Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year i've had to deal with a rattle and vibration that sounded like a loose emissions component, but never bothered to take it in. I did today and was interested to find out what was wrong:

Turns out it was 2 problems. One a result of neglecting the other unfortunately.

1st problem was the belt tensioner was seized and it had glazed the belt. Got the tensioner replaced along with the belt but the sound was there. Mind you it was better, but not gone.

Alas the bad tensioner took a toll on the A/C Compressor. The noise is actually the bearing in the compressor. I was pretty pissed but also offered 3 cost options, all in CDN funds:

-Replace the bearing for $300
-Replace the whole AC clutch $400
-Replace the whole compressor $900

I'm going to go with the middle option and replace the AC clutch. At least that way the noise is eliminated and being that shes still on the original compressor (1994) i'm going to chance it with the life span shortage.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
the tensioner seized???????

hmm , guess i beatter get mine done , its getting noisy , did you check the ilder pulley too , thats where my noise is coming from but its not seized yet

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stoneage_Caddy said:
the tensioner seized???????

hmm , guess i beatter get mine done , its getting noisy , did you check the ilder pulley too , thats where my noise is coming from but its not seized yet
You got it. When you retracted the tensioner it would stay in that position rather than spring back. Without this the belt cannot be properly tensioned under shifts in the belt's movement. The tensioner pulley was a little sticky too.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
never seen a tensioner seize up like that before i ususly see the pulley on the end of it seize up from bearing failure but never the tensioner side ...wierd

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Deville
12 Posts
Was this a consistant rattle or did it start after medium acceleration? I have a '95 Deville that has a nasty rattle but only if the engine is hot and the vehicle is in motion. It's definately coming from the engine but I can't find it.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,257 Posts
Over the past year i've had to deal with a rattle and vibration that sounded like a loose emissions component, but never bothered to take it in. I did today and was interested to find out what was wrong:

Turns out it was 2 problems. One a result of neglecting the other unfortunately.

1st problem was the belt tensioner was seized and it had glazed the belt. Got the tensioner replaced along with the belt but the sound was there. Mind you it was better, but not gone.

Alas the bad tensioner took a toll on the A/C Compressor. The noise is actually the bearing in the compressor. I was pretty pissed but also offered 3 cost options, all in CDN funds:

-Replace the bearing for $300
-Replace the whole AC clutch $400
-Replace the whole compressor $900

I'm going to go with the middle option and replace the AC clutch. At least that way the noise is eliminated and being that shes still on the original compressor (1994) i'm going to chance it with the life span shortage.
You can bypass the AC with a shorter belt. I have got the part numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts