Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2023 Escalade ESV Sport 4WD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my OEM Bridgestone Alenza A/S 02 tires with the best of the best for noise and ride comfort to achieve that Cadillac ride! I have narrowed down to:

MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S
PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3

Any feedback on how these would compare to the OEM Bridgestones, of which are not really rated that well..

· Registered
406 Posts
brusgestones are garbage. I had the a/s 3 on my 21. Now with the 23 I’m in the same debate as you. I liked the a/s 3 a lot , but from what I read the Michelins may be a tad better for softness and quietness

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brusgestones are garbage. I had the a/s 3 on my 21. Now with the 23 I’m in the same debate as you. I liked the a/s 3 a lot , but from what I read the Michelins may be a tad better for softness and quietness
I had the A/S 3s on my last car (Ford Expedition Max) and they made a major comfort improvement over the stock tires. Night and day, actually, therefore I am excited to get an even better ride out of my new Escalade ESV!

· Registered
17 Posts
Looking to upgrade my OEM Bridgestone Alenza A/S 02 tires with the best of the best for noise and ride comfort to achieve that Cadillac ride! I have narrowed down to:

MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S
PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3

Any feedback on how these would compare to the OEM Bridgestones, of which are not really rated that well..
Michelin without a doubt

· Registered
18 Posts
Not an exact comparison but I have Michelin Defenders on my RAM 3500. They ride and handle great. Way better than the stock firestones. That said the Escalade and Ram are obviously different platforms. I would think the Michelin would perform well on the Escalade. That will be my replacement choice for sure

· Registered
310 Posts
I just put the A/S3 on my V and they are amazing. The side wall is A little stiffer (which I love) but over all the ride and steering response is awesome!

· Registered
406 Posts
I just had a long conversation with my tire guy. His recommendation was do the Pirelli again. He said on a high performance car such as a amg , the Michelins are great. The pilot 4s ( may be off on the ordering ). Regarding the suvs , he said Michelin cares more about tread life. The tread may be show high , but the ride will not last. He told me I’ll be a lot happier with the Pirelli. They scared very similar in numbers but people were a lot happier with the pireli overall . He really didn’t want me getting the Michelins on this.

again he said the Michelins do have similar ratings.

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,903 Posts
Pour a stiff bourbon and water and get into the customer reviews and ratings for the tires in question in www.tirerack.com.

Cooper makes some damned fine tires for larger vehicles, trucks, SUVs. We sold a LOT of various Cooper tire types at the local Western (Tire &) Auto where I worked for 5 years part time behind the parts & service counter (bored during retirements).

This discussion does NOT need a poll.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had the Scorpion AS Plus 3s put on... drove about 20 miles and turned right back to the tire center for a refund and reinstall of the stock Bridgestones. Maybe I didn't give the Scorpions a chance to break in, but my first impressions, compared to the stock 22" Bridgestones were; more noise, both over bumps and wind noise/road hum in general, much more (surprisingly) jarring over large bumps. Went back to stock and instantly felt more isolated and floaty, which was my ultimate goal. Sticking with OEM tires for now.

· Registered
406 Posts
Just had the Scorpion AS Plus 3s put on... drove about 20 miles and turned right back to the tire center for a refund and reinstall of the stock Bridgestones. Maybe I didn't give the Scorpions a chance to break in, but my first impressions, compared to the stock 22" Bridgestones were; more noise, both over bumps and wind noise/road hum in general, much more (surprisingly) jarring over large bumps. Went back to stock and instantly felt more isolated and floaty, which was my ultimate goal. Sticking with OEM tires for now.
Wow that’s really surprising. I didn’t have any of that with my 21. I just ordered them as well for my V. Getting them put on Tuesday. Wonder if it was over inflated , put on wrong or a bad batch

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow that’s really surprising. I didn’t have any of that with my 21. I just ordered them as well for my V. Getting them put on Tuesday. Wonder if it was over inflated , put on wrong or a bad batch
All were inflated to 36 PSI. Balanced and installed by a very reputable shop. I didn't really give them a chance, as i only had them on for about 20 combined miles, but my stock tires seem like much thinner/softer rubber. I stepped on the sidewalls and they just seemed thinner compared to the Scorpions. I think I am at a point of diminishing returns with tire upgrades on the new truck in search of a softer ride. I am going to stick with the OEM tires for now. Maybe, down the line, I'll try a set of 18s with LTXs for that ultra floaty ride I am after.

I will say the Scorpions gave a much more confident and predictable handling, both today on my ESV, as well as on my previous SUV, which totally makes sense on a V! Good luck and let me know your experience once installed.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have been thinking of trying the ltx’s for a better ride but haven’t pulled the trigger. I haven’t heard anyone not say they aren’t worth it on the older Escalades. I loved mine back when I had them. Just want someone else to say they make a big difference before I pull the trigger for my 22 lol.

· Registered
406 Posts
All were inflated to 36 PSI. Balanced and installed by a very reputable shop. I didn't really give them a chance, as i only had them on for about 20 combined miles, but my stock tires seem like much thinner/softer rubber. I stepped on the sidewalls and they just seemed thinner compared to the Scorpions. I think I am at a point of diminishing returns with tire upgrades on the new truck in search of a softer ride. I am going to stick with the OEM tires for now. Maybe, down the line, I'll try a set of 18s with LTXs for that ultra floaty ride I am after.

I will say the Scorpions gave a much more confident and predictable handling, both today on my ESV, as well as on my previous SUV, which totally makes sense on a V! Good luck and let me know your experience once installed.
mine are getting installed on Tuesday. As of now I’m still going with the Pirellis. After your issue I debate again on the LTX. However on my 21 I had a much softer ride then the Bridgestones.Maybe it has to be broken in ( don’t remember ). Could be a bad batch as well. Michelin had that not to long ago. If you go down to 18 you’ll have a much better ride. Unfortunately for that’s to much loss on the ride. Do you have air suspension?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mine are getting installed on Tuesday. As of now I’m still going with the Pirellis. After your issue I debate again on the LTX. However on my 21 I had a much softer ride then the Bridgestones.Maybe it has to be broken in ( don’t remember ). Could be a bad batch as well. Michelin had that not to long ago. If you go down to 18 you’ll have a much better ride. Unfortunately for that’s to much loss on the ride. Do you have air suspension?
Yes, I have the adjustable air ride. I may be just dreaming of the old days with my 18” wheels with LTXs on my old navigator with air ride/ IRS. Handled like a boat, but man, was it smooth. Keep us posted when you get the new tires put on!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts