.... anything lower than that was warm(ish) to kinda chilly.

I'm ready to throw my hand up and buy a horse and buggy. Any ideas what I may be up against?

·
Registered
2006 STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. By chance do you know how scary the price is for a part like that?

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your dealership the service manager might be able to do a 'goodwill' warranty repair for you. Heck, even if you don't have a good relationship it is still possible if you approach them nicely (and they're open to the idea in the first place).

some dealers aren't allowed to do goodwill warranties - i think you have to be in good standing with training and prior warranty work

·
Registered
2006 STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... that reply flew off into cyber space somewhere. Lets try that again.

This dealership did all the work on my prior vehicle (which was not purchased through them) and they have seen the caddy for her bath time & two service issues. The creaky driver seat may not have actually touched the warranty because it was in the purchase agreement that they would have that fixed for me. Then about 2 weeks after purchase, I had an O2 sensor go out - that was covered under my warranty.

I know this will make me sound a bit....green, but is there a "right" way to go about asking for the goodwill warranty repair? It never hurts to ask but I also don't wish to upset or offend anyone

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
basically go in to talk to the service manager and mention your situation and ask nicely if goodwill is a possibility - can't hurt to ask is the philosophy there

·
Registered
2006 STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will keep that in mind! :) Thanks guys! For someone like me....who is admittedly not mechanically inclined - you guys can be life savers (and wallet savers!)

·
Registered
2013 srx perf, 2010 cts4 prem
160 Posts
I think all of us that have or had an STS have learned that it can be financial suicide to not purchase an extended warranty prior to the end of the factory warranty.

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
I think all of us that have or had an STS have learned that it can be financial suicide to not purchase an extended warranty prior to the end of the factory warranty.
I have learned this the hard way after only 4 months of ownership. I'm a 3rd year college kid with a part time job (don't worry it pays well for what it is), and I have already spent about $2k in maintenance, repairs, and accessories in this short time, that is also not including the monthly car payment. Scheduled for this weekend is replacing both front struts. I am predicting about $300 there alone.

To top it off, I have ran into some health problems and am currently in an unpaid leave from work for an indefinite amount of time. I even had to cancel my donations to this forum!

With that said, GET A WARRANTY or have a big savings nest alone for this car!

·
Registered
2006 STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We bought her as a used car and added the warranty at time of purchase - unfortunately.... those warranties don't last forever :/ Are there any good ones that you can buy that come with good recommendations?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG
324 Posts
Invest in working on your car yourself or finding a good independent mechanic. You can cut your repair bills in half right there versus dealer service.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,292 Posts
The same guy that will buy a $65,000 car and won't spend $140 on a FSM is the same guy that'll buy a $350,000 house and won't hire a $350 attorney to look over the details for him; penny wise and dollar foolish.

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
The same guy that will buy a $65,000 car and won't spend $140 on a FSM is the same guy that'll buy a $350,000 house and won't hire a $350 attorney to look over the details for him; penny wise and dollar foolish.
I got myself a factory service manual on disc. I've learned a lot but don't have all the tools necessary to do half the jobs.

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
My FSM is the dealer. LOL
FSM = Factory Service Manual??? If so, I do have that program on my computer. Along with manuals for just about every GM vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG
324 Posts
Some people prefer not to work on their car. Nothing wrong with that. But one can still find a good independent mechanic if they ask around and save money that way.

I change my own oil on the Caddy but don't on my truck. The truck has a skid plate thats a PITA to remove. Its not worth the $20 savings for me to mess with the truck. I take it to a Jiffy lube type place and let them hassle with it. The cost savings is worth it to do my own change on the Caddy though. Some wouldn't want to change their own oil to save $50+. We all have our lines in the sand.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
Ok...a couple of things
These cars don't sell for anywhere near sticker...most were leased on a very subsidized GM lease program
A program that made a LOT of lease returns that sold for 1/3 of their stickers 3 years later

A car that REALLY COST $65K( or worth anywhere near that) is not being repaired by the owners...why would they buy a manual

Hopefully you can see that after these cars get more than 5 years old and 75K miles the value has fallen like a stone...and what you find on the used car market...condition wise..has fallen drastically as well

So..I ask the question.....is the person that does not plow thousands into an older STS penny wise and dollar foolish..or is it the other way around?

I say that because after that time the value of the car and repairs start to be come much closer in actual $$$

Warren

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
regardless of price, what person who intends to DIY their car repairs (specifically cadillac) doesn't buy a factory manual or an alldatadiy.com subscription or comparable service manual (ie, not a haynes book)
?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts