Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade ESV w/Kona Brown Interior
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm in CT inside the snow belt and have to travel between NYC and Boston regardless of weather.

Will I need snow tires b/c of the 22" rims and summer tires

Truck drive incredibly in RWD and sport mode, but I'm wondering how I will do in AWD in the snow and ice to come?...

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
UrbanCEO said:
Guys, I'm in CT inside the snow belt and have to travel between NYC and Boston regardless of weather. Will I need snow tires b/c of the 22" rims and summer tires Truck drive incredibly in RWD and sport mode, but I'm wondering how I will do in AWD in the snow and ice to come?...
If you have the 4wd, no need for snow tires for oem alenzas. Drove it throughout winter in all snowbelt states.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
You planning ahead for next winter ... or planning a trip to the southern hemisphere...LOL

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've tried both all season and winter tires in Michigan and New York winters with 4WD/AWD. You should be fine with good all season tires however there is a noticeable improvement with winter tires especially in deeper (6"+) snow. Also, the vehicle felt more sure-footed on a snowy expressway at higher speed. If you want the ultimate snow going rig then get the winter tires. I would recommend Bridgestone Blizzak, Continental ContiCrossContact Winter or Michelin Latitude X-Ice. However, if you don't want to worry about changing the wheels or wheel sizes I believe the Blizzaks are made in the same size for the 22" wheels. Check around now for next winter, you might find some decent sales.

·
Registered
2015.5 black premium, sold my black 2003 ESV
141 Posts
I purchased a set of bridge stone blizzak dm-v1 tires for my last escalade in a size 285/45/22, I purchased my 2015i last week, and had the dealership put my blizzaks on the OEM 22's before I took possession of my new escalade

·
Registered
17 Escalade,17 Chevy SS,88Corvette,71Corvette
458 Posts
Didn't have an issue blasting thru snow this past winter. No need to throw away money.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
4 wheel drive has nothing to do with weather or not you need snow tires. It gives you better traction for accelerating, but does little for cornering, and nothing for braking.

Personally, I'd get a set of smaller rims and put snow tires on them for the winter, if you think you'll be driving a lot in more than an inch or two.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
4 wheel drive has nothing to do with weather or not you need snow tires. It gives you better traction for accelerating, but does little for cornering, and nothing for braking. Personally, I'd get a set of smaller rims and put snow tires on them for the winter, if you think you'll be driving a lot in more than an inch or two.
If you downshift manually or use lower gears it helps put all 4 wheel traction in cornering and braking contrary to popular adage.

·
Registered
2015 Premium
7 Posts
There’s a 20” rim option on some models. It's best to stick with the rim size the car is designed for, otherwise some of the metrics will be thrown off. I used Blizzaks for ski trips this last winter and was able to go places that I couldn't in my AWD with M/S.

·
Registered
2007, 2008 CTS
77 Posts
There is no substitute for snow tires...period. A new set of all-seasons will get you through the snow for the first winter, but after that, expect diminished performance that second winter compared to a snow tire. If you expect to drive in ice and slush, get winter tires. Honestly, the guys who tout that all-season tires are "just as good" and you're "throwing your money away" are sending you down the wrong road. I have 19" Blizzak DM-V1 on my VW Touareg and they are fantastic. As pmartell12 stated, they make it the size that fits the Escalade. Being from CT, you're going to experience a lot of deep snow as well as slush when the weather hangs around the melting point. All-seasons will have longer stopping distances and less lateral grip. I'm from MN and put on about 50K miles per year, I wouldn't head out in winter without my snows. You wouldn't wear your sneakers in a snowstorm, would you? Same concept applies to your tires.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade, 2015 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
81 Posts
Anyone who says you don't need snow tires has never owned any. I live in NH with lots of hills. I put Bridgestone Blizzacks 22" on mine and it's like a train on a track ! And ice ? No problem. The special compounds make them very effective. Increases the stopping by 50%. And they are a lot cheaper than a trip to the body shop :) You paid $80k + may as well spend another grand on the snows!

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
NYTFLT said:
Anyone who says you don't need snow tires has never owned any. I live in NH with lots of hills. I put Bridgestone Blizzacks 22" on mine and it's like a train on a track ! And ice ? No problem. The special compounds make them very effective. Increases the stopping by 50%. And they are a lot cheaper than a trip to the body shop :) You paid $80k + may as well spend another grand on the snows!
I owned snow tires Bridgestone blizzacks to be exact. It's not a substitute to know how to drive in winter. Drive it faster than you would an all season, there's no guarantee that it will give you a more sure footed traction.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
79 Posts
New to the forum and Cadillac with our '15i ESV, but long time YukonXL owner, and also here in CT snowbelt.

Given our needs, and frequent travel to VT for skiing, I don't think twice about running snows. In fact, I'm running a set of 20' wheels with snows, simply swap out my 22' summer wheels for winter.

Alenzas are okay in the snow, but if you really need to get there, and don't want to worry about snow or ice and unplowed roads, these trucks with Blizzaks are unstoppable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We live in Southwest Michigan and get significant snow. Do you need snow tires? No. Do I put snows on my family's vehicles - yes. The added traction and control is a SIGNIFICANT difference. If anyone says differently, I believe they have never run a dedicated snow tire. Can't explain the difference, other than to say it is dramatic.

On my wife's 2015 Escalade, we run Blizzak DM-V1's - factory size 22's. Once you run them for a season, you will never go back. It's not a waste of money, it's a great investment in safety.

Now, there is NO replacement for driving safely. Even if you have snows, respect the fact that the roads are actually slippery and adjust your speed accordingly.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
m5guy said:
We live in Southwest Michigan and get significant snow. Do you need snow tires? No. Do I put snows on my family's vehicles - yes. The added traction and control is a SIGNIFICANT difference. If anyone says differently, I believe they have never run a dedicated snow tire. Can't explain the difference, other than to say it is dramatic. On my wife's 2015 Escalade, we run Blizzak DM-V1's - factory size 22's. Once you run them for a season, you will never go back. It's not a waste of money, it's a great investment in safety. Now, there is NO replacement for driving safely. Even if you have snows, respect the fact that the roads are actually slippery and adjust your speed accordingly.
I'm from mid michigan and travel frequently all weather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts