Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been driving on some muddy roads with my car, and have found a lot of issues popping up.

First, I guess a part of the bottom molding was broken off of my car from the mud (rear passenger by the wheel well), that pisses me off, but oh well. Also, the pump that lifts the car has started making congested noises and so I am not sure how to resolve that. Also, there is mud in the cooling fans, on the radiator fins etc, so I need to wash that out, but is there anything I need to worry about when I wash that? I was reading a few horror stories so I don't want to have any more issues than what I have.

Also, this may or may not be related, but I noticed it has gotten worse with the mud, when I press on the brake pedal, the wheels wobble. It was a slight wobble before, but this is a ... shaken car now... How would I go about fixing that?

Also, I know this is pathetic, but I did my own oil change a week ago and am proud of my self.

I appreciate any replies.

·
Registered
2004 Seville SLS
435 Posts
buy a Subaru.

not sure about much but i do know from off roading jeeps in the past when you get mud caked in your wheels they wobble, have you hosed out your wheels? same goes for caking on your drive axles. i dunno how this would effect a caddy as i try to avoid mud with mine.

also congrats on the oil change, i haven't tried and probably wont on mine yet.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
The oil/filter change is probably easier to do on the STS/SLS than any other car on earth. 7.5 quarts of your favorite oil in the GM recommended viscosity and a WIX filter from NAPA. Piece of cake and a no-brainer.

Mud, if caked in the wheels/calipers is death on brakes. Mud, if caked up in the radiator, condenser, and fan area, as well as the serpentine belt area, is death on engines.

Time for some judicious work with (bite my tongue) a small pressure washer.

You can buy a small pickup truck for the $$$ it will cost you to fix extensive Cadillac body/engine damage from abuse.

·
Administrator
71,064 Posts
Yeah - don't take the "abuse" thing wrong - We live a half mile down a dirt and gravel road, so I know exactly where you're coming from hence the Ford 4x4 - with mud flaps ^^^^ !!

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
The mud was not intentional. I live out on dirt roads now.
For the last 10 years I've been stuck driving down a dirt road for 3 months out of the year, I've never had any ill-effects from it other than having to wash it more often and making sure I do an under carriage wash at least once a week.

I bought mud flaps and they help but not enough. if your mud cracked anything then you must have hit a big arse rock that got kicked up. I've never had anything crack from mud.

Our friends have a subaru that is possibly the same year as my Seville or newer, and it is in worse shape than either of my two cars from the same road. just my thoughts on the subi's.

·
Registered
98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I dunno if you guys follow the weather in ND, but in the Beginning of June, we had a few inches of snow... After that crap hit, the roads were horrid... Driving 25 mph would cause the stability control to kick in, because the roads were soooooooo loose and sloppy. It rained, then it snowed, then it rained and rained and rained... Everything was sooo loose. I opened the hood and I had a spray of mud on the liner of the hood, and the fans all have mud in them, and the wheels had mud in them but then I washed the car, so part of the mud came out which made everything unbalanced, but I cleaned everything out from that. Now I just have this vibration issue when I brake, the cooling system could use a rinse again, and the pump sounding congested. I'd have to say that after all that snow and water, we had to drive through at least 4" of mud.

·
Administrator
71,064 Posts
:eek: Now I know why less people live in North Dakota than in Queen Anne's County, MD. When I went ice fishing in Baudette, MN a couple of years ago (14 below 0, high for the week......) I learned that the high point of that week was to drive 4 hours West to a shopping area in Fargo, ND.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts