Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

^^ dude did the exact same thing as me.

I figure I got my whole life to drive hybrids plus when hybrid technology advances ten-fold these will be worth dirt :manny: minus well take advantage of what I came across because the car I found was obviously cared for exceptionally. It's in showroom condition, has the original manuals and all-type of controls and displays. As far as amenities go I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything from my Prius, I've even got an MPG display

This car is all-original. What should I do with it?

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Re: Sold my Prius, bought my first Cadillac - 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood d'Elegance

Welcome to the forums! Fine looking car you've got there!

All I can do is give you the "if it was mine" line of reasoning, based on my personal ideas as to what is cool in the vehicle world. While I'd retain all the original parts in storage, I'd upgrade to some more attractive wheel-and-tire package (I personally dislike wire hubcaps a great deal), tint the windows, and drive the everloving crap out of it. It looks very nice, and could look even nicer with the right accessories! Again, this is just my opinion based on my personal tastes.

No matter what you choose to do, you've got a really nice base to start from. You'll spend a lot more on gas than with the Prius, but at least on this car you'll be able to do more of the maintenance. Parts should be plentiful and less expensive.

And first and foremost, now you get to ride in style!

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,141 Posts
Re: Sold my Prius, bought my first Cadillac - 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood d'Elegance

agree with Rat on this. Don't like the fake wire wheels. Upgrade wheels & tires, but don't donkify it. One thing I didn't like about that vintage was the ugly pole antenna on the front fender. One thing I DO like is the lamp monitors on the front fenders and the ones visible in your rear view mirror.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,842 Posts

^^ dude did the exact same thing as me.

I figure I got my whole life to drive hybrids plus when hybrid technology advances ten-fold these will be worth dirt :manny: minus well take advantage of what I came across because the car I found was obviously cared for exceptionally. It's in showroom condition, has the original manuals and all-type of controls and displays. As far as amenities go I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything from my Prius, I've even got an MPG display

This car is all-original. What should I do with it?

-------------------------------
nice CLASSY looking car -

PLEASE don't screw it up with DONK WHEELS -
blacked out windows -
loud muffler -
or a La Cakaroacha air horn -

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Thizzmobile said:
Video Link: youtube ^^ dude did the exact same thing as me. I figure I got my whole life to drive hybrids plus when hybrid technology advances ten-fold these will be worth dirt :manny: minus well take advantage of what I came across because the car I found was obviously cared for exceptionally. It's in showroom condition, has the original manuals and all-type of controls and displays. As far as amenities go I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything from my Prius, I've even got an MPG display This car is all-original. What should I do with it?
hell. Yes!

Awesome ride man!! I'd definitely recommend doing the pipes. I'm thinking about window tint and some 18 inch wheels. But the rims have to look just right. I'm not gonna throw somethin ugly on.

Other than that and a good stereo just keep it as new and clean as possible!! Welcome and thank you for keeping an old beaut alive and ditching the Prius =) :thumbsup:

·
19,842 Posts

I'd definitely recommend doing the pipes -
window tint -
But the rims have to look just right.

oh ya!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

hell. Yes!

Awesome ride man!! I'd definitely recommend doing the pipes. I'm thinking about window tint and some 18 inch wheels. But the rims have to look just right. I'm not gonna throw somethin ugly on.

Other than that and a good stereo just keep it as new and clean as possible!! Welcome and thank you for keeping an old beaut alive and ditching the Prius =) :thumbsup:
-------------------------------
nice CLASSY looking car -

PLEASE don't screw it up with DONK WHEELS -
blacked out windows -
loud muffler -
or a La Cakaroacha air horn -
blacked out windows are frowned upon? I was looking at the car and for me tints are always comfortable as I'm a private person, I take road trips often and sometimes forgo hotel rooms for sleep in the car - I was looking at the car though while stopped at a gas station on the way back from it's inaugural ride and did wonder if the tints would be off-putting and perhaps detract from the appearance . . maybe even out of place, however I do enjoy the privacy of it. In California I'm legally allowed a 70 in the front and 100 in the back, I hear it's not enforced but I don't want to be stuck with some arbitrary fix-it ticket just because some cop seems an opportunity

I would like to seal the doors a bit more, it doesn't feel like the heat really stays in the car long once you turn the heat off - I'd like to be able to fix that

If there's anything I can do to enhance the gas mileage . . that would be utmost priority. With the readouts I'm getting it seems like things are working in good condition, nothing is holding it back there. Did I mention how smooth the ride is? I believe the engine this model is equipped with is the HT-4100, any info on mods that could enhance efficiency would be greatly appreciated

The steering wheel is a bit thin, is there a steering wheel cover that could fix this?

With this car there's all types of electronic features I've never had before, it's amazing that they're all in working order. Even with the difference in age between this and my former car I still feel like I've gained a bit in amenity.

----------

this guy did something very similar to me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z87dBcmS8U

I'm reading that the Cadillac HT4100 engine can be maintenance intensive . . any advice on it?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thizz- there are a definitely some old fogies on here that don't like hotrodding some of these Cadillacs so just ignore the haters and do your thing. Lot of these guys know a ton and are definitely a wealth of experience but in terms of your artistic vision for your car- it's your money and its your ride. Do what you want!!

I highly recommend flowmasters 10 series mufflers. Here's an audio clip from my car:

https://soundcloud.com/dc-audio-engineering/fly-bys

It's such a glorious sound to daily. Never gets old. Blows people away. Especially those slow and in the way, and those that can't drive.

---------- Beautiful video by the way

·
19,842 Posts

Thizz- there are a definitely some old fogies on here that don't like hotrodding some of these Cadillacs so just ignore the haters and do your thing. Lot of these guys know a ton and are definitely a wealth of experience but in terms of your artistic vision for your car- it's your money and its your ride. Do what you want!!

I highly recommend flowmasters 10 series mufflers. Here's an audio clip from my car:

It's such a glorious sound to daily. Never gets old. Blows people away. Especially those slow and in the way, and those that can't drive.

============================================
there are a lot of old fogies on here that don't like hotrodding some of these Cadillacs
how can you use the term "hotrodding"
in the same sentence as "Cadillac HT4100" -
and not break out in hysterical laughter?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
basscatt said:
============================================ there are a lot of old fogies on here that don't like hotrodding some of these Cadillacs how can you use the term "hotrodding" in the same sentence as "Cadillac HT4100" - and not break out in hysterical laughter?
It's not the car it's the mindset

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If yours is a '92 I believe it has the 4.9, I'm pretty sure mine has the 4.9. I don't know how much I want to attract attention to myself, it would be nice to trick it out but I don't know if I'm in that bracket where I have extra cash to throw around . . maybe over time though. First and foremost I'd like to do the most I can to enhance the gas mileage. I'm completely new to this so what muffler would have the best effect on MPG?

·
19,842 Posts

blacked out windows are frowned upon? I was looking at the car and for me tints are always comfortable as I'm a private person, I take road trips often and sometimes forgo hotel rooms for sleep in the car - I was looking at the car though while stopped at a gas station on the way back from it's inaugural ride and did wonder if the tints would be off-putting and perhaps detract from the appearance . . maybe even out of place, however I do enjoy the privacy of it. In California I'm legally allowed a 70 in the front and 100 in the back, I hear it's not enforced but I don't want to be stuck with some arbitrary fix-it ticket just because some cop seems an opportunity

I would like to seal the doors a bit more, it doesn't feel like the heat really stays in the car long once you turn the heat off - I'd like to be able to fix that

If there's anything I can do to enhance the gas mileage . . that would be utmost priority. With the readouts I'm getting it seems like things are working in good condition, nothing is holding it back there. Did I mention how smooth the ride is? I believe the engine this model is equipped with is the HT-4100, any info on mods that could enhance efficiency would be greatly appreciated

The steering wheel is a bit thin, is there a steering wheel cover that could fix this?

With this car there's all types of electronic features I've never had before, it's amazing that they're all in working order. Even with the difference in age between this and my former car I still feel like I've gained a bit in amenity.

----------

this guy did something very similar to me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z87dBcmS8U

I'm reading that the Cadillac HT4100 engine can be maintenance intensive . . any advice on it?
================================
blacked out windows are frowned upon?
punks - pimps - drug dealers - gangsters - and old people in Florida
have tinted windows -

I believe the engine this model is equipped with is the HT-4100,
unfortunately - yes - the worst motor Cadillac EVER made -

any info on mods that could enhance efficiency would be greatly appreciated
nothing available that actually works -

a QUALITY leather wrap - properly installed - should do the trick -

I'm reading that the Cadillac HT4100 engine can be maintenance intensive . .
any advice on it?

as I said - the HT4100 was the worst Cadillac engine - EVER -

all you can do is keep up with scheduled maintenance -
keep your fingers crossed -
learn to deal with the lack of power -

-------------

enjoy the car for what it IS -
and don't blame it for what it never can be -

-------------------

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thizzmobile said:
If yours is a '92 I believe it has the 4.9, I'm pretty sure mine has the 4.9. I don't know how much I want to attract attention to myself, it would be nice to trick it out but I don't know if I'm in that bracket where I have extra cash to throw around . . maybe over time though. First and foremost I'd like to do the most I can to enhance the gas mileage. I'm completely new to this so what muffler would have the best effect on MPG?
Attention attraction is one of the reasons I've held off on wheels and tint. The pipes I'm all about though. Loud when you want, quiet(ish) if you're really easy on it.

As far as mpg just make sure the emissions system is in prime shape. Refresh your ignition system, fuel filter, air filter ect. Just do a standard tune up and be easy on the gas pedal. Lots of rolling and timing of lights to keep the car in motion.

No muffler is going to affect mpg unfortunately. It'll definitely bring out some sound and maybe some unnoticeable power but if done right you'll love it. I had the 40 series, then went to the 10. 10 is the loudest flowmasters makes. Single chamber baffled race muffler.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts

If it were mine I'd do tint but not super dark, and change the rims with factory ones from one of the newer devilles like 91-93.
Keep up with maintenance cause those engines are notorious for going bad. On the plus side you have one that's lasted nearly 30 years so that's a good sign.
And if the power antenna is broken replace it. Love the power antennas, hate them when they're broke.
If you want to stay factory with the steering wheel find a good leather cover for it.

·
Registered
1988 Fleetwood d'Elegance
151 Posts

I have an '88 Fleetwood that is stock and that's how I have wanted to maintain it. I did add keyless entry and upgraded the original auto dim mirror to one that has a compass. Other than that, mine is fully loaded. One other thing I did was to change the wheels in favor of a wheel option available in that era.

Unfortunately, I can't upload a pic due to the site restrictions.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts

I wouldn't lose your mind over the 4100 being Cadillac's worst engine. The reason why is this - it's still a better engine than some other companies have made as their best engine. With proper maintenance, it can last a very long time. It could blow up tomorrow if properly maintained too. And so could my 4.9. People outside of Cadillac circles often fear the "dreaded Northstar." Turns out they can be an extremely good engine if treated right (they are the Cadillac 4.6.) Short story, just drive it and enjoy it. You aren't in possession of a rocket, and it'll never be one. It's a cruiser... so cruise!

·
19,842 Posts

=====================
Very nice - CLASSY - :thumbsup:

----------

I wouldn't lose your mind over the 4100 being Cadillac's worst engine. The reason why is this - it's still a better engine than some other companies have made as their best engine. With proper maintenance, it can last a very long time. It could blow up tomorrow if properly maintained too. And so could my 4.9. People outside of Cadillac circles often fear the "dreaded Northstar." Turns out they can be an extremely good engine if treated right (they are the Cadillac 4.6.) Short story, just drive it and enjoy it. You aren't in possession of a rocket, and it'll never be one. It's a cruiser... so cruise!
==================================
it's still a better engine than some other companies have made as their best engine.
other than a Yugo - I can't think of another -

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts

4.1 is not the worst engine they ever made, that goes to the 8-6-4 variable displacement engine from the early 80s. The HT4100 is just kind of low horsepower, but they respond well to basic performance tunes, esp a high-flow cat, good ignition parts, advance the timing a bit, and you can make it jump. They can be high maintenance if they have not been taken care of, can be hard to identify problems sometimes too. If you get the opportunity, TBI injection means you can replace it with a 4.5 or 4.9 with just a little work, don't even have to modify the wiring any, just about anything. Unlike the later models that have to control everything and won't let you change anything.

I am personally fond of the blocky mid-80s design, in the same vein as the Grand National, or the Celebrity, a couple of others. I don't like the round pill-shaped cars. And while the C-body is small compared to the earlier gen they are still quite large compared to present day cars.

·
19,842 Posts

4.1 is not the worst engine they ever made, that goes to the 8-6-4 variable displacement engine from the early 80s. The HT4100 is just kind of low horsepower, but they respond well to basic performance tunes, esp a high-flow cat, good ignition parts, advance the timing a bit, and you can make it jump. They can be high maintenance if they have not been taken care of, can be hard to identify problems sometimes too. If you get the opportunity, TBI injection means you can replace it with a 4.5 or 4.9 with just a little work, don't even have to modify the wiring any, just about anything. Unlike the later models that have to control everything and won't let you change anything.

I am personally fond of the blocky mid-80s design, in the same vein as the Grand National, or the Celebrity, a couple of others. I don't like the round pill-shaped cars. And while the C-body is small compared to the earlier gen they are still quite large compared to present day cars.
===============================
4.1 is not the worst engine they ever made,
that goes to the 8-6-4 variable displacement engine from the early 80s

the 368 was simply a de-bored 472 - a fine motor -
the 8-6-4 ELECTRONICS were an absolute disaster -

pulling one wire would disable the 8-6-4 "feature" -
and you ended up with a strong fuel injected engine that would run forever -

HT4100 is just kind of low horsepower,
ya think?
a WHOPPING 135HP - and a STAGGERING 195 FT/LB of torque -

but they respond well to basic performance tunes -
you can make it jump.