2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,884 Posts
Better get a Cadillac V8 to play with a S6

Reactions: Long

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,489 Posts
I would prefer a V8. But it will be difficult with our tax schemes on cars. Most high end cars here are V6 turbos or even I4 turbos or hybrids.

I was affraid my LFX would be irritating on autobahn because of the low torque compared to diesels but it did really good. Only occasionally I had to go down in 5th gear to follow the traffic. Otherwise just staying in 6th in manual mode.

I had to fuel one more time compared to a diesel car on the distance I drove and I guess a V8 would be one more time as well - so it would not be about getting there first.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,798 Posts
It’s funny you mention it. I feel the new pads have a better bite. Could be the increased compressability new pads have that gives this feeling but anyhow...

The no dust formula is a truth with modifications after 2000 kms on Autobahn. But could be worse.

Wife took this picture at cruising altitude.

That's not Dust, that's road dirt!!! 😄 IDK about your Caddy, but mine runs even faster AFTER 6th gear as i drop her into drive! i've had her up to 135 mph (220 km/h) and she was still pulling (ran out of road AND i was afraid i run up on a cop)

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,031 Posts
Guess you'll have to get a tune and remove the limiter. I hear it does nice things for the transmission shift pressure as well.
Speed limiter on mine is set for 189mph. In performance mode the car is A LOT quicker than in normal mode.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's not Dust, that's road dirt!!! IDK about your Caddy, but mine runs even faster AFTER 6th gear as i drop her into drive! i've had her up to 135 mph (220 km/h) and she was still pulling (ran out of road AND i was afraid i run up on a cop)
It is difficult to see in the picture but the whole wheel is pale from dust. It is easy to take off to get the chrome shine again.

No doubt that you will get a few years in a pillory getting caught at that speed.

One thing I dont understand though is the gear ratios. When the top speed is reached it runs 5500 rpm (+/-) in 5th gear. 4th runs out at 230 km/h and 6th gear has no power to maintain the speed. I know 6th is an overdrive but why not change the final ratio so you are close to peak power at top speed. Will make acceleration quicker?

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,031 Posts
I have a 3.73 rear gear. MPG is terrible.
Mine also has 3.73 gearing and posi rear end. On long distance trips I have been averaging 25mpg @ average of 75mph. Maybe that extra 500lbs my wagon has over a sedan makes it more aerodynamic. LOL
Although the LFX is supposed to be more fuel efficient. Thought I read the rotating assembly on the LFX was a little lighter than the one in the LLT too so it could all add up... I do seem to get 1-2 mpg better in my wagon than I did in my LY7 equipped 09 sedan.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
For the whole trip I ended on 21 mpg. When I did a similar trip in my Volvo 2.4L twin turbo diesel I ended on 23.5 mpg - but I could not drive as quick as with the Cadillac.

The terrible mpg comes from the transmission, changing gear in city traffic and use of torque converter is bad for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,884 Posts
My 2013 ATS 2.0 Turbo better gas mileage per gallon but not for the price because I had to use premium fuel costing more the average price per mile is about the same as my CTS

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Prolly half of my driving now is on a 30 mph no passing 2 lane with roundabouts.
Well, Caddy was once known as "Tanks"...

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,502 Posts

1942 Cadillac M5 Stuart

21 - 39 of 39 Posts