Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... I was just thinking..... let's say you go to the track, but when you race, put the shifter in 2, and leave it there....... it would redline, then shift to 2nd, but when it redlined (or a hair above it) it would automatically shift into 3rd....... then you would absolutly get the most performance from the car....

....but if the shifter is in 2nd, it will automatically go into 3rd and not just stay in 2nd and over rev the engine....right?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
NO.... When the shifter is in 2nd (at least how it is on my car), it will shift from 1-2 and then once it gets to the redline on 2nd it just stays there...... The rev limiter would then kick in and it would stay at the redline to prevent over-revving......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Think of it as an inhibitor switch (but excluded when in 1st, i believe)...... It doesnt put it in that gear, per se, but rather it prevents the tranny from shifting to a gear HIGHER than that selected......

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I know what it does, but being that the tranny is electronically controlled and such, I would think that it would automatically go into 3rd instead of sitting at the rev limiter.....kinda like how it waits to go into 1st etc......

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i raced my Coupe by putting it in 2nd, it will shift into 2nd at a slightly higher RPM and shift alitte harder. it will not shift into 3rd, you have to bump it up to 3rd, then drive if you hit the red in 3rd. Try driving in 3rd sometime, kinda sporty fellin.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I noticed that when doing 50-55 if I floor it, she'll downshift into 3rd, but not 2nd..... when it either does go into 2nd or I manually do it, she pulls real hard.... nice.....

redline 3rd? I think 3rd is good till' 140, I doubt I'll be going that fast soon....

One thing I hate is my gear ratios, 1st is good to 45mph, 2nd is 90 or so (not sure though, never redlined 2nd) and 3rd I read was 140..... that is why the car isn't as quick as it should be (with the semi-low weight, good power and high tourqe)

Yeah, driving in 3rd does give it a much more responsive feel, kills your millage too..... want something fun, keep it in 2nd and do 55, you hit the gas it puts you in the seat.....even better, keep it in 1st around 35-40, you hit the gas you get a sudden rush forward, let off and a huge rush backkk, altough that isn't good, so I do not do it much more, but i should keep it in 3rd more around town then I do..... then it would be quicker to go into 2nd...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Plus it would prevent lockup to 4th and overdrive, and that would save some tranny life..... its a stretch I know, but simple things may get you some extra miles.......

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Night Wolf said:
..... I was just thinking..... let's say you go to the track, but when you race, put the shifter in 2, and leave it there....... it would redline, then shift to 2nd, but when it redlined (or a hair above it) it would automatically shift into 3rd....... then you would absolutly get the most performance from the car....

....but if the shifter is in 2nd, it will automatically go into 3rd and not just stay in 2nd and over rev the engine....right?
"Tiptronic" does exactly what you're referring to...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts