Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 D.I. Hot Lava Edition, 2016 CTS-V
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the title says it all. Anyways went to wash my car today. It is one of those places where you can wash it yourself or they have one of the automatic machines. So I start off washing it myself (washing the parts that are really dirty rims tires etc the whole car basically.) and then finish and I decided to put it through the automatic wash (mainly just for the automatic drying purpose.) There was no dry only option even though there definitely should be. so there was spinning brushes (I can't think of the proper name right now for some reason) going around the car.

I keep small microfiber towels in my car and after a wash I clean off my rims (break dust FE2 AWD). I go do this and what do I see. A huge scratch across my right front rim as well as a smaller scratch above this :banghead::banghead::banghead::bomb:

needless to say this ruined my whole day. I am mad at myself more then anything because I was lazy to dry it myself. And to make matters worse it doesn't even look that clean at all! :banghead:

I took a pic from my cell phone. Sorry for the bad pic and poor quality, but there's really no good pic that could be taken of this either way.

I pretty much know the answer to the question I am about to ask but I will ask it anyway. Is there anything that could be done to repair this besides the obvious? (replacement) Sorry for the long post! Take the extra time and wash it yourselves guys! Thanks.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Contact the owner of the car wash and show him the damage. He may or may not pay you, but he'll definetly fix the problem so it doesn't happen to other people.

If he starts to play hardball, take him to small claims court or have your lawyer give him a call.

I occasionally use one of those "touchless" ones on my car, it does a pretty good job if you dry it yourself afterwards.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course nobody was around and they also had signs saying they are not responsible for damage to vehicles.... I highly doubt they will do anything about it.

·
Registered
2008 CTS DI RWD
42 Posts
Good luck with getting it replaced, that might end up being quite the crap-shoot. Had a similar situation with my previous car, so I also learned the hard way about those places.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
of course nobody was around and they also had signs saying they are not responsible for damage to vehicles.... I highly doubt they will do anything about it.
When the business owners point to that sign, I always feel I need to create a sign (and keep it in the car) that says:

"Anyone, or any company, or any company equipment that damages my car is liable."

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Ouch, that looks like a good size gouge. If there is any light in this; at least it wasn't your fender. Myself, I would go to ebay and buy a used wheel, they are a lot cheaper than my collision deductible.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1,059 Posts
the dealer where you bought the car has a mobile guy that fixes stock painted wheels. Every dealer does. $100.00 and your done.

·
Registered
2008 cts
15 Posts
I had a gouge in awheel that was almost identical to yours. I think it occurred in a car wash, but I.m not sure. Anyway, I took the car into the dealer for another problem, and the service writer asked what had happened to the wheel. I told him I really didn't know but I was going toneed a new wheel. His answer was " we can warranty that" which they did. Took about two weeks and I had a new wheel, tire mount and balance at no charge,

Talk to your dealer - can't hurt

·
Registered
08 CTS
176 Posts
Had a gouge in my wheel that was a bit worst than yours. The dealership has a wheel man that comes by once a week and he fixed my wheel so well that it's nearly impossible to see where the work was did . I have the 18 inch polished rims. Paid for by the dealer. I beleive that your would also have a man and they do good work.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
the dealer where you bought the car has a mobile guy that fixes stock painted wheels. Every dealer does. $100.00 and your done.
I agree. Most dealers have a guy that's capable of these type repairs.

If you don't have any luck, take a look at this place.
http://www.kwicksilverusa.com

Click on their Gallery Slideshow. There are before and after pic's of several damaged wheels, some almost identical to yours.

Don't have any info about their cost. Just passing along other options.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back to the car wash today and spoke with the manager and got the typical it didn't happen here deal. I wasn't expecting anything else. He tried to polish it out himself but to no luck and then told me to pull into the wash to see where it could have happened. I have no doubt about it that it happened in there because I know when I sprayed the tires and rims first by myself there was nothing wrong. I would have definitely noticed that. I guess it could have been worse if it would have scratched the whole side of my car. I am lucky it was just the rim. This is one of those live and learn deals, I will not be using automatic car washes no more.

Anyway I went to autozone afterwards and picked up some Eagle One Nano Wheel Polish with Anticorrosion, I will try applying a little bit to see if it may lighten it up and make it less noticeable (to me at least). If you'd like I'll keep you posted how the polish works. Thank you guys for replying and for your help, if this does not help I will try one of those wheel repair sites that some of you posted or my dealer. And for guys with aftermarket wheels you have my complete respect. I don't know how you guys do it, I definitely could not handle that. Thanks again

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
A good wheel shop should be able to restore that wheel to looking new for under $75.

Only use touchless whenever I resort to automatic car washes - for reasons that are obvious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts