Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, I know it's a very limited production car, but still, why aren't people looking into other avenues for performance?

Seeing as how this car uses an Eaton blower, why not contact some of the S/C'ed 3800 performance companies and see about making a modular pulley set-up? Those were the motors that came in the Grand Prix GTP's, Regal GS's, Bonneville SSEi's, etc.. I used to have an 04' Grand Prix GTP CompG, and with nothing more than a pulley swap from the stock 3.8" pulley to a 3.4" pulley(I document every mod for gains achieved), I picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph in the 1/4.

How about exhaust cutouts? The factory exhausts on these cars seem to be choked up, I mean, a S/C'ed V8 with that puny factory exhaust. Once again, referring back to my CompG, which has a similar exhaust to the caddy, just running a single 2-1/2" cutout, when it was open, netted me over a tenth and a mph in the 1/4. I would be willing to bet 2 tenths and 2 mph in these cars! And the nice thing about a cutout, you can open it and close it whenever you want. Have it closed for those nice, long roadtrips, and opened for the track, or for the intimidation factor at a stop light. :D I've had cutouts on all my vehicles dating back to 96'! lol I just don't see the point in dropping $1,000+ on a catback, when I can achieve the same sound with a muffler swap, and even more performance with a cheap cutout.....best of both worlds. ;)

Has anyone even tried building their own CAI's? The first part of the factory set-up would be easy to build, but once it gets to the y portion, it could be a lil tricky, but it could be done. I currently own a TrailBlazer SS, but built my own CAI, and have built several more for TBSS message board members.

How about tuning? Does HPTuners or EFI Live not work on these cars? What's the deal there? I know these cars are being limited by factory programming, just like all late model GM performance based vehicles. I mean, when I can pick up over 20 hp at the wheels with nothing more than a tune on a bone stock 2wd TrailBlazer SS w/6.0 LS2, I know these S/C'ed V's gotta be hurting!

Sorry guys, just venting a lil bit here, but also at the same time trying to get some answers to questions that have already been answered for all I know! lol I'll be picking up a V as soon as the gentleman gets his financing secured for my TBSS, and you can sure betcha that I will be testing all this stuff myself! Some of it may not work, or pan out for that matter, but I'm one of those people that have to be shown, not told. ;)

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Very limited production, you nailed it. The motor is / was only used in two cars, each had 1000-1500 cars produced each year for 3 model years and even between those two there are some differences like the air box. It's simply not worth most companies time and effort to produce things they'll only sell a "few" of.

However HP Tuners and EFI Live do write to the platforms.

Also I think it's important to note a lot of the first owners leased the cars and are not willing to put much into aftermarket performance on something they planned on turning back in. As these cars get purchased and warranty's expire (or get canceled) I think we'll see a little more ingenuity come around.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other vehicle was this motor used in, the XLR-V?

Anyways, I believe you're right about the lease thing. And to go further on that, I think a lot of the first owners of these cars, the ones who spent the pretty penny to get into them, are not so much concerned with modding them. There are probably only a select few people who will own these cars, and will look for ways to improve it performance wise.

That's a great relief to hear that HPTuners and EFI Live work on these cars. Looks like when I pick mine up, the first couple of things I will be working on are the CAI, cutout, and tune. Then, I will go to the pulley manufacturers for a modular pulley system so we can swap between different size pullies using no more than an allen head. :) Like the one seen here on my 04 CompG snout. I had the snout removed while doing some maintenance to the SC. The modular pulley system was made by Pulley Boys. :)

·
Registered
09 cts4 04 cts-v
258 Posts
ciws hit it right on the money my car was a leased car befor I picked it up also. I had a local shop make the first part of the intake out of 4inch borla makes a full exhaust and D3 has headers. Mallet does a package for the sts-v and xlr-v they change the cams do there intakes and exhaust but they only sell it as a 10K all said and done deal they will not sell peaces to the kit already called them up. As far as the blower goes go look at the pully and the blower snout thats on the sts-v there really isnt munch room to go with a smaller pully on this car. I also had a gtp a 01 and also did a 3.4 pully and full exhaust and the zzp tune the thing flew for what it was.

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
I mean, I know it's a very limited production car, but still, why aren't people looking into other avenues for performance?

Seeing as how this car uses an Eaton blower, why not contact some of the S/C'ed 3800 performance companies and see about making a modular pulley set-up? Those were the motors that came in the Grand Prix GTP's, Regal GS's, Bonneville SSEi's, etc.. I used to have an 04' Grand Prix GTP CompG, and with nothing more than a pulley swap from the stock 3.8" pulley to a 3.4" pulley(I document every mod for gains achieved), I picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph in the 1/4.

How about exhaust cutouts? The factory exhausts on these cars seem to be choked up, I mean, a S/C'ed V8 with that puny factory exhaust. Once again, referring back to my CompG, which has a similar exhaust to the caddy, just running a single 2-1/2" cutout, when it was open, netted me over a tenth and a mph in the 1/4. I would be willing to bet 2 tenths and 2 mph in these cars! And the nice thing about a cutout, you can open it and close it whenever you want. Have it closed for those nice, long roadtrips, and opened for the track, or for the intimidation factor at a stop light. :D I've had cutouts on all my vehicles dating back to 96'! lol I just don't see the point in dropping $1,000+ on a catback, when I can achieve the same sound with a muffler swap, and even more performance with a cheap cutout.....best of both worlds. ;)

Has anyone even tried building their own CAI's? The first part of the factory set-up would be easy to build, but once it gets to the y portion, it could be a lil tricky, but it could be done. I currently own a TrailBlazer SS, but built my own CAI, and have built several more for TBSS message board members.

How about tuning? Does HPTuners or EFI Live not work on these cars? What's the deal there? I know these cars are being limited by factory programming, just like all late model GM performance based vehicles. I mean, when I can pick up over 20 hp at the wheels with nothing more than a tune on a bone stock 2wd TrailBlazer SS w/6.0 LS2, I know these S/C'ed V's gotta be hurting!

Sorry guys, just venting a lil bit here, but also at the same time trying to get some answers to questions that have already been answered for all I know! lol I'll be picking up a V as soon as the gentleman gets his financing secured for my TBSS, and you can sure betcha that I will be testing all this stuff myself! Some of it may not work, or pan out for that matter, but I'm one of those people that have to be shown, not told. ;)

I think you should check out our website... www.d3cadillac.com

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
ciws hit it right on the money my car was a leased car befor I picked it up also. I had a local shop make the first part of the intake out of 4inch borla makes a full exhaust and D3 has headers. Mallet does a package for the sts-v and xlr-v they change the cams do there intakes and exhaust but they only sell it as a 10K all said and done deal they will not sell peaces to the kit already called them up. As far as the blower goes go look at the pully and the blower snout thats on the sts-v there really isnt munch room to go with a smaller pully on this car. I also had a gtp a 01 and also did a 3.4 pully and full exhaust and the zzp tune the thing flew for what it was.

you are correct in thinking that the upper pulley is already too small to begin with...belt wrap is the issue there.

We do however offer the Crank Pulley upgrade with interchangeable rings for different boost levels, although currently we are only offering the one size for an increase of about 3-4 psi at the top end...down low they increase about 5-6 due to the peak efficiency falling off at the top end.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you should check out our website... www.d3cadillac.com

Already have been. And not to take anything away from you guys, as I'm sure everyone here appreciates at least having SOME mods available to them, but I'm not willing to pay the premium that you guys sell things for just because you're the only ones that are offering aftermarket performance parts for the V's. I'll just stick with building my own. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
Already have been. And not to take anything away from you guys, as I'm sure everyone here appreciates at least having SOME mods available to them, but I'm not willing to pay the premium that you guys sell things for just because you're the only ones that are offering aftermarket performance parts for the V's. I'll just stick with building my own. :)

Hey, there is nothing wrong with that...thats how I started out on my own. If there is anything I can assist you with just shoot me a PM

·
Registered
STS-V
79 Posts
The blower is an Eaton-GM M122H flipped upside down.. Its too bad, as the Shelby GT500 has a direct swap TVS blower.. as in.. they look identical. It could be within our reach to put a TVS on and crank up the boost.. First I think we have to tackle the stock sc and its itty bitty pulley. I wouldn't want to be overdriving anything except the blower. not even the slightest bit.

I have tuned mine with HPT.. only minor tweaks.. The TCS settings do not like to be touched.. just fyi. The strangest thing is the airbox, and the lack of aftermarket filter.. And then.. theres a second, smaller filter in the box.. looks like a cabin air filter.. What is the diameter of the Y pipe inlet (air intake)?

I'll definately be modding it here and there. Nothing too experimental, but I'm always willing to take stuff apart.. :bouncy:

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, there is nothing wrong with that...thats how I started out on my own. If there is anything I can assist you with just shoot me a PM

Wow.....I gotta admit, I didn't expect that response! I guess I just haven't been here long enough to know what kinda person you are, but that reply told me everything I needed to know. I will DEFINITELY be calling you with some questions when I pick up my V! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
Wow.....I gotta admit, I didn't expect that response! I guess I just haven't been here long enough to know what kinda person you are, but that reply told me everything I needed to know. I will DEFINITELY be calling you with some questions when I pick up my V! :thumbsup:
No problem :)

·
Registered
2014 AWD 2.0 Obsession Red --Black 2007 STS-V
133 Posts
you are correct in thinking that the upper pulley is already too small to begin with...belt wrap is the issue there.

We do however offer the Crank Pulley upgrade with interchangeable rings for different boost levels, although currently we are only offering the one size for an increase of about 3-4 psi at the top end...down low they increase about 5-6 due to the peak efficiency falling off at the top end.
Can you post a link to the Pulleys, I've looked and can't seem to find them.:bouncy:

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
How much is your time worth? I love fabbing up stuff, but for me and presumably most people here it is not worth reinventing the wheel even at the higher price. D3has been the only company to really step up and put in the hundreds of hours required to fab up these parts, produce them, and distribute them. They need to get paid for the work and I am fine with that.

As far as the blower goes, unfortunately keeping up with a V2 motor that is 40% larger displacement can get dangerous at 4.4L. The car already runs higher boost than the Shelby and I would argue that Ford's internals for Cobra's the past few years have been all around higher quality than GM's.

·
Registered
2014 AWD 2.0 Obsession Red --Black 2007 STS-V
133 Posts
As far as the blower goes, unfortunately keeping up with a V2 motor that is 40% larger displacement can get dangerous at 4.4L. The car already runs higher boost than the Shelby and I would argue that Ford's internals for Cobra's the past few years have been all around higher quality than GM's.
:thehand:
I've had three of the 1989 Turbo Trans Am's over the last 20 years, these cars run 16lbs of boost without even going to forged pistons... both the Trans am and 86-87 Buick Grand National Guys have been pushing the stock longblocks to over 20lbs since day one, some of these cars have over 100,000 miles without a problem.

Now if someone would please direct me to the Pulley being talked about earlier in the thread. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
:thehand:
I've had three of the 1989 Turbo Trans Am's over the last 20 years, these cars run 16lbs of boost without even going to forged pistons... both the Trans am and 86-87 Buick Grand National Guys have been pushing the stock longblocks to over 20lbs since day one, some of these cars have over 100,000 miles without a problem.

Now if someone would please direct me to the Pulley being talked about earlier in the thread. :thumbsup:
20lbs of boost on a stock longblock. If you read this post without context you would think it was the norm. :) I've never met a single person that has run 100k on a car with 20lbs of boost. That is great that you have, so if anyone here thinks that is a good idea they should go for it.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
20lbs of boost on a stock longblock. If you read this post without context you would think it was the norm. :) I've never met a single person that has run 100k on a car with 20lbs of boost. That is great that you have, so if anyone here thinks that is a good idea they should go for it.

The fact that you don't want to do your own work, and would rather pay someone else to do it for you tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you. :) No offense though. ;)

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
The fact that you don't want to do your own work, and would rather pay someone else to do it for you tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you. :) No offense though. ;)
None taken. Again, good to have context here. Let's just say I've got enough builds under my belt to be smart about modding. If you have the time to reinvent the wheel on very basic performance mods for the STS-V then have at it. I'd much rather spend time on my other projects. Time is money.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts