Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what seems to be the majority of opinion? Are you a person who likes to upgrade regularly... take a year or three lease, then switch? Buy and keep until it dies? Somewhere in between?

What about always buy new... or oh hell no, I'm not taking the drive-off-the-lot depreciation?

Post your thoughts!

Max

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,611 Posts
I am 70 and have owned 40+ vehicles. All but two bought new. One was a high school graduation gift of a 6 year old Corvair which I wish I still had but abandoned it in a tree a year or so later (who put that berm on the outside of a turn?). The other was leased when Infiniti still was old school Japan and built too many cars instead of laying off and offered ridiculously subsidized leases but no cash incentives.

Note to car makers: I have passed on your products several times entirely because your lease incentives were better than your cash incentives. Also for many decades have shied away from zero or low interest incentives and have passed on cars because the cash back incentives were worse. The exception being my ATS that I wanted so much (and still love) I ordered knowing zero interest was the only incentive. Didn't like all the complications such as unable to title in the name of a trust and monitoring the automated payments to make sure the bank didn't change its mailing address and claim late payment (happened to an acquaintance).

As to frequency, highly variable but less frequent lately mostly due to so much "been there, done that". So last 4 were 2009 Ram 1500, 2011 Mustang Performance Package, 2013 ATS, 2016 Mustang GT. Will probably be ordering a 2021 Corvette (no "been there done that" yet for mid engine or 2.x second 0-60 in a car).

I almost always special order my cars. Only exceptions are when a sudden need arises or I waited too long to order something that I didn't know was going out of production or changing for the worse the next model year. 2009 Ram was actually both reasons. Suddenly needed a hauler for son's racing when he went national and there was only ONE new V8 Ram 1500 with manual trans seemingly in the world still on a dealer lot at model year end and none offered in future years.

Depreciation is the cost of having EXACTLY the vehicle you want and less surprise problems after the sale. But for the record, I sold both Oldsmobiles I ordered for more than I paid for them new. And will probably get more than I paid (even adjusted for inflation) if I ever sell my '78 Trans Am WS6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m 31, I’ve owned about 160 vehicles since I was 15 and about 40 motorcycles. I like to build something then sell it most of the time. As I get older I’m starting to keep my vehicles longer and continue in more in depth builds as well as try to build something I actually enjoy driving instead of more all out race car stuff. Although my mind always try’s to revert back to race car stuff 🤕

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
I buy something new/different when I find something I'd rather have than what I already drive -
OR if it's just too good to pass up - OR if I hit a deer - OR if I get "T-Boned" -

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
933 Posts
My Toyota Avensis 2.2 diesel passed 302.000 km today. It is the best vehicle I ever had - and the vehicle I had for the longest time.

I’m immune to new conceptualized crap like driver assistance systems or infotainment. It does not make the driving experience for me or create any need to consume. I will never buy a new car unless it is a company car.

So I stick mainly to old cars and get satisfied with that. Bought my Volvo XC60 D5 aut. new - a damn pain with all the small issues new cars have. Need to go to workshop all the time and fix it on warranty the first 6 months.

The Volvo is still in the family, also passed 300.000 km. Drove it today. Feels like new. Damn solid. I made a mistake when I passed it on to my father in law. Said to him I want it back when he is done.

My 2nd gen CTS feels pretty solid too. Is at 90.000 km and no issues yet. Is candidate for long ownership too if I do not get tempted by an ATS or 3rd gen CTS. In such case it will be a second hand imported from Germany. No caddies here so I just have to buy one based on internet adds without driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,357 Posts
I still have my 96 DeVille, though she needs some work. Parts car acquired, and there is progress, however glacial. Can't believe I've had her for 11 years now. Always wanted a Cadillac since I was 3!

I always wanted a Silverado, and when the 2014s came out I was a goner. Managed to find a 2015 EXACTLY how I wanted one (sans the bedliner, but I fixed that aftermarket) in a better color than I originally wanted. Dad was way cool and helped with financing. Three and a half years and 136,000 miles later and my aggressive maintenance is paying off in dividends. Seems like yesterday he was brand new.

I generally find what I gotta have and keep it. I understand depreciation, aging and all, but it still boggles my mind that a vehicle can "wear out". Not if you take great care of it. Parts will wear, but the whole can stick around for a LONG time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. 136,000 miles in 3.5 years. You must live in that truck. LOL. I'm only at 30,000 miles (47,000 kms) in 5+ years.

Max

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
973 Posts
What is this "replace" you speak of?

Surely you don't give up a car that still moves under it's own power?

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
804 Posts
Between me and my wife, we get a new car about every 5 to 6 years. (No double loan payments.) In between we would also get a pre-owned car as a spare. There was a time when children were still living at home where we had 5 cars in the driveway.

Either way, we keep the cars (sometimes too long) until they have to be towed away from the driveway. There were 2 which we sold for $200.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have two near towing right now. Once I figure out how to strip the power steering wheel from the '01 DHS and pull a few possibly useful things from it, it's gone (I'd been waiting to see if I got another or a Fleetwood . . .), and once I manage to pull parts (door, fender, radiator, alternator) from the '95 Eldorado and put them on the '97 ETC, it's gone, too . . . and then my wife will do the happy dance, and we'll be able to get to the '06 Miata to swap the engiine . . .

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,502 Posts
The last new car I bought was in 1980. My current rides are 1988, 2003, 2005. They all still run & drive so I see no reason to change, unless I could get back my 1960 Beetle with folding sunroof.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, even IF you do drive until tow away, technically, it's still being "replaced" at that point. Just at that point, you've gone from WANT to NEED or MUST. 😁

Max

·
Registered
973 Posts
In my case, the next car has usually been around a while before the last one got scrapped!

(except when I went a decade without one, commuting by bicycle while my wife had a vehicle)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like that my business office was smart enough to put in a shower room for ppl who want to bike, walk, etc to work and be able freshen up upon arrival. They even allow ppl to keep their bikes in the field equipment storage room so they're protected inside during the day.

·
Registered
973 Posts
While I was at Iowa State, a belligerent janitor took it upon himself to have a bicycle in a CS lab cited for being there.

The thing is, it was a something like seven thousand dollar piece of lab equipment--it was the camera platform for an early virtual reality work . . . (and I got to see and participate a demo there of a driving VR, with, iirc, floor and three walls. They had to schedule time on a second supercomputer at another university, as their own could only handle two of the surfaces on its own! [oh, and without any feedback from the wheel, staying in a lane turned out to be a nightmare . . . we left teasing one another that we'd never get in a car with them 🤣 ])

1 - 17 of 17 Posts