Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IT seems like something is draining my battery. Last year it would drain if I left the truck for a week. Then it went to about 3 days , now it's overnight. Battery is 18 months Any ideas?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
godsdiablo said:
Anything extra installed?
aftermarket radio but the problem started long after that. I had years of problem free with the new audio. Only other is I lost my keys with the fob and I bought a fob from Amazon.

----------

An aftermarket audio but has not given me trouble. The only other thing I can think of is a key fob I bought thru Amazon. I lost the factory set

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Yeah I've been installing stereos for a long time and they were rarely the cause in any battery drain issue

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I had a time figuring out what was the drain in my dad's h2 and it ended up being the cluster kicking on when the key is off

Any aftermarket amps along with the radio??

Aftermarket alarm???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is an amp but the lights go off when the key is off. I noticed that if I unplug the alternator , the battery doesn't drain.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
There is an amp but the lights go off when the key is off. I noticed that if I unplug the alternator , the battery doesn't drain.
I called my mechanic who also has a starter/alternator shop in the same building. He said you may want to feel the alternator for warmth after the engine is cold. That would point to a bad regulator inside the alternator. My wiring diagram shows the alternator is fed from the powertrain control module and it could be feeding the alternator when it should not be. Cadillac man, what does your diagram show?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
I called my mechanic who also has a starter/alternator shop in the same building. He said you may want to feel the alternator for warmth after the engine is cold. That would point to a bad regulator inside the alternator. My wiring diagram shows the alternator is fed from the powertrain control module and it could be feeding the alternator when it should not be. Cadillac man, what does your diagram show?
It's the same
I know when my alternator failed back of this it got red hot before it failed(brushes went bad)

----------

MKT-EXT it would be great if you filled in the vehicle info so we can see the year of your truck

Gm made changes to the charging system in 05 and there is a small black box that does the charging control

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Oh ok i ask because I have a few brand new take off alternators, but it will probably be a few days before it gets to you

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
On my 05 it was the starter that drained my battery. It was bad enough that it would drain it in an hour or two.

No loose/corroded connections or anything noticeable. I simply changed the alternator (after changing the battery thinking it was bad) and never had a problem since. I thinking it was an internal short although the starter body never seemed to get hot to the touch when it was at ambient temperature. It was summer though so maybe I just didn't notice it in near 100 degree weather.

It drove me nuts trying to track that one down.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wesyder said:
Oh ok i ask because I have a few brand new take off alternators, but it will probably be a few days before it gets to you
I would love to try an alternator but they are costly. Plus the old school in me says that if it runs , than the alternator should be good.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If you don't mind the wait ill send you one if you just cover shipping...pm for details

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
MKT-EXT said:
I would love to try an alternator but they are costly. Plus the old school in me says that if it runs , than the alternator should be good.
I would take him up on the offer as these trucks have a lot of electronic modules that can get damaged if the alternator goes nutty or puts out more then it should
I speak from experience on this

I was still able to drive my truck when the alternator went out but I wouldn't have made it home when it did(luckily I was close to my local dealer to get one without worry)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even tho my battery is only 18 months old , I'm thinking that it could be a bad battery. Last year it seemed like my battery would drain quicker and quicker. If it sat for a week it would die, then it was a couple of days , then overnight. I just got my tuck out of storage and I can't get it to hold a charge at all. I stored it with a battery tender hooked up al winter.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts