Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to vent, and also get some input from folks on the board...

I bought a 2011 V Sedan June 30th. It's expected to arrive in ~2 weeks from now (production was scheduled last week, but no updates on the dealers system yet)

I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra that I'm trading - they guaranteed me $9500 when I traded the vehicle in , which isn't too bad (market rates up here in Canada are around $12 to $14K)

So yesterday I goto my truck, and some idiot keyed both front fenders, and the hood. I think it was just a random act of vandalism, but regardless - it's infuriating.

So, understandably, the dealer wants to re-assess my vehicle. I plan to have the repairs done under insurance, and I was thinking of giving it to the dealer I'm buying the V from to repair.

So my question is this: I'm guessing a basic paint job for a hood and 2 front fenders will cost ~$600 - $750. Any idea as to how this would effect the trade-in value of my vehicle? I don't want to get fleeced here.

THanks

S

·
0 Posts
Normally when insurance is involved they put it on the vehicles carfax. This IMO will lower the value based on perception. Carfax (to my knowledge) doesnt explain what the repair is. It shows a value of the damage and thats it.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V / 2015 Porsche Cayenne
725 Posts
Not sure of the mileage of your Xterra, if its over 100,000 km it'll probably go to auction from the dealer anyways, usually under 100,000 km or several years old they will put on the used car lot. Dealer will not be concerned with the car fax, they just want something they can sell and make a profit fairly quickly. the value of your trade should not be affected as long as the vehicle is repaired to its original condition, the dealership is also making money on your repair! If they alter the price i would walk away from the original deal!

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vehicle has 86,000KM's, and other than the scratches, it's in tip top shape.

I agree that this should not really impact the trade-in value if they are selling it on the used car lot - they know exactly what the repairs were, so if a buyer came in and saw the Carfax, they would be able to easily explain it. I don't personally consider fixing a scratch to be a serious repair. The only time I would question this as a used car buyer is if the paint didn't match. The color is pewter so I don't think this will be a problem.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
363 Posts
Dealers in general will depreciate the trade in for any minor paint repair just as they would for major collision damage. They can check the paint thickness with a gauge and know automatically that the panal has been painted and will knock off the trade in value regardless of the quality of the repair or the reason for the re-paint. Chances are they are going to depreciate the vehicle whether you paint it or not. Might be best to use the money for the trade in to reduce the loss and not bother with the re-painting. You can always ask what the trade in value will be painted or not and see what happens. IMHO

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
So yesterday I goto my truck, and some idiot keyed both front fenders, and the hood. I think it was just a random act of vandalism, but regardless - it's infuriating.

So, understandably, the dealer wants to re-assess my vehicle. I plan to have the repairs done under insurance, and I was thinking of giving it to the dealer I'm buying the V from to repair.
Darren,

What a royal PIA to have this happen - especially so close to delivery and knowing how much you're looking forward to the new V. This must be so frustrating...
If you're thinking of putting it thru your insurance, figure out if it's worthwhile doing, taking into consideration what your deductible is... and what the estimate for repainting works out to be. Can you talk to your agent and get an idea what, if any impact there might be on your future premiums if you make this claim?
Good luck on getting this resolved as best you can!

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elie - I actually have zero deductible, so that won't be an issue. Also, I did ask about the impact to my premiums, and while they weren't able to give me a definite answer, they said it would be minimal since this is not an at-fault claim.

Have an adjuster calling me in a day or so... will have more info then.

Also - good idea to ask about trade in value of painted vs. not painted. May not be worth fixing, although I would imagine the dealer will try to gouge me if I suggest I will trade it in without fixing the paint.

I'm hoping they don't lower the trade-in value more than $500, especially if I have it fixed by a good paint shop (or give it to the dealer to fix on their own with my insurance claim)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Elie - I actually have zero deductible, so that won't be an issue. Also, I did ask about the impact to my premiums, and while they weren't able to give me a definite answer, they said it would be minimal since this is not an at-fault claim.

Have an adjuster calling me in a day or so... will have more info then.

Also - good idea to ask about trade in value of painted vs. not painted. May not be worth fixing, although I would imagine the dealer will try to gouge me if I suggest I will trade it in without fixing the paint.

I'm hoping they don't lower the trade-in value more than $500, especially if I have it fixed by a good paint shop (or give it to the dealer to fix on their own with my insurance claim)
Well that's good news! Much easier decision to make then about putting it through your insurance! :thumbsup:
Keep us posted!

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
'11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1
334 Posts
So yesterday I goto my truck, and some idiot keyed both front fenders, and the hood.
So my question is this: I'm guessing a basic paint job for a hood and 2 front fenders will cost ~$600 - $750.
It's probably going to be quite a bit more for the 3 panels, and that is if they don't have to blend into the adjacent doors to get an acceptable color match. If the scratch is close to the nearest panel they won't be able to just paint the fender, it will look two toned (granted, it is probably going to the auction but...). A quick & dirty estimate is to figure about $350-400 per panel if the damage is not too bad. It used to be about $300/panel but the cost of materials has skyrocketed over the past few years. Pewter can be a tricky color to blend as well, been there & done that too many times. Like some of the other people advised, get an estimate & then see what the dealer is willing to do as far as your trade. If they only want to knock a few bucks off the trade-in, it may be easier & cheaper then getting it fixed. Some insurances will not bang you if the damage is less that $1000. Canada may be a different story in regards to chargable incidents.

·
Registered
'09V [email protected] stock, '15i Escalade ESV, '18 Silverado LT
654 Posts
I can sympathize you. Unfortunately this was to my V. I just spent half the day repairing 1) white paint swipe on front passenger door handle 2) another swipe next to the chrome strip on my driver side door 3) left passenger door that looks like they took their key ring and smacked it on the door. Unbelievable. Fortunately the two swipes were able to buff out. I used that "Seen on TV" pen that is supposed to repair scratches. It is flat bladed and I don't really know how it works but it blended/rubbed out the scratches, but left paint brush looking strokes in the paint. Spent probably half hour with an orbital and was able to blend it in. I just don't understand these jack$ffs. I never park close to anyone and that is probably the reason most of this happens. I really don't know what to do. These idiots are everywhere. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Sorry for the rant but I was pondering my own thread to blow off some steam. I hope everything works out for the best.

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - took the nissan to the dealer, and they told me they would take $400 off the value of my trade and call it a day. No insurance necessary.

Phew. I'm still pissed off that I'm losing $400 for some idiot who keyed my car, but I guess it could have been worse.

On a positive note - MY CAR HAS ARRIVED!! Picking it up Monday at 3pm :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Not bad at all. $400 is way less than I thought.

Just keep the V safe. I hope whoever did the keying leaves your new vehicle alone.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
If is was appraised, then damaged, then repaired, the net amount should be equal at the end. Talk with the insurance company about this as the total loss or devaluation based on a recent appraisal. They may help you, they might not, but it's worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Update - took the nissan to the dealer, and they told me they would take $400 off the value of my trade and call it a day. No insurance necessary.

Phew. I'm still pissed off that I'm losing $400 for some idiot who keyed my car, but I guess it could have been worse.

On a positive note - MY CAR HAS ARRIVED!! Picking it up Monday at 3pm :)
Good news all round! Take lots of pics tomorrow!

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just keep the V safe. I hope whoever did the keying leaves your new vehicle alone.
This is a serious issue I have been concerned about. I live in a condo and as luck would have it, a friend of mine lives in the same building, and has offered to switch parking spots with me for a few months. Hopefully after a little time, the person who keyed my car (assuming it was them of course, as I'm not 100% sure) will have calmed down.

I'm also planning to get my plates switched to a new set as a safety precaution as well. It only costs a few bucks and is worth piece of mind.

I haven't actually seen the person who parks beside me (and they haven't seen me) so I'm hoping a few months + new car with new plates will make them think that it's a new person parking in my spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts