1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pheew,

I managed in the last 2k to toast the following

Rear brake decided to stick and give me rotors red enough to put race brakes to shame and smoked

Rear Air Suspension = Replaced by Arnott

Power Steering Pressure line = From sitting

Trans decided to get bitchy, thinking fluid, so that got changed along with filters, but is getting replaced by a trans out of a STS soon, even though theres no problems.

I cracked the grill (DONT ASK)

I need to change my cabin airfilter becuase the old owner was a smoker (Great)

Maint. scedule has been this since the motor install
Oil put in motor for first time
10 miles - Oil Changed
100 miles - Oil, Trans Fluid, and Coolant Changed
300 miles - Oil Changed
500 miles - Oil, Trans Fluid , P/S Fluid, and Brake Fluid Changed
1200 miles - Oil Changed
2200 miles - Oil Changed, plugs, airfilter, and PCM needed timing adjustment in Tech 2 Tool due to fuel (the joys of having a mechanic for a parent who decided to buy a dealer)

Now, i hate to say it, i love the car.

Question, what is the BEST oil you can run in these cars. I dont want to run some crap oil becuase from what i am reading, it seems that it is the number 2 killer of these cars. I am looking at amsoil, redline, ect, but i am really confused.

Number 1 i know is coolant, and about that, how often do you change it?

The motor is under warranty for a year, and it was supposedly timecerted or something or another.

Motor was straight from GM, and had work done to it new i assume timecerted as this was supposed to be a good customers car, but some legal troubles happened and ended up in his hands, than mine.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
The oil debates on this forum are the stuff of legend. Just search on "best oil" or a few other variants and you can find 10-page threads between the dino adherents and the swear-by-synthetic crowd. If you think you're confused now try reading through 75+ posts quoting viscosity thermal cycling influenced by the cycles of the moon and why you should use a specific brand or type of oil. In the end you have to make your own decision but the prevailing wisdom I've seen seems to boil down to: Use the correct API and weight rating recommended for your car and change it when the oil life monitor tells you its time. Everything else is opinion. I use synthetic in my STS because I want to even though I've been told and read that I'm spending extra $$ just to make myself feel better. I've wasted more money on worse things. As for anti-freeze the predominant opinion I've seen posted here is check it regularly and change every two years and use the Barr's stop leak tabs per the manufacturer recommendations. There should be a sticker on the radiator cowl as a reminder. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
And the cabin air filter can be a PITA. Don't get a cheap aftermarket - there's so much flex involved in getting them in and out that the cheap ones fall apart. Do a search and read some threads before changing it, its really not as simple as it seems it should be.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Number 1 i know is coolant, and about that, how often do you change it?
Use Dex-Cool and change it every 5 years (or sooner).

Best oil? :horse: Chubby said it very well. :gun2::brutal: Lets not start another one.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,116 Posts
:thumbsup: I removed the cabin air filter in my STS a year and a half ago, PITA, and don't miss it one bit. (The cabin air filter does not filter inside air in recirc mode, only incoming......) Chubbyranger is correct on the oil thing.....Use whatever quality oil you like in the proper viscosity range for your engine/weather, believe the oil monitor, and buy good Scotch with the saved $$$. I prefer Pennzoil Platinum and WIX filters, but that's a personal preference, nothing else. (There's a post or sticky somewhere in here which is a TSB listing all the GM recommended oils........)

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil debates on this forum are the stuff of legend. Just search on "best oil" or a few other variants and you can find 10-page threads between the dino adherents and the swear-by-synthetic crowd. If you think you're confused now try reading through 75+ posts quoting viscosity thermal cycling influenced by the cycles of the moon and why you should use a specific brand or type of oil. In the end you have to make your own decision but the prevailing wisdom I've seen seems to boil down to: Use the correct API and weight rating recommended for your car and change it when the oil life monitor tells you its time. Everything else is opinion. I use synthetic in my STS because I want to even though I've been told and read that I'm spending extra $$ just to make myself feel better. I've wasted more money on worse things. As for anti-freeze the predominant opinion I've seen posted here is check it regularly and change every two years and use the Barr's stop leak tabs per the manufacturer recommendations. There should be a sticker on the radiator cowl as a reminder. Good luck.
WOOOOAH

Wait, stop leak in a motor that does not leak?

Somethings wrong with that.,

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,116 Posts
Well, yeah, sorta...^^^. The Bar's tablets (TABLETS from your GM dealer...) are actually ground up ginger and walnut shell. The dust has the uncanny ability to find the smallest casting imperfection, gasket scratch, or hose coupling leak and seal it - permanently. More engines than you care to know about use the stuff to guarantee leak-free mass production. These forums are full of threads about the stuff.........actually, in an all-aluminum engine it's preventative maintenance, just as are 3 -5 year DEXCOOL changes......

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Wait, stop leak in a motor that does not leak?
It's main purpose is to seal porous aluminum castings. It is preventative in nature.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
And OBTW expect your N* to USE OIL. Read here long enough and you can find out why - some double secret piston ring design as I recall. I feed my STS about a quart of Mobil 1 every thousand miles (apparently they use more oil if you use synthetic) but that seems to be an OK consumption rate. And another reason the engine has a 7.5 quart sump. Of course, you get the worst dipstick on the planet to read to measure your oil level - but its all part of owning a Cadillac. You'll get used to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts