Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on their 1st post spamed the lounge just in case a mod runs across this please go in there and remove it. Also I'd like to suggest we instate a minimum post count for posting links If we can disable links for low number posters we'll eliminate any spam problems. Set it at like 100, what spammer can make up 100 different technical posts just to drop a link for whatthehellever.com. Just a friendly suggestion. I HATE SPAM!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There should be more post limits to a lot of things here. I am beginning to wonder if there should be a post limit for avatars and attachments to counter any hacking that may occur.

For example, a new member should only be allowed to have an avatar from the selection that this site provides while under an X amount of posts, where X = 150 or something to that effect. And last I checked, hacking the avatar attachments from this site wouldn't even be doable because their just a selection-by-checkmark picture that will be put up once selected. Personal avatars seem to be the problem...

As for posting pictures as attachments, the new member should only be allowed to link those pictures from another host which is not Cadillac forums. Only members with an X amount of posts should have the privilege to post attachments from this site, where X = 150 or so...

And DopeStar is 100% correct: nobody will go through the trouble of creating 150 or more posts just to hack, and judging by the type of posts they have, it may be easier to determine what their intentions are and thus the problem may be resolved before it even starts.

So Sal, what do you think about this?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If I may make another sugestion...

When I first joined this site, the email that I had to provide was not limited to any specific ISP, i.e., I could add a Hotmail address or anyhting else which is considered a generic email address.

What I observed while trying to join the fiero Forums is that they allow only ISP email addresses, thus giving an element of accountability to the member who has joined. They know what their service provider is and that means that the hacker and hacking might be more easily traced.

On another forum that I go to, the do the same thing. Only they did the aforementioned change, thus meaning that current members who hold generic email addresses could stay, while new members wishing to join had to provide an ISP specific email address. This was because of spamming and such...

I would check it out...

·
Cadillac Maniac
13,753 Posts
There's a lot of great ideas here. Thanks, guys.. I still want to hear more opinions before i make any changes.. I've considered allowing ONLY ISP email addresses before. And the system DOES work the way you suggest - we can allow anyone who's already here to continue using the system with whatever email address they signed-up with - but all NEW accounts must conform to the new rule (not implemented yet, of course). One issue with this is - there are many, many free services available.. I know the basics.. Yahoo, Hotmail.. I guess GMail should be in that list also.. Netscape.....

And yes, the only issue with avatars is the custom upload versions... It's the upload forms that hackers most easily get in through...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Administrator said:
There's a lot of great ideas here. Thanks, guys.. I still want to hear more opinions before i make any changes.. I've considered allowing ONLY ISP email addresses before. And the system DOES work the way you suggest - we can allow anyone who's already here to continue using the system with whatever email address they signed-up with - but all NEW accounts must conform to the new rule (not implemented yet, of course). One issue with this is - there are many, many free services available.. I know the basics.. Yahoo, Hotmail.. I guess GMail should be in that list also.. Netscape.....

And yes, the only issue with avatars is the custom upload versions... It's the upload forms that hackers most easily get in through...
The ISP emails will end with @AOL.com, @MSN.com or whatever. Other 'legit' emails might be [email protected] or the like...Things like 'Hotmail' and the like are obviously the generic email accounts and should be considered as such. There might be a list of approved email addresses, so when I get the chance, I'll look in to it.

Put it like this, there are only so many recognized ISP's (especially here in the States) that will provide ISP specific email accounts, so that list won't be terribly large for legit email addresses.

As for my comment on tracing, many hackers use a program that gives random IP addresses. With my comment on 150 posts to post an attachment on those who 'might' wish to be malicious, your IP log might be able to detect several changes in IP addresses, thus being able to detect someone who might wish to hack. There might be software that would detect such changes too...

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I may add my 2 cents, which are more rambling thoughts on the matter than solutions.

I understand that you mentioned present members would be 'grandfathered in' who use free email addresses, I would just like to remind all that there are a number of people, like myself, with more than one email address for reasons other than work. Some folks may be like me in that they have one email address to use specificly for public venues such as this, or where a email address is needed for contact by some third party vendor. I have on occasion come accross sites which refuse free or non major ISP email addresses. Unless they allow some other form of establishing my legitamacy I do not frequent them.

Spam is such a nuiscence from low lifes trolling for addresses that I would rather not give my normal/private email address out and have to weed through the crap.

A way spammers could actually get around the barrier, would be from some a-hole placing a trojan file on some poor sods computer using their email address and burying the forum with spam that way. Even if the person would have to repond to a email to confirm a address - programs which remotely control another computer are readily availible; if they can control a pc they can certianly check its email. That would make only non-free emaill addresses a useless filter. I do not think I have to remind too many people that troajan files on unprotected computers is fast growing into a very serious problem.

As I mentioned above, some sites, like Ebay I believe, if you are using a free email client you have to provide a means of verifying you are legit - such as a credit card number. Of course all someone would need is a program like the old AOHell that had a random credit card generator within it to get by and establish an account. By the time AOL realized.it was a fake CC #, usually 24 hours later, the bastidge already had flooded email boxes with spam. So CC#'s cant be relied on either

It ia a PIA anyway you look at it. As a WIZOP on the old CompuServe I had to deal with it as well. Some folks made honest errors, apologized and went through proper procedures, others were just a-holes who did whatever they could to do their dirty deeds.

The hard part I know is finding a happy medium between a fun and relaxing place to visit, which this is, and a boring dry tech only site.

Someone will always find a better lock and someone else will find a better pick to open it. We all need to be diligent, and look after our little community like it were a neighborhood watch program. Show that the folks here do not tolerate BS and we may convince some to not even bother.

For thousands of years there have been strict laws against crimes yet still they persist.

Short of shutting this palce down, and that would be its own crime, I do not think we will be able to rid ourselves of pests....but we might be able to make their lives equally miserable<g>

Lets see...if 8000 members each mailed 10 phony cc#'s to some spammer...he would be busy for a while...

K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
KOBO