Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its snowing cats and dogs in NYC!
I had to my car across the street (alternat street parking you know...)
Anyways it was the first snow drive in this car (98 Deville).
Took a turn at about 4 miles per hour (VERY VERY SLOW) then taped the brakes to slow down and WHACK the car started spinning like a barbel. It slooowly started rotating about the center of the car as it translated ever closer to park cars. That was more excitment than I though.....got a full 360 and then some at 4 MPH....amazing.
I think I'll take the subway till it calms down out there. (people losing control left and right!)

Any good snow tales out there?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Took my little sisters car to work today b/c i don't drive the caddy in the snow and i slide into a mailbox and knocked it over. Went up to the people's door apologized and they laughed at me b/c they saw the whole thing. I was going about 10MPH and slide off the side of the road. had a pizza delivered to there house for them to aplogize further

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JJhomer83 said:
Took my little sisters car to work today b/c i don't drive the caddy in the snow and i slide into a mailbox and knocked it over. Went up to the people's door apologized and they laughed at me b/c they saw the whole thing. I was going about 10MPH and slide off the side of the road. had a pizza delivered to there house for them to aplogize further
Wish more folks were as responsible as you man......you read my thread about the jerk who fked up my car and took off about a week ago.....the more I look at the damage the more I know is gonna cost (i keep noticing little trim pieces cracked or missing/...damn)

Its the sicked feeling when you're sliding and can't do anything about it, time passes extra slow in those moments don't it? Anyway, good thing you took your sis's car, and sending that pizza was an amazing touch! (I'll rememebr it if I ever get into a situation like that)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Last winter, I tried to take a powerslide around a corner, and I ended up perpendicular to the road.... Foruntately someone helped me get it out so I didnt have to call the parents!!!!!

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
The Cad is dormant untill PennDOT stops throwing salt everywhere. However, My ATV sees plenty of use. That thing is a ball in the snow, and with the plow I can even make a little extra money to boot.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I head for our church parking lot at the first snowfall of each winter. It's big and empty most of the time and a great place to re-learn how my vehicles behave in the stuff. I can't wait to go there with the new CTS this year.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
c5 rv said:
I head for our church parking lot at the first snowfall of each winter. It's big and empty most of the time and a great place to re-learn how my vehicles behave in the stuff. I can't wait to go there with the new CTS this year.
We got this brand new suburban from GM, donated to us for research and testing, ofcourse we immediately took it out to the Univ. parking lot in the snow to do donuts. Ofcourse we slid into a bit of what we thought was heavier snow...turned out it was a curb like thing in the middle of the lot for planting trees in the spring. We hit that thing going sideways hard enough that that the rear axle blew out the other side....talk about trying to work your way out of a tight spot, thank god I wasn't driving...... (they gave us another one, after we gave them a lame excuse about how the thing 'fell apart'......they knew that we knew that they knwe that we knew ......but they could relate :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hearing some of you scared of ice and snow and trying be like 16 year olds in parking lot must make some of your bothers from the snow belt states hide their heads.You will not hear people north of the great lakes complaining about snow.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Well, until I get a winter car (2-3 weeks) I will be using the DeVille.... no snow tires either.... atleast it is FWD and has ABS...

I know the basics about driving in snow, but if it lets up later in the day, and it is still light out, I will clear the driveway, then roll the DeVille.... I'll go to the local high school (not mine) and practice driving in the snow and stuff, and see how the car handels and brakes and stuff......

...if your doing this stuff, can the cops come and give you a ticket or something? I mean it is better you learn in an enclosed area like a parking lot then to risk you, the car and other people on the road....

Also when it is snow and ice n the ground, is putting the car into a spin and slide really bad for it? I can't imagine the friction being that high so I woudln't think it woudl be....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
First off, I think the cops CAN give you a ticket if your on a public property (IE a public school parking lot), but otherwise they cant if its private property..... They may stop by and tell you to grow up, but beyond that I dont think they can do anything.....

When snow and ice is on the ground, sliding doesnt really hurt it that much.... Maybe a little, but there is hardly any friction (like you said) so I couldnt imagine it doing anything....

Powerslides are fun in a FWD car, but theres nothing like donuts and power slids in RWD.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well since I live in Canada I'll try to convert Kph to Mph as best i can. When I used to drive my 68 Hearse back and fourth to work in the snow i had a Serious Braking problem. The closest/lowest traffic bridge into downtown from my place was 14th st north. and there was this damn hill, i swear it was a mile long and 45 degrees in slope. reguardless to say since i worked alot of early shifts i had to be out on the roads to work before 5 am on a regular basis. well dispite the thing weighing 3 tons i had 2 choices going down that hill:
1. dont touch the brakes at all and roll down the slippery hill over 70mph.
2. tap the brakes, allow them to lock and skid down the hill like a sled at a even 45mph avoiding any possible speeding tickets.
Reguardless to say it was a great car to drive, just not under slick conditions.
im gone.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Well, until I get a winter car (2-3 weeks) I will be using the DeVille.... no snow tires either.... atleast it is FWD and has ABS...

I know the basics about driving in snow, but if it lets up later in the day, and it is still light out, I will clear the driveway, then roll the DeVille.... I'll go to the local high school (not mine) and practice driving in the snow and stuff, and see how the car handels and brakes and stuff......

...if your doing this stuff, can the cops come and give you a ticket or something? I mean it is better you learn in an enclosed area like a parking lot then to risk you, the car and other people on the road....

Also when it is snow and ice n the ground, is putting the car into a spin and slide really bad for it? I can't imagine the friction being that high so I woudln't think it woudl be....
One of 119
One of 119
One of 119
One of 119

I am getting :vomit: feeling. Be safe!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yes, I know my car is rare and all.... but this is all I have, and I would like to go out and practice on an open area so I get the hang of the car and all.....

my winter car will be either an 80's Caprice with the 305 or a mid 80's Oldsmobile (big body style) with the 307.... both are full body on frame, RWD cars, so that will be in to mess around with in a parking lot or something, both of those enignes don't have much power, but i am sure it is plaenty to do some neat things with in snow.....

ahhh
this sucks, beucase of my car insurance, $338/month, but for half the year, then I have 6 months of no payments...so I am unloading stuff on ebay, but hopefully I will be able to get a winter car real soon....

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Snow... well I might be skiing right now except that there's only about a 10" base at taos. And no snow in the city. I'm going to have to have some parking lot fun when/if any snow falls this year.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
airbalancer said:
Hearing some of you scared of ice and snow and trying be like 16 year olds in parking lot must make some of your bothers from the snow belt states hide their heads.You will not hear people north of the great lakes complaining about snow.

Imagine that.....Someone with an I.Q. Higher than 7.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I re-learned something today:

Always remove snow and ice, on and around the power antenna before you turn the car on to 'warm it up while you clean off snow'...especially if you left the radio on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mr.Fleetwood wouldnt even make it out of the driveway (its a steep driveway) after some ice scraping and salt the car made it up just fine/ Havent taken it out since Friday before the snow started.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Sheesh. If you can't drive in the snow, STAY HOME! Some lady just high-centered a Buick on the pile of snow along the curb in front of my house. :helpless: I'm fully expecting that transmission to turn into shrapnel in a few minutes....reverse, floor it, jam into drive, floor it, get fed up jam into PARK while wheels are still spinning......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts