Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive buy this little lunch diner today, and sitting outside is a mint, and I do mean mint, 1987 Fleetwood D' Elegance. Pure white, real wire wheels, the works. I stop and go inside and ask the cook if he knows who owns it. He looks at me all suspicious and says, "Yeah, me. I'm gonna buy it tomorrow."

I say, "What year is it?"

He says "1984"

I look at him wierd, but don't argue with him. It's a C-body; obviously not an '84.

I say, 'How many miles?"

He says, "67 thousand."

I say, "Do you know it's service history?"

He says, "No, it's from an estate."

I say, "Well, you know it has the HT-4100 engine, which can be kind of tricky to take care of."

He says, "Look, I'm buying the car - stop trying to talk me out of it."

I say, "Do yourself a favor and check out Cadillac forums dot com, the HT 4100 section and see for yourself before you buy this car."

He says (gotta love this) "I can't waste that kind of time. Besides, my WIFE IS GOING TO DRIVE THIS CAR. SHE TAKES CARE OF ALL THAT CRAP."

I just smiled and drove away. Good luck buddy.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
noahsdad said:
I say, "Do yourself a favor and check out Cadillac forums dot com, the HT 4100 section and see for yourself before you buy this car."
Did you mean to read the thread:
"HT 4100 - Success stories"?

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yeah - I started that thread because I like my 4100. I just don't want somebody going into owning one with their eyes closed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
noahsdad said:
Well, yeah - I started that thread because I like my 4100. I just don't want somebody going into owning one with their eyes closed.
Yeah, I knew that thread was started by you. Well, but you are right. I used to own HT4100 and the engine itself was fine, but HT4100 is a very tricky thing to check when buying... Well, I think all 4.xs and N* are somewhat like that, too. Not like Japanese cars.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, buying ANY aluminum engine used car can be perilous. GM has had it's share of troubles - particularly Cadillac. But most of Cadillac's engine troubles could be avoided simply by following the maintenance schedule.

Not so with Chrysler's 2.7 or Ford's early 3.8. Toyota had plenty of sludge troubles, as did Nissan, and may the good Lord help anyone who buys one of the first new generation VW beetles off a used car lot.

I still think the biggest problem with the 4100 is ill will toward Cadillac caused by problems created by ignorant owners.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Ignorant bastard...

you were just trying to help!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I strongly agree with you!

But:

noahsdad said:
Toyota had plenty of sludge troubles, as did Nissan.
Well, no one around me owns Cadillac. I am the only one. And I am a Japanese. Everybody around me makes fun of me when my car has a problem. Some of my friends have 80s and early 90s Toyota and Nissan and they have never had problems! In fact, you are right, I have never had problems in HT4100 and 4.9 that are related to a coolant issue.

Anyway, it is sad that the car is now being sold to someone who seems not to understand importance of coolant maintenance.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
Hey noahsdad, I have had it happen to me before too, I was walking down the street and noticed a BMW 6 Series (1985-1989), a car I really like. The guy walks out and I tell him I really like his car, and asked him what year it is, he tells me its an 88, and then asks me "what are you planning to do steal it?" WTF, is his problem, I am the last person who would steal a car. I was trying to give him a complememnt. People like that guy and the guy you dealt with should not be allowed to own such awesome cars, they have no appreciation for these type of cars.

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
I got this just this past summer:

Some guy I know does custom bodywork. He has ~96 4-door Civic that he did a custom body job on. He tore the entire roof off of this 4-door Civic to convert it into a convertable, he did all kinds of stero work (won a few awards with it thereafter), and he also placed Deville tail-fin tail lamps from the '89-'93 series Deville on the car side-ways from the normal vertical look they have on their original car. In all honesty, the car didn't look too bad at all.

So we were out talking about his ride when I asked him where he got the tail lights from. He said that they were from an '86 Deville! Now like I said, these are the inset foot-long vertical tail-fin lights from the '89 on up models. Not even close to the cheaper looking tail-fins from the '86 model year...I told him that they couldn't be from an '86, but he argued and argued about it, then I just let him have it just to save his ego from crahing...

My God what are people thinking???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts