Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a V owner for about 4weeks now and it's one of the best cars I've had overall.
So here's the scoop, I normally don't drag race and actually this was my first time ever ON a drag strip with any car. Anyway I'm working in upstate NY which is 3+ hrs away from home and the family so to pass time during the week I've been going down to the local drag strip on wednesdays. The last couple times I watched a few average cars running decent times so it gave me the itch, plus my brother being an avid Mustang'r has been talking up a shit storm about killing the V with his mostly Stock 1990 GT.

That said I ran my V. My first pass was a 13.65 @ 105.1, second pass I got the old red light, and my last pass was slower @ 14.28 - 102.3 mph.

Overall I drove away some what pleased although I would've rather been alittle more consistant.

Btw, here's my specs:
04 V, 41K miles.
Volant Intake (came on the car)
B&B Cat-back (bought it here in the classifieds 2 weeks ago)
otherwise Stock

-John

Attachments

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
Not a bad first-ever run. What went wrong on that third try?

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
my 1st time down the track with the v with no burnout and no launch i went 13.7 @107 with corsa catback

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
296 Posts
My 87 GN would spank a mostly stock 90 gt. He better get to work if he thinks he's gonna outrun the V. A friend of mine from work has a new GT and we played around a little bit. He needs to get to work too!

·
Registered
CTS-V
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really sure. My reaction time was .363, 60' @ 2.4s and 102.3mph on the top. Seemed like I slowed down through the whole 1/4 on that last run.

Also these runs where all started with a full tank of gas and on the last run I had a buddy run shot gun.

Maybe the extra 180lbs???

-John

·
Registered
CTS-V
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Im not sure why I went slower on the last run. I had my best reaction time of .360 or so but my 60' was a 2.4ish. Also my trap speeds throughout were slower with a 1/4 mile MPH of 102. Here are my known varibles, I shifted at or just above 6000. I think the best is around 5500-5700rpm. And I also had a friend ride shot gun. Now, would the added 170lbs make that much of a difference?

Btw I went to the track on a 100% full gas tank, I had just filled it and it took 16.8 gallons! I wasn't planning on running the car.

I also felt like maybe I could've taken 3rd gear all the way to the finish but I'm not sure. What gear do you guys pull through at the top and what's your shift points.

Hey all in all I had fun and I didn't exactly let the V down, I tried rep'ing it as best as possible. I was affraid that my first pass would be a 14.8!

My brother knows the truth about his DD GT, he just likes jabbing at the family vette. He knows I can't hold a candle to his 91 Twin Turbo Stang...yet anyway!

-John

·
Registered
Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, Red 08 CTS4 for winter
475 Posts
Old rule of thumb at the track was each 100 lbs cost you a tenth.

I would not underestimate the old Stangs. I had one when I was 19 with a whopping 220 horsepower (87 GT, 5 spd). Changed out the rear for 4.10s, exhaust, a couple of tweaks, etc, and that sucker would run 13.5 @ 103 all day long (won a number of bracket races). I also had an 87 GN that would do 11.9 @ 124 MPH but that had a whole bunch more work (the old Kenne Bell stuff).

Hard to believe you can pick up something these days, right off the showroom floor that does 12 second runs. Gotta's love those new Vs. Anyway, I have learned to respect certain cars that can launch hard. Without the axle changes, the V has to be a babied a bit off the line costing you precious tenths. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
44 Posts
Well, Im not sure why I went slower on the last run. I had my best reaction time of .360 or so but my 60' was a 2.4ish. Also my trap speeds throughout were slower with a 1/4 mile MPH of 102. Here are my known varibles, I shifted at or just above 6000. I think the best is around 5500-5700rpm. And I also had a friend ride shot gun. Now, would the added 170lbs make that much of a difference?

Btw I went to the track on a 100% full gas tank, I had just filled it and it took 16.8 gallons! I wasn't planning on running the car.

I also felt like maybe I could've taken 3rd gear all the way to the finish but I'm not sure. What gear do you guys pull through at the top and what's your shift points.

Hey all in all I had fun and I didn't exactly let the V down, I tried rep'ing it as best as possible. I was affraid that my first pass would be a 14.8!

My brother knows the truth about his DD GT, he just likes jabbing at the family vette. He knows I can't hold a candle to his 91 Twin Turbo Stang...yet anyway!

-John

What was your 60' on your best time? I still have yet to take the V to the track. I used to have an Evo that I took all the time and once I learned a few tricks with that I was able to cut consistent 1.6 60's.

How are you guys launching at the track, or does everyone just baby it because of the crappy diff?

·
Registered
CTS-V
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be interested to hear what tricks you learned to get your 60' times down.
Also to tell you the truth, I had very little tire spin through 1st and 2nd gear but I also didn't launch it like I would if it were my old stang. I also ran with the TC on and off and I think on is the way to go.

Can someone make my slip show on the tread rather than as an attachment?

Smoothmarine187-
My best time was:
13.65 ET
60' - 2.151
105.1 MPH

I'm running Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, I think those are stock tires right? Tire pressure set at 31psi which is my normal daily setting.

-John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts