Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just snowed for the first time on Thanksgiving and I took the car to Dunkin Donuts for coffee. Usually takes 15 minutes , but because of this car it took 45 minutes and I had to alter my route. This is the worst car I have ever driven in the snow. Luckily I just bought a Jeep Cherokee Limited , but I don't get it until Saturday . Still love the car and would not part with it , but it will be parked for the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, what's up fellow Rhode Islander :)

I am on the verge of buying a CTS but reading things like this scare me... it can't possibly be as bad as my Mustang was though

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Andrew_R said:

I am on the verge of buying a CTS but reading things like this scare me... it can't possibly be as bad as my Mustang was though
Mine drove fine through more than a foot of snow last year, on the stock RS-As.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Jon said:
Mine drove fine through more than a foot of snow last year, on the stock RS-As.
Not to call you out but I find that hard to believe. When I had the RS-A's, I was struggling make it up my drive way with 3-4 inches of snow. I just put on Michelin X-Ice tires and it's a world of difference. I'm no longer afraid to drive after a fresh snow storm.

BTW, I'm jealous of your new car...I wish I could snap up a deal like that but GM unfortunately makes me purchase brand new cars although they do give a huge discount (below dealer invoice and employee pricing).

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely worse or at the least just as bad
Andrew_R said:

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snow this time of year in RI is a mix of snow and rain , when I went out at 9:00 AM it had just started to rain and I could not make it up a speed bump if I tried. Plus I am running after market 18S with Dunlop Direzza tires, I tried to change them back to factory before the snow , but ran out of time.[

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
Umm..with a tire that is rated for summer only applications. The Dunlop Direzz is a summer only tire, you really shouldn't blame the car. Get the snow tires on and motor safely.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
You just lost any sympathy you had mustered by revealing you were driving in the snow with summer tires. Get your tires changed and try again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I currently drive a 4x4 truck and even I had a crappy time getting in to my office this morning. I left the house around 6:15am and didn't get there 'till around 7:30... and it's uaually a 20 minute drive

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Not to call you out but I find that hard to believe. When I had the RS-A's, I was struggling make it up my drive way with 3-4 inches of snow. I just put on Michelin X-Ice tires and it's a world of difference. I'm no longer afraid to drive after a fresh snow storm.
BTW, I'm jealous of your new car...I wish I could snap up a deal like that but GM unfortunately makes me purchase brand new cars although they do give a huge discount (below dealer invoice and employee pricing).

Oh trust me, I did have problems getting up my driveway too. My speedometer said 180km/h but my car wasn't moving, and I was launching snow across the street into my neighbour's yard. But what I mean is, I never had a problem on the street where the car was outta control and I was close to having an accident. It behaves fine on the road, even in almost a foot of snow. It's very well balanced and as long as you know how to catch the tail end, no problems at all.

And thanks for your comments on the new car. That one, I do need snow tires for. I've already ordered a set of Mille Miglias on Blizaaks.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't asking for your sympathy , I said I didn't have time to change them back and there was only 2 inches of snow.I can't imagine the car being dramaticaly better even with a winter tire without putting some weight in the trunk.
DDS rollin a CTS said:
You just lost any sympathy you had mustered by revealing you were driving in the snow with summer tires. Get your tires changed and try again.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
PAW 47 said:
Umm..with a tire that is rated for summer only applications. The Dunlop Direzz is a summer only tire, you really shouldn't blame the car. Get the snow tires on and motor safely.
I have the all season tires.

I was really surprised how well the CTS drove in the snow last year. It certainly handled much better than I expected.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pffft. 3" of snow and you have 18's? As I mentioned in a previous post, we saw a foot of snow over night (about a month ago). I still had my 20's on my car with the ZR summer tires. I had no problem with the car and I even went and tried a few iced over uphill roads and made it fine with the traction control. On my way to work that morning, there were all sorts of SUVs and trucks in the ditch....I slowly but surely made it to work without a problem just as my girlfriend did in my C320 with its 17" ZR summers.

Its about how you drive 90% of the time, not how bad the roads are.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Snowed here a bit too... no problems with the stock 16's and All seasons....

It's about the tire/rim selection as much as the car's drivetype

Eventually the S4 will be my winter car, and the CTS-V My summer car :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts