Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I turn them on and get the 'telltale' light saying they're on - but the seats don't heat up. What are the likely possibilities.. I'd like to make this an easy-to-find discussion when people do a search...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Okay. I turn them on and get the 'telltale' light saying they're on - but the seats don't heat up. What are the likely possibilities.. I'd like to make this an easy-to-find discussion when people do a search...

Thanks in advance...

Well, it's only 4 nuts to remove the seats... Maybe you can see if it's just as simple as they are unplugged? :confused:

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could they be unplugged? Would the light still go on if it's not plugged into the actual seat? I'm figuring Yes but I thought I'd ask.. It just seems like low-mileage for both seats to not be working.. So you may be right..

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Could they be unplugged? Would the light still go on if it's not plugged into the actual seat? I'm figuring Yes but I thought I'd ask.. It just seems like low-mileage for both seats to not be working.. So you may be right..
Well... My reasoning was this... It was a southern car. Probably didn't EVER use them. So maybe they were unplugged so as not to accidentally use them?

Them old people do wierd things... :D

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point... I'll definitely check this out as soon as I can. Hopefully this weekend.. There's no way to check this without removing the seats though. Right? That would be so nice. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Good point... I'll definitely check this out as soon as I can. Hopefully this weekend.. There's no way to check this without removing the seats though. Right? That would be so nice. :D
Well, you could try moving the seat all the way forward and all the way up. You may be able to go in from the back seat and look up...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal,
The seat heaters both work off the same (2) fuses. #17 (10amp) and #40 (15amp) in the I/P fuse box. If the 10amp is good but the 15amp is NOT, the LED indicator WILL light but the seats will NOT heat up. The 15amp fuse supplies the power for the seat heater module located under each seat (they're basically the thermostats for the seat heaters). I would start by checking BOTH fuses, then check under the seats for bad connections. I will assume the ground is good because both seats share the same ground and since the LED comes on, that should indicate that the ground is good.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I'm not THAT lucky today.. The fuses are fine.. I took a quick look beneath the seat and didn't see anything hanging, unplugged.. I'm guessing it'll be a more complicated fix...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sal I guarantee you its the seat pads. Theres a element mesh that heats up when the switch is on and its prolly worn out.

I was quoted $700 CDN to fix it (unstitch, replace element, restitch new seat with new leather)

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$700 Canadian.. Does that mean about $350 here? Or $1400? I forget...

The only reason I feel it's unlikely that they're worn out is that the car only has 60k and it's lived down South all its life. Florida... Heated seats worn out? Ya know?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
$700 Canadian.. Does that mean about $350 here? Or $1400? I forget...

The only reason I feel it's unlikely that they're worn out is that the car only has 60k and it's lived down South all its life. Florida... Heated seats worn out? Ya know?
More like 500.

Sal, all it takes is someone to sit on the seat with keys or a lot of change in their back pocket to put pressure on the thin element ot break it!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5 minutes to come on? It look my ETC like 20 seconds to start getting warm... Otherwise.. I guess both seats could have been sat in heavily and broken.. Would that be $500.00 for BOTH seats? Or each? And this includes new leather?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal,
It's not the pads. At least the chances are astronomical. There's (4) pads and you're gonna tell me that ALL 4 are bad? Probably not. You have 4 pads, 2 modules, and 1 switch, now think REAL hard. I'm sure a little troubleshooting can uncover the problem. I'll email you the schematic.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It actually felt like MY seat came on a TINY, TINY little bit last night on the way home. Tonight, I'll have my girlfriend turn her seat on and leave it on - and see what happens.. My ETC seats got very noticably hot..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
8 Participants
gabeval