Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well - besides this guy..

It's a '49 that is ALL Caddy - has a 1970 500inch motor and runs low 11 second 1/4's all night! :eek: I took these (blurry) pics a few months ago at Atco Raceway in Atco NJ.

BUT - what I'm really looking for is an idea of some real-world 1/4 mile times for stock/mildly modded Northstar cars like my STS might be. I've seen magazine reviews etc., and don't put much stock in in-car dynos that estimate 1/4 mile times. In my travels through some websites, I've seen a lot of dyno pulls, but no 1/4 times.

Anyone?

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I'd love to sit in that Cadillac! I've never dragged my Cadillacs.. I can't bring myself to do it. :p I know people have though.. Speak up! :) I'll get the time for my friend's 1/4.. He was at around 105 or so in his '97 STS.. Not sure what his time was.. I'll get it..

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I took my Allante to the track this fall. I had a blast. It was only a 1/8 mile track, but still lots of fun. Another member and I have been talking about meeting in Bristol Tennesse at "Thunder Valley". They have Tuesday and Thursday Night Street Fights, that are open to the public. Admission is $10, and thats the same I paid at I-40 Dragway near Crossville, TN.

I had 5 runs that night and the best was 9.95 @ 76.3MPH. I didn't have the Borla's then, and didn't know how to disable traction control. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do in the 1/4 mile.

Anone interested in meeting us in Bristol feel free to get in touch.

Don

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Actually, a member that just signed up "Jonathan" did the quarter mile in his '97 STS.. Maybe he'll swing by here and talk numbers...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allante North * said:
...and didn't know how to disable traction control. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do in the 1/4 mile...

THAT'S a trick I want to learn! I noticed right away that traction-control works in the STS. Not a good thing for 1/4 mile racing! :cool:

Nice 1/8 time with your car. Figure on roughly (but not exactly) half again of your time added to your 1/8 mile run puts you in mid 14's. :thumbsup:

My 'drag' car right now has been my Caprice. It is surprising for such a whale of a car. I am expecting mid 13sec 1/4's my next time out at the track. It has gone a best of [email protected] There is a guy from the local area that has a '96 Fleetwood with the LT1 that is running similar times. i'm going to point him to this board!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
What have you done to your Caprice? 13's is fast... And I'd really appreciate if you told this guy about the site! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sal Collaziano said:
What have you done to your Caprice? 13's is fast... And I'd really appreciate if you told this guy about the site! Thank you!
I left a post on the Fleetwood board on impalassforum.com .. :cool: Expect to see some of thosee guys here!

As for my Caprice - basic bolt-on mods. The iron-head LT1 is a pretty potent package in its' own right! The 14.2 was accomplished with a cold-air intake (trashed the stock airbox); 160* t-stat; pcmforless.com re-map; F-body MAF ($50 eBay part); 2 1/2" turbo mufflers and resonators removed; 3.73 posi. Goodyear GA all-season tires handicapped me quite a bit - the car has to be launched very softly or it just spins off the line.

I expect to be in the 13's with the completion of some exhaust work - a set of ClearImage Tri-Y headers (clearimageautomotive.com) and a pair of bullet style cats are now on the car, and it REALLY woke it up! The headers are a proven combo on the LT1 B-bodies. Plenty of guys running mid 13's with a similar list of modifications. I still hope to put a GM ZZ4 cam, roller rockers, and heavier valve springs. And of course, some kinda stickier tires.. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
jeff___H said:
I left a post on the Fleetwood board on impalassforum.com .. :cool: Expect to see some of thosee guys here!
OK, I'm one of them that he told...

I just got 3.73s and positraction in a few weeks ago. I'm estimating mid-14s next time I go.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey Dan,
Did you ever get your car running right? The times you were running with stock gears would never let you go mid 14's with just 3.73's as the only mod.
So how's she running?
I guess I'm the "local guy" Jeff was talking about earlier. My car is a '95 with a few mods, nothing major. The link in my sig will show you what she looks like and gives a list of the mods done.
Cadillac's should be fast and comfortable, and that's what mine is. Matter of fact, I just showed that to a new Eclipse today. He tried but once I had him by a couple car lengths, he just gave up.
;)
Kevin

J

·
0 Posts
Drag on fellow Cadillac'ers. Don't worry about your Northstar, it can take it. I ran my 97 STS at the Hamptons, NY for my first drag ever!! I'm not a real dragger so I have nothing to compare to but the experience was awesome. First run, with traction on the car stuck the pavement off the line and blasted with fantastic torque from 20 mph on!! I have to look up the details but I do have a picture showing 15.11 on my window after the drag!! I think mph was around 97 (mph is somewhere in my files, I'll take a look) ??

Second run was a bust at 16.45 because some track techies convinced me to shut traction off, remove air cleaner, and remove
side marker light to force air into engine. Bad Idea!!! Car moaned and groaned at the line & never really recovered.
Techies said the car never had a chance to "learn" the new air flow and adjust accordingly.

All in all, a great rush!! I highly recommend it. Much better than racing through traffic.

I'd love to go again, but would prefer to go with a group of Northstars.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Mr. Jon! Good to see you.. As this group grows, we'll certainly get a group of Northstars to make an appearance at West Hampton Dragway.. I do wonder what your car would have done had it 'learned' the new air flow.. You may have be in the 14's!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Draggin' Caddy.

Back in the 60's and 70's I was seriously in to drag racing.
A friend had a 1949 Cad Fastback with an early 60's engine and Cad Lasalle 3 speed trans.
I recall that he had a hard time converting it to stick.
He had to change the crankshaft.
The enging was built and had 2X4 carbs (AFB).
It ran in the 13's.
And was a beautiful car.

Pat

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Ya know.. I've never seen one of those old Cadillacs up close.. I certainly am missing something.. Aren't I? Is there a Cadillac Museum?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've seen magazine reviews etc., and don't put much stock in in-car dynos that estimate 1/4 mile times. In my travels through some websites, I've seen a lot of dyno pulls, but no 1/4 times.

Anyone? [/B]

It's good not to take much stock in Dyno 1/4 times. They're very unrealistic. Example: My motorcycle will run high 9s and low 10s consistantly on the dyno in my shop and tops out at 170 mph. pretty cool....Yes? Well in the real world it turns mid 11s and tops out at 150....That's quite a difference! There are MANY more variables to contend with in the real world.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Re: so - does anyone *gasp* DRAG RACE their Caddy?

kcnewell said:
It's good not to take much stock in Dyno 1/4 times. They're very unrealistic. Example: My motorcycle will run high 9s and low 10s consistantly on the dyno in my shop and tops out at 170 mph. pretty cool....Yes? Well in the real world it turns mid 11s and tops out at 150....That's quite a difference! There are MANY more variables to contend with in the real world.
When I mentioned dyno pulls, I meant overal horsepower/torque readings - not 1/4 mile times..

As for the bike - I know all about it! I've had my Buell on a dyno more than once. I still haven't had the guts to race it on a track. I have had it up around 140mph. It would probably go faster top-end if it had some kind of slippery bodywork on it. On the track, aerodynamics make a big difference, as well as traction, technique, etc.

I'm curious to see if anyone has actually raced their Northstar-powered Caddy on a track, and what times they got 'real world'.. There was a guy at Englishtown this past fall running a DTS, but I really didn't pay much attention to his times as I was racing.. :cool:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah Jeff, Buells are cool, A tech at my shop has one. Kind of light in the front end and short wheelbase for good quarter times(Gotta go slow out'a the hole to keep the front end down) but if you don't put the wrong cams in them they're MONSTERS in the twisties. Lotsa low end torque to pull you out the turns! The stock cams work best for what the bike was designed for. If you ever want to do any mods get ahold of me and I'll help you decide what will work for your kind of riding! That is after all what I do for a living.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought my bike new in '97. It has been modified a bit since I got it.. :cool: I am running cams from an S1 Lightning, modified Lightning heads (Tilley's), Forged lightweight pistons, 2001 spec cylinders (spiny-lok bores), a Mikuni HSR42 and a Force pipe. The pipe sounds awesome, but is restrictive for my setup. I am just under 100hp at the rear wheel..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My tech is putting out 104 with a VERY similar set up! The big mistake most of the Buell guys out here make is that they fall into the traditional Harley guy thinking about performance I.E. Big Cubic Inches/Big cams = go fast. The problem with that thinking is
with only two small valves per cyl. the heads can't breathe to feed the bore and the cams that they choose make power way too high in the RPM range to be useful for the application. Good for drag racing, Bad for canyon racing. a lot of car guys make these very same mistakes...Know what you're gonna use it for!

That last comment was not pointed at you Jeff. It was just a comment to the masses!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts