Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 STS
55 Posts
i replaced the crankshaft postion sensors 1 month ago cause i was getting pcm 0340 and 41.
service light was still on so i just did the code procedure and i also cleared the codes. the service light
is no longer on.

i noticed the rss codes. i understand those have to do with the struts/suspension? what do i do about these codes since they are history.
are they still valid? this is my first sts 2002, got it about 6 months ago, with 50k miles. the first thing i noticed about this car was the stiff/rough ride
but on the board i was told this is normal for this car. any help is appreciated.

oh one other thing...as i go down a hill on the freeway, 65mph plus, my front begins to shake. so i'm thinking new rotors and front brakes
but now with rss codes is the shaking related to the rss codes?

here are my codes: they are all history codes no "current"

DDM U 1713
MSM U 1000
PCM P 0340
PCM P 0341
RSS C 0635
RSS C 0640
TTM U 1000

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
Re: so i did a code check

CKPs - CranKshaft Position sensors are different from the CMP - CaMshaft Position sensor. You had no CKP codes to start with.

What is the build date of the car - driver's door sticker ? Does the RPO (Regular Production Option) sticker under the spare tire cover have code F45 or F55 ? (Those are the STS suspension codes and F55 will show only after 01-15-02.) ANY STS does NOT have a "Cadillac ride".

Your C codes may point to bad strut electrical connectors - the suspension is constantly active and tightly controlled - one hiccup sets codes.

Unless the freeway pavement is rippled it should have ne effect on front end vibration - running free, coasting or braking ?

Please use (and bookmark) this link to decipher and post your codes. We don't have all thousand or so of them memorized - yet :rolleyes:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts
Re: So I did a code check - 2002 STS

CMP - front (passenger) side of the right (rear) cylinder head. One 10mm bolt, wiring harness.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts

i replaced the crankshaft postion sensors 1 month ago cause i was getting pcm 0340 and 41.
service light was still on so i just did the code procedure and i also cleared the codes. the service light
is no longer on.

i noticed the rss codes. i understand those have to do with the struts/suspension? what do i do about these codes since they are history.
are they still valid? this is my first sts 2002, got it about 6 months ago, with 50k miles. the first thing i noticed about this car was the stiff/rough ride
but on the board i was told this is normal for this car. any help is appreciated.

oh one other thing...as i go down a hill on the freeway, 65mph plus, my front begins to shake. so i'm thinking new rotors and front brakes
but now with rss codes is the shaking related to the rss codes?

here are my codes: they are all history codes no "current"

DDM U 1713
MSM U 1000
PCM P 0340
PCM P 0341
RSS C 0635
RSS C 0640
TTM U 1000
==============================
the first thing i noticed about this car was the stiff/rough ride
correct -
the STS has the FE3 - SPORT suspension -
it uses stiffer coil springs - and larger front and rear swaybars -

along with the stiffer suspension -
it has either F45 or F55 struts and shocks -
adding to the firmness of the ride -

what do i do about these codes since they are history.
a "Current" code will become a "History" code -
when the condition that set the code no longer exists -

this could be a "hick-up" in the system -
a bad connection/plug that re-establishes contact - etc -
OR after replacing a faulty component - without clearing the codes -

are they still valid?
sure - they can be helpful in solving an intermittent problem -

if you mean are they still "active" - no -
you can clear them if you wish -

here are my codes
like Sub already said -
get into the habit of including the DEFINITIONS of any codes you have -

there are simply too many to memorize -
and everyone reading your post must decide to either stop -
and go look up the definitions -
or simply skip your post and go on to the next one -

here is a great site for code definitions -
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html#pow

oh -
"U" codes are data link codes -
and usually say "LOST COMMUNICATION WITH..............."

these come and go regularly -
and - for the most part - can be ignored -
UNLESS the same code comes up quite often -

do you know what DDM - MSM - PCM - etc mean?

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People looking for a "performance Cadillac" with a "Cadillac ride" are in for severe disappointment.

I really appreciate how my F55 Seville rides, corners, slaloms, whatever. But it is not anything close to a "Cadillac ride", and I knew it before I bought it. If it was advertised to have a "Cadillac ride" I would have avoided it like the plague.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People looking for a "performance Cadillac" with a "Cadillac ride" are in for severe disappointment.

I really appreciate how my F55 Seville rides, corners, slaloms, whatever. But it is not anything close to a "Cadillac ride", and I knew it before I bought it. If it was advertised to have a "Cadillac ride" I would have avoided it like the plague.
That the best quote around here in a long time. I couldn't agree more. If my DeVille rode bad I'd trade it in a minute and if Vette didn't handle good I would have sold it quickly. Both were bought specifically for what they were good at.
Amazing how some research before a purchase can help and how the lack of it usually bites you in the ass...

·
19,286 Posts

==================================:cheers: couldn't agree more - :bows:

·
Registered
2002 STS
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

sorry for taking so long to get back to u...the date of build is 03/02 and its a f55. the service light went out for an hour or so, then came back so i ran the procedure again, and the code that keeps coming back is the pcm p0340 and 41 which is the camshaft position sensor. so where's the best place to get the sensor. also i need rotors and front brakes and that little indicator wire. that lets you know when your brakes are low. if this car comes with it.

·
19,286 Posts

sorry for taking so long to get back to u...the date of build is 03/02 and its a f55. the service light went out for an hour or so, then came back so i ran the procedure again, and the code that keeps coming back is the pcm p0340 and 41 which is the camshaft position sensor. so where's the best place to get the sensor. also i need rotors and front brakes and that little indicator wire. that lets you know when your brakes are low. if this car comes with it.
=======================
so where's the best place to get the sensor
I use ROCKAUTO.COM to get the part numbers -
and either google - frugalmechanic.com - or amazon -
to find the best price -

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts

If the car is a daily driver and you don't routinely run it up to 130 on tracks, look in either www.placeforbrakes.com or
You have one of the STS Magnetic Ride Control cars. After 01-15-02. Our 2002.5 and 2003 STS was the test mule for the Lord/DELPHI system that later went to Corvette and Ferrari, then to newer upscale Cadillac/Corvette. Many makes now use the MRC system in their "performance" models. Google "lord delphi magnetorheological suspension system" for study.

www.rockauto.com - for OEM brake components and pad wear sensors.

Many brake options, from sedate OEM rotors/pads to expensive, trick stuff.

If you intend to do the brake job yourself, study these forums first: There are several special procedures and torque values that you ay not be aware of. The rear caliper pistons screw back into the caliper - for starters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts