Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove home tonight from Syracuse on my BFGoodrich TWAs and when I hit town, I spun the tires on 1/10 an inch of snow. So, I knew I needed to take the chrome rims off anyway and have my stock 16s just sitting here with 4 Michillilen Symetrys (2 of which need to be replaced).

I was wondering if anyone has had experience running two snow tires in the front and all-season tire in the back and if anyone had any reccomendations. Its for an Eldo.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
Mixing tire types is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Here, it is 20F currently. Good thing I swapped out my dubs for the stocks w/Michelins last night. We got about 6-7 inches of snow in the past 24 hours. Don't mind the snow. The ice is a PITA.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
I tried running my 97 STS last winter with Blizzaks up front, regular all seasons on the back.
With the different tread patters, my traction control sytem and abs came on far too often.
Definitely not recommended with all the sensitive sensors on your car.

The proof for me is that this winter I'm running four matched snows on my 99 STS, and I've noticed that the car rarely needs to engage abs or traction control.

Good luck.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What snow tires are you running? Another though, could I get anothr 2 all-season with better snow ratings? I just don't want to get rid of the two good tires that I have.

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille
228 Posts
Yaemish said:
What snow tires are you running? Another though, could I get anothr 2 all-season with better snow ratings? I just don't want to get rid of the two good tires that I have.

An odd possibility would be to ask the tire shop if they would be willing to give you some money, or rather deduct from your total, a fair amount for the tread left on your two good tires.

Reason being, I know some shops will resell good used tires (the customer IS aware) at a pricing level that interests people strapped for cash.

If the shop is cool, they may cut you in.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Yaemish said:
I'm running Goodyear Eagle P225/60R16 EagleGW2.

If you look closely, you can see little arrows on the sidewalls. These are directional, 150mph rated snow tires.

You guessed it ... these are what they put on OPP pursuit vehicles up here in Ontario. I bought mine used when they switch around tires every spring on the cruisers ....barely used, mounted and balanced on my old STS rims for $200Cdn, or about $170Usd.

I feel as safe and secure as anyone on the road ... its all about traction control and not breaking loose ... the computers are there to help you, but rarely needed if you maintain your contact patch on the snow, at all four corners.

·
Registered
Eldorado 95
16 Posts
Yaemish said:
Drove home tonight from Syracuse on my BFGoodrich TWAs and when I hit town, I spun the tires on 1/10 an inch of snow. So, I knew I needed to take the chrome rims off anyway and have my stock 16s just sitting here with 4 Michillilen Symetrys (2 of which need to be replaced).

I was wondering if anyone has had experience running two snow tires in the front and all-season tire in the back and if anyone had any reccomendations. Its for an Eldo.
`Hi, in the last years I drove different cars (Jaguar XJR, Cadillac Eldorado, Citroen) and I got the experience that different tires on the axles of a car aren`t very good for the sensors of the abs and the traction control. Today we had about 4-5 inches snow and ice on the road and my eldorado with 4 new BF Goodrich All season runs really good. Two weeks ago with Goodyear snow tires in the front and 7 year old Goodyear all season on the back wheels the car was nearly undriveable at snow and ice. I think one can save more money with 4 good equal tires on a car as to spend a lot of money in the car after an accident. With greetings from bavaria

1 - 7 of 7 Posts