Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I had my day off of work, and decided it was time to pull the trigger on this Mercedes deal...........and drive a few six cylinder S Classes!

There are two in my area, a black/black '98 S320 SWB. 76,000 miles, new tires, new brakes, etc etc. This one was in pretty decent shape, but had a few little issues....like the glovebox wouldn't open, and the rear driver's side in door ashtray wouldn't open. Other than that, it was ok...one small indentation on the passenger side C-pillar. I drove it and the 3.2 I-6 made pretty good power actually, more than adequate. I drove it, liked the S-320s, didn't like that particular example so much...not a big fan of the black interior, felt small, and I want a LWB, not the SWB, as it does make a rather large difference in the amount of rear seat legroom.

After that, I went to go look at the Maserati dealer next door, saw some awesome cars inside there (used Ferraris too), then I left to go get some lunch. Lucky for me, I knew there was a Schlotzkys in the area, so I mapquested it and went there, because I think Schlotzkys makes the finest sandwiches in the world, and I haven't been to one since February, so I was wayyyy overdue. I went there and it was all I remembered it was. Delecious, thinly sliced meats, melted cheese upon the best bread used by a sandwich shop...it's so light and fluffy!

After the Schlotzky's mouthgasm, I went and test drove this second S320. This one was a 1999 S320 LWB. 72k miles, Beige/Beige, very good condition. They wanted $12,995 for it, and I'll offer $12,500 once financing is approved. I want this car. I didn't notice any real difference between the SWB and LWB in the way they drive and handle. I must say these handle beautifiully...I got on an offramp and I could do it 10-15 mph faster than I could 15 minutes before in my deVille...felt very very composed, almost no body roll, made me feel very confident.

Anyways, this car, out of 10, would probably get a solid 8.75 in the "how nice is it, compared to new" scale. It's very nice, but it's got a few minor issues with it...one 2"x2" scuff on the front right corner, and one on the right tail light, and it's missing a plastic piece above the inside rearview mirror, and the cupholder doesn't stay down, but if you carefully put it down, and put the center console cover down over it, it'll stay down.

This is the one I intend on buying. I've driven the newer Sevilles, like suggested in the other thread of mine, and they're quite nice, but not the same as the W140. Like I said earlier, there are two Eldorados in my area from dealers, and they're $10,000 more than this W140, and there's one Concours in my area, but it's silver, and I don't like silver cars.

So all I gotta do now is turn in my loan application to the bank Monday morning and see if I'm approved and go from there. Good luck to me!

I just KBB'd the vehicle, and in good condition, the value is $17,700. I'm getting a great deal, even if I pay full asking price and don't get those minor interior issues resolved.

Billboard on back of bus from the corporation I work for.

Allante I saw at the dealer I found the black S320 at. Note the two C6 Z06's parked next to it.

I love these taillights.

Black S320 I drove...eh.

S63 AMG. Hawt.

Four Door. Gorgeous!

Inside the Maserati showroom.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
360 Modena

Interior of a Quattoporte.

I'm gonna eat you.

F355.

I have found mecca.

Ever heard of Carlson Wagonlit travel? This is their headquarters.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is for you Tim. To offset the anger you're feeling by my "benz betrayal"

Ah yes, here she is.

I took these pics in a very, very nice neighborhood. Right on Lake Minnetonka (big lake in richest city in the Twin Cities...these houses are all well over $1,000,000.

Smug smile. I rock. This car rocks. Schlotzkys' rocks.

Centers of the wheels are peeling. The other S320 had this too.

The trunklid wasn't sitting quite flush.

0-40 WOT run...well it's really 20-40, but whatever. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Congrats!. Looks killer in that color!. Mine had the exact same color interior, loved it!. Told you the S320 wasn't as bad as some make it out to be speed-wise. Glad you are buying a LWB, just doesn't look right as a SWB. The LWB definately looks more stately. How many miles?. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

BTW: You can buy a much nicer, different style center caps on ebay for like $30

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, which I very well may be, this beige one has no licence plates, which would mean I'd have to buy new ones for $40....or get vanity plates for $100! I'll splurge and get vanitys, as I've always wanted those.

Possible choices for them:
ILC8792
CHADLAC
W140NUT
W140
OASIS (after the best band from the '90s)
XANADU
CYGNUS
RAWSON
KASHMIR
BACON8R :chad:
CHAD
THECHAD
BENZBOY
------BORN2RN------- ( I love running and it's one of the greatest albums ever)

It's got 72k miles on it, and when I start the car up, a little wrench logo comes up where the odometer usually is, and it says -5xxx and that blinks. What's that mean? I thought it meant it's 5000 miles over it's schedeuled maintenance interval. And another question...on both cars, the oil guage stays at 3, and never moves. Is that normal? I read about it in the owner's manual and it only said if it gets to "0" when it's running, you have a problem. It didn't say anything else.

This car is a one owner out of Naples Florida, exceptionally clean and rust free. Now I haven't bought this car yet, but if I get the loan (which I see no reason why I shouldn't, I have a credit score somewhere between 660 and 700), this'll be the car I buy provided it hasn't already sold.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Thanks for the turbo Dodge pics. Like ive said before, that style S-Class is the only Mercedes i like. So if you have to get one, i guess thats the one.

GET THE BACON8R PLATE!!! If you dont, i will.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D

·
0 Posts
It's got 72k miles on it, and when I start the car up, a little wrench logo comes up where the odometer usually is, and it says -5xxx and that blinks. What's that mean?
Mine never did that, I have no idea.
And another question...on both cars, the oil guage stays at 3, and never moves. Is that normal?
Does it move when the car is off and key is out?. I believe mine had some fluctuation, make sure you get the car inspected and run a carfax before you seal the deal :highfive:.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Man that thing is farking GORGEOUS, in this case I prefer the gold to the black, it just looks so much bigger in addition to being LWB.

You would be correct in that the wrench indicates its due for service. However, you need to check to see whether the numbers after the - go UP or DOWN. If the numbers are going DOWN it means its not due until 5xxx miles, if they are going UP it means its PAST the inspection. If thats the case, its possible that they just had the oil changes and other servicings done at an independent shop or quick lube place.

Carfax usually shows servicework at major dealers (it did on my Range Rover, thanks 99estees) and this can be a goldmine in determining how it was maintained. This is the *one* time I will ever give Carfax any props, and that is for their listing of service work. How they find this out is beyond me unless this information is reported to a central repository somewhere, or they are literally tied in with each brand's service network.

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
Sweet looin ride Chad! I hope you get it. I have always loved the stately look of those years. Don't think you'll have any more problem gettin a race!

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
The wrench does mean service interval. It can be reset, all the instructions are in the owners manual on how to do so.

That color is called Smoke Silver. A very nice color!

Now all you need is a set of 18 inch AMG monoblock wheels, Remus exhaust, and you will be golden!

It actually sounds pretty mean for a inline 6 in that video.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL! "This is the fastest Anne Hathaway's cottage has ever been!"

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Sweet car, huge legroom in the back.
I love the style, prestige, and stability of Germany's best.

Will you keep the Deville as a winter car, or sell it privately.
Any issues getting a decent interest rate for an 8 year old car?

1 - 20 of 190 Posts