Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yeah, While, to fix the paint, our local body guy we normally go to cut us a good deal on the paintjob, so i cant complain.

What happened was my father did a engine swap for the old owner, as per USED caddy warranty on the car. Apparently, what happened was he acquired the car from caddy financing as payment for the motor, trans, and all that fun stuff, as the guy never made payments i guess. The car was driven out for parts a few times, and once to Florida and back for some meeting my father had to go to.

Apparently, the paint had a few scratches that appear can be fixed, but the fading was because some kids acid tagged his windows in front of his shop, and apparently god the car too. He had his body guy respray the car quickly and didn't match it correctly, just off a bit. Nothing i am mad about.

Than, today, i go to go ahead and pay him for the rest, telling him about the car, but how ive had trouble with a few things like the new keys he had the dealer cut. The damn brand new keys dont work in the door or trunk, but work in the ignition. He ended up going and getting new keys made for me as he had these made, and when i go to pay him as we agreed to, he said screw it, happy birthday, I see you fixed a few things wrong with it and thats good enough for me.

So, for at this point, 375 dollars, i got a

Motor,trans,radiator,PCM,and a few other things with 2k on it (the warranty called it a "powertrain replacement"
Body with 100k
Paint that sorta matches
All new front steering and suspension and rear suspension components
A 32 valve northstar that sounds good
A caddy :)
Nice stereo system
Garage door opener built in
And my favorite feature of all, some REALLY hot girls start to see me as a option now lol

I am greatful beyond belief for this car, its just, i dont like it. I like the crown vic better. I get in it, and i just feel like i have NO connection to the car whatsoever, whatever i tell it to do is just a suggestion.

Maybe im just a freak, but i think my mom needs the car more than me, so i figured id rather have her enjoy something she likes rather than me drive a car i like, but just dosent work out or fit me. Maybe i will get used to it, i just think im going to get all the little pissy shit in this car fixed for her (just 1 or 2 things).

Now the best part of this is, i asked him if i can use the lift in his shop to work on our cars and he said i can use the lift and any tools i need. I think i made out on the deal well :)

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
What you have to ask yourself is the general condition of this STS...if it was parted out, has it been in a crash? What is the condition of the N*? The block you show looks original. Even for $400, you could still have a lot of trouble in disguise, unless you can do your own repairs (sounds like you have access to a shop). Go to tech tips and collect all you can. There is some great information there. Good luck!

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
What a great gift! Moreover, you had courage to post about your love of the Crown Vic over the Seville on a Cadillac forum, yet everyone has their certain tastes!

If you don't have any particular affinity for the car and you know it would bring your mother great joy, you should hand the keys to her. You'll love and enjoy that Seville more than ever when you see her smile everytime she drives it. You're good-hearted to think of her!

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What you have to ask yourself is the general condition of this STS...if it was parted out, has it been in a crash? What is the condition of the N*? The block you show looks original. Even for $400, you could still have a lot of trouble in disguise, unless you can do your own repairs (sounds like you have access to a shop). Go to tech tips and collect all you can. There is some great information there. Good luck![/QUOTE

my father did the swap

the car has some miles on the new block, trans, and all the other goodies roughy 2500, and its been sitting for a while, a year and a few months, being started and driven to grab a part once or twice, and getting its oil and fluid changed, excluding a few long trips. I was there when alot of the stuff was replaced / saw it.

Car was in a accident and i actually had good luck calling the body shop that did it. It said minor scratch on rear bumper cover, and i called the shop that did the work. Apparently he got tapped at a gas station and the front plate screws from the guy that tapped him sorta peirced the bumper. He claimed it was nothing to worry about purely cosmetic, and since the guy is MY body guy who sees alot of my fathers business, i doubt he would lie to me.

I was at the shop the day the car got acid bombed matter of fact. He had one of his mechanics spray it with what they could find, and he did a not so good job, but it works, and its not THAT bad.

The interior has a few things that went out as the cupholders wont retract, the sunroof wont open (unresponsive), i dont THINK the lumbar support works, either that or im a idiot and cant figure how to work it, and not the cars fault, but the car refuses to work with my new keys from caddy, oh and the rear trunk thing that keeps it closed, the clip cracked, and i think i did that again.

Either way, i cant complain, its a new engine assem. for gods sake (incluing new comprssor, alt., waterpump, ect.), along with trans, CV joints, axles, rotors, brakes, steering components, steering box, and suspension and struts. This car was supposed to be his wifes car after all this apparently, but the bitch ended up thinking that a caddy isnt good enough, and wanted a BRAND NEW m3.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but i can work on cars and own a AED 9PSI supercharged crown vic with a t5 swap and built engine. I have worked on cars before, so i think i can get this car in excellent shape.

And about the crown vic, Yes, i own a few of the CVs, but mine are all fleet vehicles (interceptors) that i went ahead and put carpet in and made more like a Lincoln.

I cant drive a FWD vehicle to save my life, BUT the dealer my father deals with and does alot of work for sometime had a CTS - V in that had a emissions related code on the dash that needed to be fixed, and he was selling the thing. God dang, i got on it a bit with him in the car, and i think i could drive that.

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interceptor over a seville...

wait, what ???
The crown vic suits me more. I like rear wheel drive over FWD, and i dont feel the damn steering wheel is connected to the caddy. I like my crown vic because i work for my dad, and needless to say, there have been times that i have had to go and pull a car out of a ditch when his tow truck was busy and it was snowing out and some idiot has gotten stuck.

I have also a few times had to do parts runs, and needless to say, a trans will NOT fit in the caddys trunk.

You also have to understand, the crown vic can get away with some serious miles vs the N*. I eat fast food all the time, throw crap on the floor, i am CONSTANTLY beating the crap out of the vic for some reason or another, and needless to say, the pushies i have had to use to push a car on the flatbed once when the winch couldnt lift the car for some reason after a accident.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
Sorry - but what exactly is an acid bomb? And where is this a problem geographically? Never heard of it in MI.

·
Registered
1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS
685 Posts
CV Interceptors will probably out handle a STS anyday......And they are made so you can tell what is going on with the tires on the road at high speed. Cadillacs are the opposite.... They do not give much feel at all of the road.... I think that is were you feel the major difference. Caddy STS are FAST but they aren't designed from stock to tear up a road course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts