Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
the 1959 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Ambulance by far! after driving a 68 Caddy Ambulance for 2 years and occasionally driving a 1971 Caddy hearse on and off for a while the older, heavier & bigger the caddy - the better.
im gone.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Yes, I should have included the deVilles of 1989-1993 also.
My '03 Town Car is the smoothest car ever made. Every road was repaved over night while you slept - that's how the TC feels, and heavy, very heavy and silent. I never would have bought it, but my Caddy dealer shut down and the next "closest" (all things are relivant) was just to damn far away. The Lincon dealer was 7 miles away and gave me a Town Car to take home for the night. By 11AM next morning I was there with check book in hand. I drove a friends 2002 deVille DHS. It's faster with more torque & power, but much poorer brakes (braking) and not as smooth a ride & more wind noise.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Now that I think about it, a 76 Fleetwood 75 Limo would probably be the smoothest. 151.5" wheelbase and 5889 pounds. If you don't include the limo, then it's the Fleetwood 75 sedan, same wheelbase, 5746 pounds.

·
Registered
383 Posts
really..... well. maybe I will take you up on that. My boyfriend had air ride and his ride was so bumpy. I would do anything for air ride. I just am scared that it is going to cause problems with everyday usage.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
From what I've read, the pre-93 Fleetwood RWD's had the smoothest ride of any recent Cadillac years - but I think the late 80s and very early 90s Lincoln Town Cars might have been a bit softer.. Beyond the 80s and 90s, I don't have any idea... But I know that Lincoln was always known (back then) for its soft ride - and the Cadillac for its power...

Sandy.. I hear quite often how the newer Town Cars handle a bit better but don't ride as nicely as the early 90s.. They (Lincoln enthusiasts) say that as the 90s went on, the ride got stiffer...

In regards to the DeVille seats - they're hard in the mid to late 90s. That's why I don't own one...

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Sandy.. I hear quite often how the newer Town Cars handle a bit better but don't ride as nicely as the early 90s.. They (Lincoln enthusiasts) say that as the 90s went on, the ride got stiffer...

I heard that, too - but truthfully I have more experience with Cadillacs & Imperials of "yesterday" than Lincolns. My 93 FWD 60-Specl is extremely nimble, like a ballerina and fast as all heck, but with so-so braking and some low to moderate wind noise at speed. 9,777 miles. The Town Car (2,033 miles) has a much heavier feel, slightly slower steering, definately less power, but with braking that feels like you deploy a parachute each time. No wind noise, and the smoothest ride I have ever felt. The Caddy radio, makes the Town Cars like a 1965 Transister AM radio. Both have extremely comfrtable seats, plush, soft and buttery smooth leather.
Color-wise, the Caddy is a showpiece with her deep black-orchid midnight purple pearl paint and Snow White leather, with white carpeted floor mats.
The Town Car is Platinum-Jade Firemist, a light shade of Silver-Green, with an enormous amount of metalflake in it. Interior is the color of cream of mushroom soup, (exactly) They call is "Latte" !

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have driven many cars from the 50´s to the 90´s and the smoothest ride is in late 50´s to early 70´s cars. They have a longer wheelbase and softer springs and shocks compared to the later model years. Also They run on high-profile fiberglass belted tires which are much softer than today´s low-profile steel belted tires. Unfortunately nearly everything which smoothens the ride is affects the handling negatively. I felt the difference when I changed from stock wheels to 40series tires on 18" wheels on my ´93 Eldo. But the Eldo still beats my friend´s S-class Mercedes of the same year on stock wheels in smoothness!!! :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fritzi said:
really..... well. maybe I will take you up on that. My boyfriend had air ride and his ride was so bumpy. I would do anything for air ride. I just am scared that it is going to cause problems with everyday usage.
Just let me know when you want to do it. We'll sit down and map it out. My last system I did for under $1500 with Shockwaves at $800 a pair. Depending on what you need I can probablly get it Under the $1000 ball park. No garuntee's though. FWD can be a totally different ball game.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts