Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am amazed by the softness of my 92 devilles ride! I got this car to have an incredibly smooth ride as a nice change from my trans am. Anyway, I was wondering how my cadillac stacked up against other models from any year for a completely smooth ride. Im not talking handling here - I mean just smoothness over the road. I imagine the broughams from my year and even the newer ones had a smoother ride from being bigger and probably more softly sprung. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
my mothers '89 Brougham has a "smoother" ride then my car... but besides that, and a few 90's Town Cars I was in, my car has the best ride....

...I would imagine Caddys form the 50's woudl have some of the best rides though....
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
I have a very smooth ride. I can drive over railroad crossings and not feel a thing. Naturally, handling suffers a bit.....
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Mine is very smooth, especially with the air ride. Generally speaking, anything RWD, longer wheelbase, and more weight will be smoother IMO. The smoothest and quietest car I was ever in was my dad's mint 1979 Olds 98 Regency Broughm. (He sold it in 1991 with 22,000 kms to buy the Caddy I'm driving now) It was so well insulated you could not even hear the engine. Wheelbase+weight+extra insulation= one smooth ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Seriously, You want to feel that classic "floating on a cloud" ride. You need to get in an old school Cad. Even with it's wore out suspension mine floats. The mide 90's and newer cars lost that ride for handeling. My 85 sort of had it, but my 60 is all about it.
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
I ran over a big orange cone last week and I didn't feel anything.. But the softest ride ever has to come from 75-76s with their 5100+ pounds worth of momentum and 130" wheelbase. You could probably run over a cow and not notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, great. A couple of questions though. Why would front wheel drive affect ride smoothness? Also, does the air suspension really help smoothness? I thought it was just to level the ride? Anyway, my car seems to ride very smooth. I can tell it was not tuned for handling at all, just ride, lol. How would it compare to these cars?
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
ok, great. A couple of questions though. Why would front wheel drive affect ride smoothness? Also, does the air suspension really help smoothness? I thought it was just to level the ride? Anyway, my car seems to ride very smooth. I can tell it was not tuned for handling at all, just ride, lol. How would it compare to these cars?
I have read that RWD is better balanced because of the rear axle, and therefore distributes weight and vibrations over a greater area. Something like that, anyway, about the CCR "air ride" here is a direct quote from my 1991 brochure, and how it contributes to road feel:

"New Computer Command Ride,
Cadillac announces a new speed sensing suspension called CCR. It cushions city driving, yet affords you impressive control and road feel on the highway. Accelerometers sense lateral acceleration and signal the CCR to reduce body sway. CCR also helps to keep the car level when accelerating or braking. CCR is standard or available on front-drive Cadillacs. Speed Dependant Damping, a similar system, is standard on Allante."

"City Mode: open valve allows softest ride"

"Normal Mode: partially closed valving improves road feel."

"Firm Mode: fully closed valving offers maximum control."

At various speeds, the computer adjusts the valving appropriately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I am a die hard Cadillac fan....but I heard from some old school Goombas that the lincoln is the best ride. The reason I looked into is is because I have a 96 STS that is not that smooth....and after I rode in a 92 Crown Vic (taxi cab) It made me wonder??????


Castronova
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Castronova said:
I am a die hard Cadillac fan....but I heard from some old school Goombas that the lincoln is the best ride. The reason I looked into is is because I have a 96 STS that is not that smooth....and after I rode in a 92 Crown Vic (taxi cab) It made me wonder??????


Castronova
Why does that sound like the a scene from Donny Brosco?! :histeric:
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Personally I dont think much can beat a 94-96 Fleetwood brougham..... Just my opinion....

Ive never ridden in a old school caddy, but those big old boats have to ride nice.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
SupaFly said:
Elwesso, I think that's the first thing you were ever right about. ;)
Don't speak too soon :histeric: . I kid, I kid :p . I'll say this. After owning both they both have thier good and bad. My 60 has awsome ride comfort but handeling is non exsistant. My 95 had great power potential. This one is kind of limited. But when it comes to overall cool factor, I think the 60 wins. But there will always be a whole in my heart that only my 95 can fill (sniff) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
I am amazed by the softness of my 92 devilles ride! I got this car to have an incredibly smooth ride as a nice change from my trans am. Anyway, I was wondering how my cadillac stacked up against other models from any year for a completely smooth ride. Im not talking handling here - I mean just smoothness over the road. I imagine the broughams from my year and even the newer ones had a smoother ride from being bigger and probably more softly sprung. What do you guys think?
I miss my 91 deville it was the best car! untill september when i got into an accident. Now I have a 1997 cadillac concours and for some reason my 91's seats were more comfortable, but my 97 steers better.





I was featured in Lowrider Magazine with that car......ahhhhh memories...... :crying2: :crying2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
you were in lowrider magazine!!!! wanna be my friend !?!?!/

p.s. my devile was real smooth before I put my 20''s on it - vibration city now
 

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
Joined
·
5,929 Posts
1989 to 1992 Fleetwood & 1993 60-Special
1974-1976 Fleetwood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Fritzi said:
p.s. my devile was real smooth before I put my 20''s on it - vibration city now
Yeah I'm kinda curious what mines gona be like once I get my 20 inch steelies and bags on it. Although, I've had good experience with my bags and low pros befor. So I'm hoping I'll land heads up again. Then again, when you drop frame at 60mph you really can't complain too much :D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
i am not going to put bags on my car till I have a back-up ride. I can't wait though. That thing will be sitting on the ground as soon as I can get another car. I mean , my car is still smooth. But the dubs certainly make a difference. Not to mention the bags are going to be even worse for the ride itself I think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Fritzi said:
i am not going to put bags on my car till I have a back-up ride. I can't wait though. That thing will be sitting on the ground as soon as I can get another car. I mean , my car is still smooth. But the dubs certainly make a difference. Not to mention the bags are going to be even worse for the ride itself I think
OK, first off, you don't need another car. If you're worried about reliability, don't be. Good systems last well over 100k miles when done properly. Secondly, why do you think it'll be worse? You're spending too much time with the rice boys. Give me your car for 1 wekend. I'll have that thing sit'n frame and riding as comfortable as it does now. Granted, I don't sleep that weekend, but it gets done. With the right setup that car can retain very close to stock ride. In some cases better, but heavy cars like these need big bags. The biggest mistake I made was wasting $800 on a pair of shockwaves and drop spindels for my Fleetwood. That and being cheap and running water cooler hose instead of air line. Long story, leason learned :D . 2500lbs bags aren't enough fo those cars and the spindels didn't give it enough travel. So it got a little bouncy when it was aired up. Now 2600lbs bags and relocated shocks done right, Solid. Good shocks help too. If you're not into a stupid fast system, you can make these things really comfy. For me 3/8 line and ports is perfect. Even then they fall like bricks when you air down. And when they hit it hurts. Your kidneys will not be happy with you. Honestly, there's compromises in everything, but done right it can be brought to a minimum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey Sandy, what makes you say a 93 60 special; isnt it the exact same ride as a regular deville? Also, the cars u mentioned ride smoother than your town car??
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top