Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I finally got some clear fogs and side markers :bouncy:. I bought them yesterday from a link i found on this forum on ebay and am awaiting there arrival within the next week or so. So my question now is what bulbs should i use for the side markers and the daytime running lights? I'd to use some white LEDs for the side markers but I am not sure what the consensus is on the DRLs. Any advice is much appreciated as usual. Thanks a lot in advance for this and all your guys' help leading me to this point.:worship:

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,857 Posts
194 for the side and 3156 or 3157. I forget which one gives off the amber color. But for legalgality, go with amber for both. Keep in mind, if you go with led on the 3156 or 3157 bulb. You will have the hyper flash. Unless you do one of two fixes. Expensive one is to buy and install two, one on each bulb, 1/2 watt resistors. Or you can open up the flasher module and remove the chip that senses when a bulb is out. Idk what chip it is off the top of my head right now.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
194 for the side and 3156 or 3157. I forget which one gives off the amber color. But for legalgality, go with amber for both. Keep in mind, if you go with led on the 3156 or 3157 bulb. You will have the hyper flash. Unless you do one of two fixes. Expensive one is to buy and install two, one on each bulb, 1/2 watt resistors. Or you can open up the flasher module and remove the chip that senses when a bulb is out. Idk what chip it is off the top of my head right now.

KOT
i think 3157 is dual intensity (so for brake lights) and 3156 is single, but you can use 3157 in a 3156 application without any problem. they can be both bought in amber, white, or other colours. i put white 48SMD LED towers in my DRL.. and i have clear side markers on the way, not sure if i will use white 194 leds in there or go amber. depends how visible they are in the sunlight/daytime.

·
Registered
2007 CTS SPORT
40 Posts

KOT
i feel like im an idiot for asking but im totally clueless about stuff like this... the resistors seem like they'll only cost a dollar or so. But after i get them where do i put them and how?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
for the DRL, slyvania has a bulb called the Silver Star. It looks silver but when its on, it's amber.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,857 Posts
i feel like im an idiot for asking but im totally clueless about stuff like this... the resistors seem like they'll only cost a dollar or so. But after i get them where do i put them and how?
For a 1/2watt resistor, it only cost $1.00? Hmm

As for where, put one on each housing where your gonna have the LED bulb. Close enough so that you are able to mount the resistor on a piece of metal, to disperse heat, and close enough to the wire. You don't need to get it so close to where you are almost cutting the wire directly on the housing of the bulb. I'd say at least 6 inches away from the housing or mid way between the housing and the first strapping point.

As for splicing into the wire, you want to cut the wire from the car. Do one wire at a time so that you would be able to keep the polarity straight as LED only works one way. If you are good enough at stripping, just remove enough of the insulation off with out cutting the wire. And then jab the wire to make a hole, half of the strains on one side and the other half on the other. This is so you can insert the wire from the resistor and be able to twist it around making a good solid connection. This is what I do when I need to tap into a wire mid stream.

Then of course wrap the wires separtarly with electrical tape.

KOT

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
Good L.e.d bulbs, you buy have resistors built in, so you dont need to deal with adding them. Ive tested it myself. Autolumination.com

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
for the DRL, slyvania has a bulb called the Silver Star. It looks silver but when its on, it's amber.
Is that anything like the Switchback LEDs? I ordered them for the retrofit headlights on my last car, but sold the package shortly before the car.

They were bright white when they were on, but flashed amber. They wired up to the parking lights and turn signals, so I don't know how/if they'd work in this application.

edit: I dug up this thread searching CTS and switchback. Looks he did something similar: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum.../204433-sts-v-fog-switchback-led-install.html

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
No. not the same. On the Silverstars, they color the inside of the glass Amber, the outside has a silver coating on it like a 2 way mirror. So when the bulb is off you see the silver, when it's on, the amber color shows. It's very simple.

·
Registered
Black 2003 CTS 3.2
73 Posts
so if I put LEDs in the side markers they won't need load resistors, even if it's a cheap LED, and leaving the filament bulbs in the DRLs? ***never mind found the answer :p ***

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
I installed a switch that turned my drl on and off. I hate seeing orange when I drive.. yuk... I use Sylvania Ultra's instead of Silver Stars now, they are bit brighter..

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts