Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a '93, 4.9 Deville. Since we moved to Arkansas, starter has problem when overheated. Cold Start is fine, but after driving in heat, starter will hesitate, then engage after parking. If I let cool, it's fine.
Have installed new (not rebuilt) starter, was fine, but when heat went up, same problem. Feel that wire in solenoid is contacting, or I am getting resistance in wire from neutal safety switch!
Am considering putting in a remote starter kit away from manifold. In the black maintenance book, the starter picture shows a heat shield, but new starter doesn't come that way. Most that have installed heat shield say no good, but remote starter seems to work on GM starters.
Any suggestions, or experience with remote starter kit using old Ford solenoid?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Did you replace the solenoid? I had the same problem years ago. The solenoid contacts would heat, expand and loose contact. Let it cool and all was well. I replaced the solenoid and I think I even fabricated a heat shield for it. Another reason why Northstar starters last longer.

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter and solenoid both replaced new at the same time, but have same problem of hesitation on startup when hot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts