Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Deville
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of those solar panels that you plug into the cigarette lighter to help maintain your battery. But I know on my 97 Deville, there's a feature that shuts the power off to the cigarette lighter to prevent drain after about 10 min.

Would that prevent a trickle-charge from the solar panel?

The solar panel also came with battery clamps, could I wire it somewhere near the dash?

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
im sure you could wire it in . but why not just open the hood and hook the clamps tot he battery?

thats how mine sits , its so damn big it doesnt have the cig lighter option , its 1.5 feet by 2 feet ...and its hooked to mine to keep the battery charged while it sits , i ride my harley every day and rarely drive the caddy , sounds mean but its keeping the miles off it and keeping it nice

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
There is a very, very large difference between simple single solar panel 12V automotive battery maintainers and a full-fledged home electrical system with its multiple southerly facing panels, cabling, batteries, regulators and inverters.

If you live in an area of the country that is more than 20% cloudy most of the time the systems are very inefficient. For the car battery, because I'm in deep woods with its limited direct sunlight all day, I use a simple $24.95 Battery Minder, plugged into a wall socket in the garage - or an extension cord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts