Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on ebay to get a new hood ornament, and man, there are so many different ones. Different sizes, and even different styles. Which one will fit on my 92 deville (was it just for the deville, and if so, which years are the same)? Also, what are the other ones; I see a pretty big one, a middle one, and a small one. Can someone give me a little "hood ornament 101" for Caddies. Im also kind of curious as to which ornaments the different models used through the years

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
the way the ount is differnt.... I would stick to getting one from a '91-'93 DeVille/fleetwood/60 etc....

'88-'90 MAY work, not sure though....

..... but just make sure it is one for your model....

...JFYI, you can get a new (silver) one for $35 and a new (gold) one for $145..... although if you wanted gold, you can find them used alot cheaper, but you can't beat the new silver one... it'll shine real nice too.....

...since it is soo cheap, I was thinking about putting one on my car and saving the 24k gold I have on the hood, since it is brand new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it the broughmas had the big one than; did the sevilles/eldo have the same size ornament? I saw one huge one (probably the brougham), one medium one (probably the deville), and a small one (which I really want to know what model it came from). Just out of curiosity, did the 93-96 broughams have the same ornament as the brougham it replaced?

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
I can't help you too much... my mothers '89 Brougham uses a bigger one (IIRC) but the mounting is differnt, more of a rectangle shape then round...

....either way, here is my brand new gold hood ornament.... I am thinking about getting a new silver one just to through on there, since I always worry about someone stealing it... but I want to try the horn trick.

this, the trunk lock thingy, and the 4.9 V8 emblem are all new.... I guess some kids stole them from my car and stole things from other cars at the dealership we bought the car from....the priced was advertised as $4450 obo, but he was pretty set on the price (despite the obo) so we asked if he would be able to repalce all the badges and stuff that was stolen, with new factory gold ones, he said yes, so he got his $4450 and I got my new ornimates (like $350 in stuff though)

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Ralph said:
The hood ornament design was the same from 1966 to 1999 (including).

Get yourself to the dealership and see if it's not too late to get the collectable set of hood ornament pins encased in a frame behind glass! Every hood ornament pin from 1902+.
yes but the sizes and esp. mounting design were totally differnt

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant believe noone knows this. Is there a web-site or something. Id like to see the sizes and looks of all the different caddy years and models, not to mention find the correct one for my car (for some reason I have a hunch the seville and eldo's had a different one). Someone has gotta be able to steer me in the right direction!

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
I cant believe noone knows this. Is there a web-site or something. Id like to see the sizes and looks of all the different caddy years and models, not to mention find the correct one for my car (for some reason I have a hunch the seville and eldo's had a different one). Someone has gotta be able to steer me in the right direction!

I repeat, the ornament DID NOT change from 1966-1999. Night Wolf's hood ornament should be the one used for your car, and all other models from that time period. There were 10 different hood ornaments since 1902, and as far as I know, each different model used the same one from that time period. That's why I suggest buying (or looking at) the complete set you can get from a Caddy dealer. Around 30 bucks I believe. If I am incorrect in any way, someone please correct me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am almost positive the brougham has a bigger hood ornament. Also, I believe the late 90's cads had a "smoother" wreath design. Yes, the design is the same, but the sizes are different Im pretty sure, and there are subtle differences in some of them. what is this set from the caddy dealer you are talking about? Im not sure what you mean, but it sounds interesting

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
I am almost positive the brougham has a bigger hood ornament. Also, I believe the late 90's cads had a "smoother" wreath design. Yes, the design is the same, but the sizes are different Im pretty sure, and there are subtle differences in some of them. what is this set from the caddy dealer you are talking about? Im not sure what you mean, but it sounds interesting
I wish I could describe them better, it's like a picture frame about 8 by 10, each "pin" is a small replica of an actual Cadillac hood ornament used by the car company. 10 in all. Like you can stick 'em on a hat or whatever. They came out last year for the Cadillac 100th Anniversary, and I'm sure you could prob. still get them. Someone posted a pic of the set once, try "archives" under "Cadillac Pins?"

Dang, I wish I had a newer computer with a usb port!! :disappoin and digital camera! :annoyed:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Ralph said:
I repeat, the ornament DID NOT change from 1966-1999. Night Wolf's hood ornament should be the one used for your car, and all other models from that time period. There were 10 different hood ornaments since 1902, and as far as I know, each different model used the same one from that time period. That's why I suggest buying (or looking at) the complete set you can get from a Caddy dealer. Around 30 bucks I believe. If I am incorrect in any way, someone please correct me.
They did change. Up until the front wheel drive ones some of the DeVilles didn't have a wreath around the crests. Some of the 70s ones had a different one. Some from around 1967 to 1976 didn't have a hood ornament at all and just had an emblem on the front of the hood. In the 80s the FWD ones used the same design itself as the RWD ones but the hood ornaments themselves were different.

The one that Night Wolf has is the same one for yours.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
look, why does it matter what ornament was on ehat car? if yours is missing, and you have a '92 DeVille, then get one form a '91-'93 DeVille *same car) you KNOW it will fit and it WILL be the "correct" size.... who cares if in 1967 it was 1/4" taller and all....

....and like I said... the way they mount is differnt, the '91-'93 DeVille has a circular mounting base, while the 80's Broughams are more rectagnle... if you would like, I will take a picture of the hood ornament on our Brougham tomorrow when it is light out and compare the 2, I will even tape a quarter to the front of it for size comparison for you, if you would like.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the reason I ask is because on ebaty, most of them say "not sure what car it came from", so I just want to be sure

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Kinda tricky on ebay....bought one that said it was for a fleetwood, but had a deceiving picture on the listing so the base looked round, but ended up being square. Seller did not know the year, so yea, ive got an entire set from a fleetwood BROUGHAM, not a FWD fleetwood. Your worries about ebay hood ornaments are warrented.
Jacob Hoppe

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Saw a beatiful Coupe Deville the other day..gold package...or at least it used to have the gold package. Only tag gold on it was the 4.9 badge on the back. It was very depressing. Then I looked at mine still all on the car and was happy again! Except for the part about one of my center caps being stolen :mad: :mad: It's all good though...found a replacement on ebay for 20. :) :)

·
Registered
11,009 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
get your VIN number and go to your local caddy dealer, they will be able to tell you which ornament came on the car from the factory. then they will try to charge you like 50$ for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
Crovax Z26