Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Black Tesla Model 3, long range, AWD
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2009 CTS in August. There isn't an optional feature that it doesn't have for the model year and I love it. After having it for 7 months, I noticed a couple of things that probably aren't necessary to fix right away but bother me nonetheless.

1. During the frigid Ohio temperatures we had a couple weeks ago, my front right shock would squeak when going over a bump (or into a massive pothole since this is Ohio we're talking about). Is this indicative that I need new shocks or is it only from the cold weather? If it's the latter, is there a way to stop the squeaking? It's a horrendous noise that you'd never expect to come from a Cadillac.

2. At low speeds, I'd say under 5 mph, the steering wheel clicks when turned left and right. I notice it the most when I'm maneuvering into my garage or parking in a parking lot. I can't really tell where the noise is coming from but it seems like it's coming from underneath the car. I have no clue what could be causing the noise but all I know is the car didn't do it when I first got it and it's so annoying to hear when I'm driving it.

3. The cover on the instrument panel storage compartment (the spot right below the infotainment system controls with the accessory power outlet) is sticking to something when I open it. When I push on the bottom part to open it, it opens about a centimeter and then gets stuck on something near the top, and in order to open it I have to push in on the top part to force it open. Likewise, when closing, it closes smoothly up until the very end, where there's resistance and I have to push a little harder in on the bottom for it to click shut. Does this sound like an easy thing to fix? I looked at it for a while before I couldn't figure it out.

My next question isn't about a problem with the car but rather a cosmetic/performance upgrade -- I want to get painted calipers with the Cadillac script on them in either red or yellow but I know nothing about brakes and have no clue where to get them or how much something like this would even set me back. I'd also want to get new drilled and slotted rotors to go with the calipers (and I do know I'd have to get new brake pads because of this too). Any one have any ideas on price or a good source to obtain these items from?

·
Registered
09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere
404 Posts
I also can hear squeaks from my front shocks when it's very cold and going over bumps. I believe it's normal...likely the oil in the shocks which is too tick...?

The steering wheel used to click at low speed while turning. My dealer changed the steering rack under warranty. Since then, it has been fine!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's too bad about the shocks, the noise it produces is something I'd expect to hear from a 1990 Oldsmobile, not from a 6 year old Cadillac. The weather has warmed up here though so no more squeaking, I guess I'll table this concern til next Winter and it happens again.

I'm taking my car in for a 27 point inspection at my Cadillac dealer next Saturday, I'll bring up the clicking noise while I'm there and mention what the problem was for you, maybe it's similar for me. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2012 CTS, thunder grey chromaflair
120 Posts
I'm taking my car in for a 27 point inspection at my Cadillac dealer next Saturday, I'll bring up the clicking noise while I'm there and mention what the problem was for you, maybe it's similar for me. Thanks for the info!
I have clicks at low speed as well. Please do share what the dealer says. Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Black CTS 3.6L RWD , 2010 Silver CTS 3.6L RWD
51 Posts
I don't believe the squeaks are from the shocks. I remember reading on several threads here and I believe its bushings but not sure which ones.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,168 Posts
You may have the wheel clicking because of tires and rims not being properly torqued. Spec is 140 ft-lbs. That is the first thing I would do.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have the wheel clicking because of tires and rims not being properly torqued. Spec is 140 ft-lbs. That is the first thing I would do.
I'll bring that up when I have my tires rotated. I was driving on the freeway on Sunday and noticed that my steering wheel would vibrate like crazy intermittently, would that be another issue with the wheels? I read that it could be due to incorrectly balanced tires. I noticed the tire pressure went up about 5 psi over in each one though due to the change in weather so I deflated each one back down to 35 psi but I haven't been able to test out if that fixed the problem or not yet.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
I get a lot of squeaking from the suspension when the weather's cold. The first year I had the car I thought something was broken, but it all checked out ok. Once the temps climbed into the 50s it was quiet again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts