Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a thread has new unread posts, title is bold type. Clicking on the title would automatically take you to the first unread post. Once the complete thread has been read, the title is no longer bold, and clicking it used to go to the first post. Pretty handy when looking to review a previously viewed thread for whatever reason.
Now I've noticed when clicking on threads previously viewed, it automatically goes to the last post. Kind of backwards it seems.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.
After the "big" change,clicking on the title would open the first post regardless of read/new post status, no means of going directly to a new post in an individual thread. Short time after upgrade, a thread with a bold title (indicating new posts) when clicked, would go to the first unread post, and any thread that had been read (title not in bold) would start at post #1. Now any previously read thread, when clicked, goes directly to the last post in that thread.

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,934 Posts
Been that way since the changeover. I think that the platform assumes that, if you have not opened that particular thread, you want to read it all. However, if you have viewed the thread it must assume that you don't want to read it all again.

Sometimes, a long thread opens with Post #1 and a tab that allows you to "Jump to latest" post.

My two computers - a laptop and a big PC - will open most threads at the last unread post.

Fine with me, but I work in 25 - 50 threads a day. Sometimes close to 100.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
It usually takes a few days after the site transitions to the new platform, but once it does, clicking the title will usually take you to the last unread post. Clicking the timestamp will take you to the last (newest) post. If all of the posts have been read, I am guessing it does what you mentioned.

- Cricket

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes, a long thread opens with Post #1 and a tab that allows you to "Jump to latest" post.
Every other forum I use has this feature - never seen it here.

It usually takes a few days after the site transitions to the new platform, but once it does, clicking the title will usually take you to the last unread post. Clicking the timestamp will take you to the last (newest) post. If all of the posts have been read, I am guessing it does what you mentioned.

- Cricket
Again, on every other forum I use, clicking the title always goes to post #1 regardless of read/unread status. If you want to go straight to first unread, there's an arrow next to the thread title to click. I'm pretty sure this forum was that way before the change, but can't remember for sure.

·
-Administrator-
66,934 Posts
Have you gone into your profile and changed any site preferences?

Just did this shot - upper right title line....... Jump to Latest

1569248765143.png

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see that button and don't get it. That one should be the "jump to first unread".
No changes have been made to my preferences.

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,428 Posts
matter of personal preference, not the fault of the software. My preference is to always jump to latest.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I'm saying is it's changed a couple of times since the new format, and still doesn't work like a more "typical" forum.

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6 Performance Premium
232 Posts
Something definitely changed recently. I just did a test by going to a thread from 3-4 years ago that I most certainly had never visited previously and clicked on the title of the post. It took me to the last message posted. It always used to take you to the start of the thread in such cases previously, which makes the most sense. Even in this forum, when the "We are live" discussion was quite active, a couple of times I had trouble distinguishing a bold title from regular type and clicked on it looking for a new post. If there weren't any it took me to post #1.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
New posts, unless you change the default, is only set to show unread posts. If there aren't any new posts, it is going to "assume" they have all been read. If you click the title at that point, it will take you to the 1st post. If you click the time stamp to the right, it will take you to the end.

- Cricket

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but this is not how it is working now. I just did another test.

I went to this post from 2012:

I was not a member of this forum back then so it was certainly never read by me. When I clicked on that, it took me to the last post in the thread. If I understand correctly what you wrote above, it should have taken me to post #1 in the thread, but it did not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If there aren't any new posts, it is going to "assume" they have all been read. If you click the title at that point, it will take you to the 1st post. If you click the time stamp to the right, it will take you to the end.

- Cricket
That's the exact opposite of how it works right now.

·
-Administrator-
66,934 Posts
No problems here - if I go to a thread and click the time stamp for the thread I get Post #1. If I click the time stamp for the last post entered, I get ...... the last post.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No problems here - if I go to a thread and click the time stamp for the thread I get Post #1. If I click the time stamp for the last post entered, I get ...... the last post.
I was not talking about time stamps, I was talking about thread titles. It is clicking on that which has changed.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but this is not how it is working now. I just did another test.

I went to this post from 2012:

I was not a member of this forum back then so it was certainly never read by me. When I clicked on that, it took me to the last post in the thread. If I understand correctly what you wrote above, it should have taken me to post #1 in the thread, but it did not.
I have seen situation where OLD threads with no activity for more than 30 days that auto marks them off as read, which explains the behavior of it going to the end for you.

This has been reported.

- Cricket

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never seen a clickable time stamp anywhere else. Good to know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts