Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it isn't really time for this yet, but I'm trying to plan ahead a little. Anyone use their V in snow? I'm in the western suburbs of chicago and of course we are going to see snow this year. I've never had snow tires for a car, but this will be my first winter with the V as my primary driver. Any ideas on what snow tires to use or even if all seasons will do any good?

I'm trying to be proactive about this and see what experiences people have had in snow. I figure the car should be okay, it weighs almost 4000 lbs. , but just worried about traction.

:hmm:

·
Registered
2010 GT-R R.I.P. 09 CTS-V R.I.P. 06 STS-V & 05 CTS-V
128 Posts
I used my V in the snow.....i had snow tires all the way around. i used Bridgestone Blizzak. they are great tires and i had no issue at all.....other people were spinning going up hills and i drove right on by

·
Registered
GROO-V
2,853 Posts
I've been using the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for the past two years... I haven't had an issue with any snow that we've gotten in the past couple of years. It's a pretty good all around tire IMO. I've had them on the V now for about 30,000 miles and have gotten pretty good wear on them. Only draw back, if you care, is that it's not a run flat...

My $.02 :D

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
37 Posts
I have RSA's (worst tire ever), but this is my only car. And I live kinda near you- Aurora- so I understand your worry. I am going to get new Pilot's from Tirerack before the snow, but as long as you are careful, you can make it through the winter. This will be my 3rd with the car with no real issues.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for the past two years... I haven't had an issue with any snow that we've gotten in the past couple of years. It's a pretty good all around tire IMO. I've had them on the V now for about 30,000 miles and have gotten pretty good wear on them. Only draw back, if you care, is that it's not a run flat...

My $.02 :D

Nah, I dont need a runflat. I'm running Goodyear F1s right now. They are great it the rain, but not sure about the snow. I bought the car in February last year and used it maybe once or twice in the snow and the rear end was kinda all over the place.

Anyone know how to prevent the snow from falling??

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have RSA's (worst tire ever), but this is my only car. And I live kinda near you- Aurora- so I understand your worry. I am going to get new Pilot's from Tirerack before the snow, but as long as you are careful, you can make it through the winter. This will be my 3rd with the car with no real issues.
Aurora? I used to live in Batavia right next door! I've only seen one other V in the area and I know that guy from work.

Good to hear that you've made it through 2 winters. I'm sure the Pilots will be a big improvement for you this year.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone tried the goodyear eagle F1 all-seasons??

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Blizzak 50s are supposedly top of line.

In addition to any snow tire, throw a couple of manhole covers in trunk. They do not take up much room. Actually, I used to use sections of bulldozer springs, 18" long, 6" wide, 1" thick. Very heavy and compact.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blizzak 50s are supposedly top of line.

In addition to any snow tire, throw a couple of manhole covers in trunk. They do not take up much room. Actually, I used to use sections of bulldozer springs, 18" long, 6" wide, 1" thick. Very heavy and compact.

Should I ask how you got manhole covers for your trunk??

I might just stick with a few bags of salt................

·
Registered
2016 Black Raven CTS-V Previous 2007 Black Raven CTS-V
107 Posts
I've got a set of Blizzak's LM-22's that I used last winter here in Michigan. They worked great and were very predictable. So happens that I'm moving to Austin TX and won't need these any more and planned on selling the tires, just haven't posted them yet in the for sale section. I only used them for one winter, and I think I only put 4k on them. I paid ~$1100-1200 for them, make an offer if you want and we can always arrange some way to get them to you.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Should I ask how you got manhole covers for your trunk??

I might just stick with a few bags of salt................
5th amendment. Actually, I used to know somebody who worked for the only company left in USA that made them. My dad had access to bulldozer springs; as a result, I did not ask my friend for any (damaged) manhole covers.

And you thought you got me!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
The F1s were like beach balls in the snow - dangerous. In a Wyoming spring blizzard I found myself running with right set of wheels on the shoulder just to maintain a little traction with 25 mph top speed. With Dunlop winter/snow tires the CTS-V is a goat in the snow. The Dunlops can be driven year around, but they are not high-performance track-type tires by any definition.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The F1s were like beach balls in the snow - dangerous. In a Wyoming spring blizzard I found myself running with right set of wheels on the shoulder just to maintain a little traction with 25 mph top speed. With Dunlop winter/snow tires the CTS-V is a goat in the snow. The Dunlops can be driven year around, but they are not high-performance track-type tires by any definition.
Thanks for the info on the F1s. I think I might try the blizzaks or the new F1 all-season. The goodyear website ranks the all-seasons pretty high across the board. Anyone seen these yet?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Blizzak WS50 are the best you can get. I have used them on other cars here (I am in Round Lake btw) Their only problem is that they wear quickly on dry pavement due to the multicell compound. And they are pretty horrible on anything but snow. I just dont think they are worth it for the 3-6 days of snow we have to deal with. Dont know about Aurora, but up in NW burbs, they plow pretty quickly.

LM22 Blizzacks are a better compromise. Pretty decent on snow, better at least than an all season tire. And they are good on wet and dry roads as well.

I think you will be happiest though with an all season tire for the winter. They are better on dry and wet roads than any snow tire. You just have to be very cautious in the snow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have run Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST's the last 3 winters here in Wisconsin without any problems. You do have lighten up on the gas pedal of course! Tires seem to be wearing well as I will be putting them on my second "V" in a few months. Got caught once in a couple of inches of snow with the F1's on and was all over the road!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have run Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST's the last 3 winters here in Wisconsin without any problems. You do have lighten up on the gas pedal of course! Tires seem to be wearing well as I will be putting them on my second "V" in a few months. Got caught once in a couple of inches of snow with the F1's on and was all over the road!
I was soooo close to having a set of M3 DSST. I even had half the set sitting in my living room. I was too excited. :cloud9:
Then I finally realized that FedEx wasn't going to find the other half of the set.:helpless::banghead:

How much did you pay for yours? Where's a good place to buy them?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blizzak WS50 are the best you can get. I have used them on other cars here (I am in Round Lake btw) Their only problem is that they wear quickly on dry pavement due to the multicell compound. And they are pretty horrible on anything but snow. I just dont think they are worth it for the 3-6 days of snow we have to deal with. Dont know about Aurora, but up in NW burbs, they plow pretty quickly.

LM22 Blizzacks are a better compromise. Pretty decent on snow, better at least than an all season tire. And they are good on wet and dry roads as well.

I think you will be happiest though with an all season tire for the winter. They are better on dry and wet roads than any snow tire. You just have to be very cautious in the snow.
maybe i'll just go with the LM22 bilzzacks then. I have an extra set of rims so I can just mount them and and put them on the car as I need them. What is the wear like on the LM22s?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you use the M3s all year round or just winter? Have you tried the Blizzaks?

Maybe it just won't snow in Illinois this winter

jealous of all you guys in the warm weather states who don't even have to think about snow tires

1 - 20 of 23 Posts