Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!!! This seems like Quite a Nice Site with Very Knowledgable people,.. and they Own Cadillacs! I just purchased a Brand New (to me) 2002 STS in Great Condition with Everything cept the Moon Roof. Why someone wouldnt Order That TOO is almost Unimaginable. It's a BANGIN CAR and Clean throughout!!! Yes my Daily Runner was the 1984 MOTOR TREND Car of the Year, the Honda CRX, Which, is an Awesome Car in it's Own Rite and Still gets 40mpg at 80mph,.. but I Upgraded to the BOSE System : ) and cant Imagine why someone would go Afermarket from this system Either. I Am having a problem with Rear End Instability (Big Time), back end Really want's to catch the front while Cornering, Especially if the Road is uneven or Bumpy,.. BUT, I'm sure Someone here could direct Me to Right Forum. Thanks for the great Site and Happy Trails,.. Mine just got VERY HAPPY!!! Dee

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new car. For any problems you're having you need to post in the Seville/Eldo section to get help, this is just the general section. Read the sticky on the top of the page in the Seville section about how to pull trouble codes as those will be needed to help diagnose any problems. Also if you haven't already look up the RPO codes for the car you should do that to see what factory options it came with, especially so you can determine if you have the CVRSS suspension or the better MagneRide suspension.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Hey welcome to the site and congrats on the new purchase! Take a little time to browse the site and read up on some general maintnance. Lots of good people here with tons of knowledge and experience. Judging from your symptoms, you probably have CVRSS. Those magne-rides keep you rooted to the ground! Im actually considering shopping for a 03 STS with nav just so I can get magne-ride. I can hear all my buddies saying, so you traded your car in for the same car?:hmm:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,116 Posts
F55, Magnetic Ride Control, came in during January of '02, the last half of the year run. The build date is on the driver's door sticker, the engine limiter speed rating is determined by the tire rating (T = 105, S = 112, H = 130, Z/W = 150+) on the same door stickers, and the RPO's are on the bottom of the spare tire cover.

If you want to understand all the magnetic talk, Google "magnetic rheological suspension" , "magnetic rheological fluid" , or "magnetic rheological ride control" and get to the Lord sites.

You may actually be very happy the car does not have a sunroof. :sneaky:

Read the sticky thread titled "How to pull codes" at the top of the main Seville page and learn how to use your built-in code reader to tell you what the car is experiencing. You want the link with ".........OBD-II" in the address. You may find some sort of suspension fault code - DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code. (Learn all the acronyms - they're used a lot in here........)

Welcome Aboard !!!!!!!:welcome:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Info! I actually have traced much of this info and got many of my of the ideas From This Site before I Purchaced. Have a OBDII reader at work and itshows NO Trouble codes, which is strange in it's Own rite. BUT, since I have been spending MOST Of my Spare time to this point Driving this Bullet, I have not ran the VIN numbers or anything much cept Polishing and Fluids!!! You guys are Great and I Will be Visiting Often after... Where Are My Keys?!?!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's Early in the morning but I went and checked my Info and I have a H tire rating and "F55" on the Cover. Posted question in Tech Section and have helms Manuals On the Way,.. now on to step "C"! Thank

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
No need for a code reader and sometimes they cause more issues. Go back to the sticky and learn how to pull codes from the DTC. Congratulations on the F55 code find, though your issues you're having seem odd for that suspension, its a very robust and dependable system so I'm curious to see what codes are shown when you pull through the in car system.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup,.. in a Parked, static position, you push down on the Trunk and it Bounces like it's siting on Just Springs!!!

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Hmmm im curious to see how much replacement magne-ride shocks will cost. I know others have said they cost less than OEM CVRSS replacements but i've never heard of anybody having to replace them.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plugged in our new Novvus 3031 OBD2 code reader and NO CODES. Fed, Gen, and Factory Specific codes are Clear and History is Clear As well. And in Run mode, all onboard systems read OK. Down loaded a factory parts list and the rear Shocks are $705 and $706 per shock,.. why theres a dollar difference Only my Factory knows for sure, but I'm sure theres Cheaper Sources. Once I get my Helms Service Manuals I can get more indepth schematics of what I,m Dealing with. No Matter What the Outcome, This is an Awesome Vehicle,.. and how much did I Pay? Well less than 10cents on the Dollar.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Hate to barge in but since I own one thought I'd point out that the CotY in 1984 is the Corvette. The CRX is the Import car of the year! But when you consider the STS won CotY in 92, I'd say yes, it's a worthy successor and probably would be considered an upgrade by all but the real small-car fanatics. Enjoy it!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And Now you see why I Mentioned my CRX as MT car of the Year, I was Waiting for That! Yes, the Import car of the year. It Fits my 6-3 Frame Well, and Does get 40mpg at 80mph,.. Vette wont do That! : ) Worked in Issaquah and drove 70+ miles round Trip and hit Triple Digits on I-90 Several times a Week, and I Wasnt Alone! My BEST Time from Mountlake Terrace to Issaquah was 23minutes,.. And I Will Denie That In Court!!! And I've had it to 120 with 1 passenger and my Pyreness,.. not bad for a Car thats Smaller than this Caddys Trunk!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,116 Posts
You didn't need an aftermarket code reader. It's already built into the car.

If you're a real fanatic, take a look at www.scangauge.com.

Do a BUNCH of homework in here pertaining to pulling and clearing DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

Test the rear suspension and level control compressor: Does the compressor (RR fenderwell area) run for 4 seconds shortly after Engine Start? If so, start the car and pop the trunk. let the compressor "prove out" (the start sequence), and you and a friend or two sit on the trunk lip. Does the compressor run and level the rear (the STS carries a slight rake - front an inch or so lower than the rear). If so, everybody hop off. Do you hear air escaping in the RR fenderwell as the level system vents off and again levels the rear ? If this sequence doesn't work, you have problems with the compressor, filter/drier, exhaust valve, air lines, and/or shocks themselves. The entire system must work for the shocks to do their job, and the compressor is known for moisture intrusion from a clogged filter/drier (part of the unit) caused by heat of compression. The unit is up inside the RR fenderwell liner.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have determaned that the Leveling pump is not decompressing of its own accord. I put a couple of Tool boxes in the trunk for weight as I drove, and though it was A Bit Smoother, I could tell the pump was Keeping Pressure which is leading to the Bounce. Nothing like Talkig to People that Own the same Car! I know what I'm rebuilding 2morow!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts