Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cant edit posts here, so to complete it, what i was going to say is that im scared that this thing is going to take a crap early along with the trans, as i CANT afford that.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I agree. I've heard stories on the street but I've never heard anyone at a dealership talk bad about the N*

The guy that just helped me with my PCM is an ex N* tech from another dealership and had nothing but good things to say.

I think you just talked to the wrong person.

They do have a few semi-common issues, we buy them knowing that. They're a world class engine producing more than 1 HP per cubic in. While maintaining 25 MPG rating. There's a lot to be said for that. If it was that bad of an engine do you think they'd still be producing it after almost 15 years of production? There's a lot to be said for that too.

The 4T80E trans however if bulletproof.

If you want a car that's going to run forever buy an L05, but you won't get 300HP out of that.
Sounds like a disgruntled worker. LOL

They have certain issues but generally regular maintance goes a long way. Rarely hear of tranny problems.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
I see you just registered. Don't know how long you have been lurking, but you will see referrals to "The Guru", if you haven't already. He was a long time poster who was (is) a long time GM powertrain engineer who was also involved in the development and testing of the Northstar. Unlike the engineer you spoke with, he had nothing but good to say about it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
LOL, they're a great long life, easily maintained, very workable engine. I was mostly referring to stock though. :) I wanted to do the Vortec conversion on mine. I think that would put me somewhere close to 400 also.
Finally someone who agrees. :bouncy:

I don't know what people have against the LO5 engine. A 350 is a 350, pull off the 1980s fuel injection system that's strangling the engine and you have...a 350. People treat the L05 like it has leprosy and won't respond to small block engine modifications. I don't know why, unless I'm wrong which I don't think I am.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I find LT1 better to Northstar . In fact GM has been doing some improvements since 1993 ,right ? So, why do they do that ? In order to make the engine run perfect or cover some defects ?
If Northstar was a bad engine ,GM could have stopped it let alone promoting it using GM's top class .However what makes me upset is that why almost 2-3 years Northstar being changed ?
I haven't heard the same story for LT1 . I just like LT1 but that doesn't mean Northstar is bad in my point of view

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im reading up on it right now. This is someone i know, but i dont know him well enough to make up my mind.

You said the 4t80e IS bulletproof?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
No doubt. The L05 is much easier and cheaper to work on. Now stock the LT1 is the obvious winner in performance but you'll get a lot more for a lot less out of an L05

In fact one might be better off with an L05 rather than an LT1.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
From what I understand they're a very well built, very strong, long lasting transmission.

Im reading up on it right now. This is someone i know, but i dont know him well enough to make up my mind.

You said the 4t80e IS bulletproof?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
As nice as the N* is, the changes we see are evolution. They're subtle improvements to an already great engine. It's not perfect and we know that because of history BUT they're getting better and better all the time. They may actually BE the perfect engine soon. :bouncy:

I find LT1 better to Northstar . In fact GM has been doing some improvements since 1993 ,right ? So, why do they do that ? In order to make the engine run perfect or cover some defects ?
If Northstar was a bad engine ,GM could have stopped it let alone promoting it using GM's top class .However what makes me upset is that why almost 2-3 years Northstar being changed ?
I haven't heard the same story for LT1 . I just like LT1 but that doesn't mean Northstar is bad in my point of view

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Never heard of one in PDF, but some real bargains can be found on Ebay.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG AWD, 1997 Concours Deville (sold)
94 Posts
What is the L05?

It seems to me that the Northstar is unnecessarily complex. Dual overhead cam, 32 valve all aluminum. Why not just put a pushrod 5.3 L in and be done? It can produce 300 HP too.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Well, simply put the L05 is the basic Chevy 350. It's what's in my 93 Brougham and many other Chevy powered cars.

The reason for advances in engine technology have a lot to do with emissions and fuel economy. To run a L05 350HP or so there would be a lot of emissions battles to overcome and the 4000 lb car would probably get 10 MPG. So by building a better more efficient engine we can get more HP out of less CI with less emissions and much better fuel economy.

Now the aluminum come into play for weight reduction, smooth high RPM's, quietness, probably cost and I'm sure a few other reasons.

What is the L05?

It seems to me that the Northstar is unnecessarily complex. Dual overhead cam, 32 valve all aluminum. Why not just put a pushrod 5.3 L in and be done? It can produce 300 HP too.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Why not just put a pushrod 5.3 L in and be done? It can produce 300 HP too.
Yeah, THIS MODEL YEAR. They have JUST started building those 303-hp 5.3L FWD powertrains. The Northstar has been doing it since 1993. I don't personally feel that GM has kept current with the Northstar. It was HUGE for Cadillac to have come out with an excellent modern V-8 engine back in the early '90s that was on-par with, or better than, the foreign rivals. The engine received some updates in MY2000, but overall, the design has been relatively unchanged for so long. And it's been surpassed.

GM is working on the Northstar's successor (dubbed the "Ultra" engine series). It will supposedly support at least 5 liters of displacement (the Northstar is almost physically limited to its current displacement). I hope they can bring it to market with at least 350 horsepower and maintain the driveability and mileage of the Northstar.

They could install a 5.3L pushrod V-8 into Cadillacs, but they'd lose the "halo". Folks buy uplevel cars to get uplevel equipment. If I wanted a FWD burnout king, I'd go buy an Impala SS and be done with it. Cadillacs are different machines, with owners with different priorities (usually). The speed freaks on this forum are the exception to the rule. :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
What is the L05?

Yeah!

They should put small blocks in Mercedes' and Lexus' too!

:bigroll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts