Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 CTS-V, '64 Corvair Monza
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I want to start working towards another Cadillac, however, after owning the V, I have decided that I am no longer able to operate an automatic transmission, and thus, my option are either to go all the way back to 1940 & prior, or... the unmentionable.

When I started looking just for fun around ebay at manual Cadillacs, I was surprised they continued somewhat into the 40's, but there is not very much information surrounding that. I was wondering what you all knew about manuals in Cadillacs, IE, when were automatics introduced to the line, and was manual phased out over a period or just cut, as it seems to have been, and also what a good example of a manual Cadillac is to strive towards.

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
Solution: Cimarron.

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
I was surprised they continued somewhat into the 40's, but there is not very much information surrounding that. I was wondering what you all knew about manuals in Cadillacs, IE, when were automatics introduced to the line, and was manual phased out over a period or just cut, as it seems to have been, and also what a good example of a manual Cadillac is to strive towards.
The GM HydraMatic was offered in cars just before the war for 1940 models. First Oldsmobile, then the next year Cadillac. Didn't really come into its own until post-war models, though. The standard column shift manual was still base equipment on Cad until the 1952 model year, when the auto became standard equipment on all Cadillacs until the Cimarron.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
I have decided I want to start working towards another Cadillac, however, after owning the V, I have decided that I am no longer able to operate an automatic transmission, and thus, my option are either to go all the way back to 1940 & prior, or... the unmentionable.
:hmm: This IS a joke, right?

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,028 Posts
Hey now, going from P all the way through N, finally to land on D is quite the endeavor. Having to go to the dreaded R prior to this task, all while doing absolutely nothing with your left foot, makes this arduous journey all the more challenging.

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
Yes, he tells people this at Autozone and they are dumb enough to buy into it.

Matt, if one of your options is to buy a pre-1940's Cadillac it implies you have the opportunity to. Should this be the case, DO IT.

Also, you could buy a non-Cadillac.

Also, where are you going to park this one? I mean, you have room (lucky bastard) but you'll be playing tetris just backing out of the driveway.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I know what you mean by those confounding automatic transmissions .... I'm still working on power brakes and that dang power steering! They just don't build 'em like they used too!

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,028 Posts
Power steering is for nancy boys. Power brakes?! Whats the matter, nancy boy? Stomp on that pedal like you mean it!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Looks like you're stuck in CTSville.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,750 Posts
My suggestion still stands (and so far, wins).

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,416 Posts
A Roadmaster of any sort would satisfy a V owner the way my Saab would satisfy a Porsche 911 owner.

[Not at all.]

But since this whole thread is just a theoretical exercise, get a Cadillac Sixteen body, a ZR1 engine, and a manual with the slickness of a Mazda RX8 and you'd have magic.

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
The key here is that it's a 6 speed manual (T56). So a T56 fleetwood would satisfy the requirements.

A Roadmaster of any sort would satisfy a V owner the way my Saab would satisfy a Porsche 911 owner.

[Not at all.]

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.